Follow my Triathlon Training ;)

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Follow my Triathlon Training ;)

Postby plant_eater » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:39 pm

I got in 8.5 miles of desert running today. Powered by potatoes, beans and rice.

8.5 miles, 1:31 minutes at approx 10:35 pace, burned approx. 1,300 calories!
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:03 pm

1 hr bike training session followed by 3.6 mile run.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 pm

This last weekend was a great weekend of training.

I got in my first long ride of the year and had a hard and fast (for me) run at the beach. Sadly I seemed to have damaged something in my right ankle as it has been swollen and tender all week. I am ready for another weekend of training, but will have to keep this weekend very mellow. Will focus on swimming and some easy bike trainer sessions, maybe a short 3.5 mile run.

Anyways:

Saturday 11th: 55 mile bike ride with friends. First 27 miles was at good clip, second was easier Z2 riding. 55miles, 3:35hrs, 1,600cal.

Sunday 12th: 8.6 miles, 1:23hrs, approx 9:39 pace, 1,300cal.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby sirdle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:56 am

Coming along nicely!

Just curious -- that's an awful lot of 'extra' calories to make up on a plant-based diet. What are you eating for high-calorie meals which are low in fat and protein?

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby plant_eater » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:54 pm

sirdle wrote:Coming along nicely!

Just curious -- that's an awful lot of 'extra' calories to make up on a plant-based diet. What are you eating for high-calorie meals which are low in fat and protein?

Typically Bananas, Rice, Beans, Potatoes, Oranges, Apples. *Vegan Burger, *Vegan Carrot/Kale Cake (slice), and maybe some *beers in the mix somewhere. (*rare treats last weekend) :)

Today, Saturday the 17th:

1hr on the bike trainer, 3.5 mile run, and a short 800 yard swim. Powered by a Grapefruit, Orange, Apple, and Lentils. Wasn't quite enough juice as I just went flat on the swim and got out early.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Big swim workout today.

4,200 yards. My arms and legs are sore. 800 + 4x 100 warm up, 10x 200 main set, 8x 100 kick set, 200 easy warm down.

I have some minor ankle pain from last weekend so I only did 4x100 on the kick set and 600 on the warm down.

Until next time ;)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:08 pm

1hr indoor trainer ride (FTP test)

3.5 mile run around the block at 9:36 pace.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Outdoor desert ride. Bitter cold winds blowing off the Tehachapi mountains made things abit uncomfortable including tingling numb toes.

28 miles, 1:40 mins, 17mph avg.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:50 pm

3.5 mile run, 33:50 Getting faster average pace 9:17

Right ankle seems to have healed up as I had no pain on this run. Time to start getting back into the distance training.

2 months till Ironman 70.3 St. George Utah, getting excited. Time to start really getting serious about training.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:39 pm

2,750 yrd swim workout.

warm up, 4 x 100. Drill set, 8 x 25 2 of each type of drill, your choice. Main set, 8 x 150. Kick set, 100 w/ board, 3x50 descending faster each 50, 4 x 25 all out with board or streamline on your back. Bonus set, 5 x 100 pull with buoy. warm down, 100 easy.

Fun stuff, make your arms burn :-)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Well this last saturday I tried a fully 70.3 race simulation, was not able to complete due to a prior ankle injury that flared up. This has me concerned as I though it had fully healed. It wasn't until about mile 40 on the bike leg that I felt it coming on, by the time I got to the run, it was aching pretty good so I had to call it a day.

The swim was great, posted my best time yet. 1.3 miles in 34:19. Another person let me use their multi-sport watch to log the swim. It was so good being back in the ocean water again. Flip turns in the pool get so boring and its much more exciting to know their might be sharks and dolphins swimming right under you! Plus that salt water tastes great :D

Alright out of the water and onto the bike for a epic 58 mile bike ride from Newport Beach down to Seal Beach and back and then up newport coast drive and into all the rich neighborhoods and bike paths. Nothing like seeing Ferrari, Lamborghini's, Maserati, and Porsche GT3's all in one blistering bike ride.

Speaking of blistering, I got sunburned pretty bad, chapped and split lips with a blister on my upper lip to boot. Boo. The ride was too long, something like 3:45 minutes. I could not wait to get off the damn bike. But once I did and started running, the ankle said no more, so only a meager 1.5 mile run. I felt like I could take on the entire 13.1 mile run, ankle was the only thing holding me back.

Either way, great day of training. It was hard and left me with some souvenirs to remember it by for the next few days. Not ready for St. George yet, but I still got 2 months of training left.

Until next weekend. :-D
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby sirdle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 pm

plant_eater wrote:... was not able to complete due to a prior ankle injury that flared up.

Careful of that ankle! Ankle injuries take forever to heal!

plant_eater wrote:... its much more exciting to know their might be sharks and dolphins swimming right under you! Plus that salt water tastes great :D

:-D :nod:

plant_eater wrote:Alright out of the water and onto the bike for a epic 58 mile bike ride from Newport Beach down to Seal Beach and back and then up newport coast drive and into all the rich neighborhoods and bike paths...

...The ride was too long, something like 3:45 minutes. I could not wait to get off the damn bike.

Seems kinda slow -- Just over 15 mph? -- but I know the stop lights in Orange County can be murder.

plant_eater wrote:...ankle was the only thing holding me back.

Either way, great day of training. It was hard and left me with some souvenirs to remember it by for the next few days. Not ready for St. George yet, but I still got 2 months of training left.

Until next weekend. :-D

Coming along nicely! Just keep an eye on that ankle and back off a bit if you need to. You've still got plenty of time!

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby plant_eater » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Today was a easy pace 4 mile run. Ankle felt ok, but overall felt tight. Need to really focus on the running more and getting in some longer distances.

Thanks Sirdle for the comments. You seem to be familiar with the Tri training and Orange County, thanks for following my training.

Until tomorrow, C/Ya :-)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Today was a beautiful day. 9.5 mile trail run/hike. Took it easy, wanted to get the ankles loosened up on the uneven dirt trail paths.

Was out for a nice 2.5 hours just enjoying the sunshine, rabbits, lizards, and even got to watch a eagle soaring around while I had a snack break.

Total of about 1,300ft of elevation gain to challenge the legs and lungs. All in all it felt great to get back on the trails.

Tomorrow should be a nice bike session. Will keep it short to help prevent overstressing the ankle.

C/Ya :-D
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Well woke up to a nice little ankle pain. My previous sunburn was reinvigorated by my hours in the sun yesterday. Just felt like I had a no motivation or fuel in the tank.

I did get on my new bike roller trainer to get acclimated to them. Got it picked up in about 20 minutes trying to ride on ice, then spent another 20 minutes learning the balance, moving hands around on the bars, shifting, putting down power and moving around in the saddle. I got the hang of it, next time I will try an actual workout on them.

I felt like I needed to get in a quick run, slathered on the sunscreen, got out the door and made it about 100 yards down the street and was like 'nope', got nothing in the tank today.

Obviously my body wants a day off, so I shall give it the day off. Going to jump in a cold shower and lounge around and do absolutely nothing for the rest of the day. :cool:
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

PreviousNext

Return to Exercise and Fitness