Follow my Triathlon Training ;)

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Follow my Triathlon Training ;)

Postby sirdle » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 pm

plant_eater wrote:I did get on my new bike roller trainer to get acclimated to them. Got it picked up in about 20 minutes trying to ride on ice, then spent another 20 minutes learning the balance, moving hands around on the bars, shifting, putting down power and moving around in the saddle. I got the hang of it, next time I will try an actual workout on them.

Ha. I can't believe they still make those things. 8)

I used them more than 35 years ago! Never could get the hang of them. I had to set them up in a doorway, so if I veered to one side, I could keep from crashing by pushing off the door jam with my elbow. :oops:

My buddy wasn't so lucky. He had a poster of Eddy Merckx on his wall. One day he was leaning far to one side... trying to see if his legs looked like Eddie's... and he lost his balance and crashed. (Hey, we were 16, okay?) We never let him live it down. :lol:

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby plant_eater » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Today was a much better day for the workouts. Got in a great 2,500 yard swim workout, with 875 yards of them being kicking drills.

After a nap I went out for a 3.5 mile run. Not enough fuel in the tank and it had got up to 85*, heat, lack of fuel, and the weirdness of the time change, put this run down for the count. Cut it short at 3.3 miles with a weak 11:35 pace.

Also after some retrospection I have discovered a couple of items that might be exuburating my ankle issue. 1) even at a lowly 245 miles, my shoes are worn out. 2) started doing 100 jumping jacks in the mornings 3x a week.

Time for new shoes and time to cut out the mostly low value jumping jacks. Good for raising heart rate, creating a sweat and tweaking the ankles.

Until next time, C/Ya
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Getting started on the weekend training.

The standard 3.6 mile run around town followed by a fairly easy 18 mile Z2 bike ride.

Beautiful day to be outside today :-D
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Ok so to wrap up last weekends training,

Sunday was a 9.5 mile trail run/hike, Monday I attempted a 4k yard swim workout, didn't have it in me and called it a day after 1,800 yards.

This Fridays training was:
3.6 mile run, followed by the big 4,000 yard swim workout, followed by yet another 3.6 mile run. Today was a rest day.

I have my first race of 2017 coming up April 2nd. 10 Mile trail running challenge with 1,600ft of elevation gain. Last year it was 9 miles and 1,400ft and I did it in 1:43. Hoping to make or break that time with the extra mile and 200ft added on. Hopefully my pesky ankle pain will not come back to haunt me.

http://pasadenarunningcompany.com/trail-challenge
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Today was Trail Running day, yay!

10.3 miles, 1,900ft of climbing, 5 miles Up, 5 miles Down. 2:20mins

Not as technical as the upcoming race, but difficult in its own regard. Long winding single track trail with a forever climb. The race will feature a dirt fire road as a return downhill road which is much faster coming down then coming back down single track.

My body feels good, no real pains or issues. I think I am on par to make a great race next weekend!
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby sirdle » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Sounds like you're ready for next weekend! 8)

Good luck! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby plant_eater » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:23 pm

So today was a pre race stress test run.

Same single track trail, 6.5 miles, 1:19, 1,300ft of climbing.

Kinda tweaked my right calf muscle. Will do some stretching in the morning, some spinning on the bike and perhaps a fast 5k. Then its eat and rest for the Sunday race.

Until next time, C/Ya :-)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Got my first race of the season in this Sunday.

10.5 miles, 1,400ft climb, got it done in 1:53

Average midpack finish, 16 out of 27 in age group 40-49. 69 out of 153 overall. No injuries, ankle seemed to hold up fine. Took a nice little tumble running down the mountain, luckily only a couple scratches and a small bruise on the hip.

C/Ya
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Haven't updated in a week so here we are.

Last Saturday was 1.5 hours on the indoor bike rollers followed by a fast 5k. Set some personal best times, Best mile 7:47, Best 2 mile 16:38, & Best 5k 27:14

Sunday was a 22 mile bike with 1,300ft climbing over the first 11 miles followed immediately by a 13.4 mile run with 700ft of climbing. Nutrition took a poo at mile 11 and had to walk the rest of the way home, they call it hitting the wall.

Monday was 2,800 yard swim workout

Today, Friday was a 3,000 yard swim workout.

My big Ironman 70.3 is in just a few weeks away. My assigned bib number is 788 and there are approx. 270 participants in the M45-49 Age Group. If I survive the insane swim I will be on point to have a excellent race.
(almost all triathlon related deaths are men over 40 and all happen on the swim, just a little tid bit of 411 :duh: )

Getting excited and anxious!
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:03 pm

60 mile bike ride with 3,500ft of elevation gain, max downhill screamer speed was 49.2mph.

Jumped of the bike and ran around the town for 9 miles.

All in all a great workout today. Tomorrow is rest day and then Monday its back in the pool.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:11 pm

3,500 yards in the pool today, easy recovery swim. 1,000 warm up, 1,000 pull buoy, 1,000 kick with fins, 6x25 sprints, 350 warm down.

C/Ya
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:36 pm

2,600 yards in the pool.

2,000 wetsuit swim, non-stop at 75% effort, 500 yards free swim non-stop at 80%, 50 yards streamline kick on back @50%, and 50 yards free @50%.

5K run on treadmill, 27:11 (8:43 pace)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Saturday was a 45 mile bike ride with 4,200ft of elevation gain, 3,500ft in the first 10 miles! That is a category 1 climb, pretty much the hardest out there. At mile 40 I chose to cool off in a running river so I sat down in it to cool off only to realize I had my phone in my back jersey pocket that was at that point totally underwater! Doh!! It was time for a upgrade anyways, lol

Sunday was a 7.5 mile run on tired legs. Had descending negative split times, started at 10:31 slowed to 11:47 at mile 5 then picked up the pace and descended down to a finishing pace of 9:37.

Today was going to be a swim workout, but just chose to take the day off. All my big training for my upcoming Ironman 70.3 St George is done. Next weekend will be a light swim workout, transition practice going on the bike and coming off the bike for the run, perhaps a couple of 5ks and a short bike ride.

Just a couple of weeks a way, super excited to be going to the North American Pro 70.3 Championship race!

Plant Power!!
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:26 pm

2,800 yard swim workout followed by a windy 5k

Ironman 70.3 Saint George is next weekend, all the hardwork is done. Its time to practice some technical transition work and rest up and recover. Next time I post it will most likely be with race results.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby Yomom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Best of luck to you. I look forward to hearing how it goes.
Yomom

PreviousNext

Return to Exercise and Fitness