My first Tri

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My first Tri

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Skip wrote:I haven't been swimming in open water for years. We swam in a lake that was muddy and I couldn't see a thing in the water. It was like swimming with your eyes closed until you lifted you head out of the water to sight on some object (a buoy). It was very uncomfortable swimming like that and I didn't enjoy it at all.

That's why I suggested you spend some time swimming in open water. It is very different than a pool. Even in the relatively clear water of Lake Tahoe, you have to lift your head regularly to sight. The rocks and logs on the bottom don't work as a map.

The bike was fun but with me on a hybrid bike vs the fancy tri-bikes and road bikes that most had, I really got passed a lot.

If you're racing against other people, then yes, equipment makes some difference. But if you're racing against yourself, it's irrelevant.

My legs were like rubber after I got off the bike and started to run, so I wasn't setting any speed records there either.

That's why I suggested some brick workouts. It's definitely a unique feeling. It doesn't really bother me, but I think that is because I have short legs, and a quick running cadence that is close to my pedaling cadence. But running on dead legs takes some mental power.

I don't think I will enter any more races. I enjoy working out but don't see the need to race. I can challenge myself without having to race others.....

Racing isn't for everyone, but kudos for giving it a go. I love it. I push harder in races than I do in training, and I'm excited, motivated, and inspired being around a bunch of others all trying to do their best. I like the sense of accomplishment of surviving some crazy off-road course. I don't get wrapped up in numbers, because off-road, they don't count for much.
vgpedlr

Postby Skip » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:13 pm

At least with clear water you can see the competitors next you and in front of you for drafting without lifting your head out of the water. With the water that I was swimming in, you couldn't see 2 feet in front of you. Imagine swimming with your eyes closed all of the time unless you lift your head out of the water to see. Lance thanks for all your encouragement and knowledge.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby Skip » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Upon further reflection, the biggest mistake I made was not doing enough bike training. I find myself thinking, I'm now going to try this again as I am a competitor at heart. I'm really competing against myself and want to build inner confidence!
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:37 am

I knew it, the bug has bitten!

Most of the time in a tri you are on the bike, which is why most train the bike more. The Olympic distance is the most balanced, and XTERRA off-road triathlon is all about the MTB. The swim is just a warmup and the run is just something to survive.

Pick a race, put it on the calendar and get going!
vgpedlr

Previous

Return to Exercise and Fitness