My first Tri

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My first Tri

Postby Skip » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:04 pm

I just signed up for my first Triathlon. I'm going to take it easy with a Sprint distance. Event is in June 3rd.
I've done a few half marathons but I don't want to commit to training for a full one. This seems like a good next step for me.
Any advice?
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: My first Tri

Postby plant_eater » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Woot! Congratulations on making the first big step.

My biggest piece of advice is to keep it simple. Some folks make Triathlon more complicated and expensive then it needs to be.

A sprint distance is a good first challenge that can be done with confidence. You also have lots of time to train for it.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Skip, wanted to also mention to head over to www.beginnertriathlete.com

You can get training plans, log workouts and of course participate in the forums.

Best wishes as you get started on your journey. Oh ya, what event did you sign up for??
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby hillclimber » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi Skip,
How exciting! I signed up for my first sprint too! Its mid May, so I'm learning as I go along. Having fun learning, keep finding that I'm super hungry after my long rides and runs, so I'm thinking I'm just going to have a light breakfast first, train, then having a real breakfast of oats or potatoes. Just curious if anyone else has tips for training and hunger!
Happy Monday! :lol:
hillclimber

Postby plant_eater » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 pm

In regards to hunger after training, its just a thing that you have to get used to. Today I did a 2,750 yard swim workout and I was starving. I typically will just eat a bunch of bananas for a quick and filling snack. Bananas are about 100 calories each so its easy to do the math.

You will most likely find that eating very light before a workout will only take you so far before you run out of gas. For a sprint race I will usually have 1 grapefruit and 2 bananas. Then 1 GU gel before the swim and then another gel 1/2 to 3/4 through the bike portion.

Really pretty much the same for a olympic, just more gels. The thing is your GI system shuts down during endurance events like that so taking in food after the race begins is not likely. Also if you eat too much pre-race, your going to have a upset tummy and run the risk of impromtu bathroom emergency.

Its all a balance you will have to discover during training. There are several types of gels on the market, I have always used the GU gels, for me they are easy to suck down, easy on my gut and provide the energy I need during the event.

My upcoming half ironman has me a little concerned as the last long triathlon I did I really hit the wall on the run and their was nothing I could do. It took me 5 miles to nibble down a clif bar as my stomach at that point needed more then a gel as I was starting to get cramps. This event was a 1 mile swim, 34 mile bike ride through some very challenging hill terrain followed by a 10 mile run.

But honestly for a sprint, keep it simple. During training you will discover what will power your efforts and what will not. Also be aware that you will burn up iron stores quickly, endurance athletes in training typically need 1.5X more then the daily serving of iron. If your eating a plant based diet, then you are already probably on the lower edge. Same thing with calcium, you need to keep this in mind especially when you start ramping up training.

Oh yes, keep in mind also that the race is not just about the bike and run. The swim is a very important aspect of the race even through its only 750 yards/meters. It can wreck your entire effort if your not prepared for it. I have a 1.2 mile swim for my half ironman attempt, I have been focusing on the swim alot. Even with only getting to the pool once or twice per week I have still managed to get in about 20,000 yards in the last 2 months, and I still don't feel strong and confident yet.

I know thats alot, but again more then anything, just show up and get it done and keep it simple. Also same thing with Skip, feel free to PM me or post here if you have any questions. I am happy to help, I got 4 Triathlons under my belt so far, 3 just last year.

C/Ya
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby Skip » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:56 pm

plant_eater wrote:Best wishes as you get started on your journey. Oh ya, what event did you sign up for??

https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Brighton/ ... MeAttempt=

I usually swim 2,400 yards every other day and run about 6 miles every other day so I don't feel like I really have to train for an 800 yard swim and a 3 mile run. I could enter the race right now without a problem (I think?)....anyways, I'm doing this just for a fun challenge, not really to compete.
Skip

Postby plant_eater » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Skip wrote:I usually swim 2,400 yards every other day and run about 6 miles every other day so I don't feel like I really have to train for an 800 yard swim and a 3 mile run. I could enter the race right now without a problem (I think?)....anyways, I'm doing this just for a fun challenge, not really to compete.

I don't even get that level of training in during the week and I am signed up for a Half Ironman in 2 months. Not sure I would call a Sprint a challenge at your level of fitness. Perhaps you should upgrade to the Olympic distance, I think that will be more satisfying for your level of training.

Either way I am sure you will do well in the sprint, best wishes.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby Skip » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:35 am

plant_eater wrote:I don't even get that level of training in during the week and I am signed up for a Half Ironman in 2 months.

Based on what you've said about your workouts, I don't believe that. For example, here are some workouts that you have described:

1. Monday was a 1hr session on the bike trainer, then out the door for a 2,800 yard swim workout followed by a 5K treadmill run.

2. Got in a 17.5 mile ride at 18mph avg, 58 minutes. Jumped off the bike and threw on the running shoes and back out the door for a 3.5 mile easy pace run.

3. Got in 11.5 miles of running today.

4. 2,700 yard swim workout today followed up by a solid 5K treadmill run.

5. 18 mile medium effort bike ride. 58mins. Alrighty then, 3.6 mile run, 36:20 minutes, 10:02 avg pace

6. 2,600 yard swim workout. Lots of strength work, pulling with pull buoy and lots of kicking exercises.

Followed this up with my typical 3.6 mile 'loop' run around town

7. 1hr on the bike trainer, 3.5 mile run, and a short 800 yard swim.

8. Big swim workout today. 4,200 yards.

Your workout volume seems to be way greater than mine. In addition, it seems like you push yourself (zone 3,4,5) much harder than I do. I usually stay in zone 2 most of the time.

Since I workout about an hour per day, I figured that my race will be longer than that (maybe 1.5 - 2 hours) so it should be a good challenging workout. I appreciate your feedback, thanks.
Skip

Postby plant_eater » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 pm

LOL, well when you put it that way :D

I think my point was that if your doing 6 miles every other day, and 2,400 yards every other day, you are definitely getting more (running and swimming) then I am. While my workouts are longer and more intense, I only get to train on weekends. I rarely get in more then 15 miles of running per week, nor do rarely get more then 3-4,000 yards of swimming per week.

In regards to Z2 training, your actually better off doing the majority of your training there, but you do need to kick it up occasionally. Think 80/20, 80% Z2, 20% Z3-5.

but in the end, regardless of who has more or less training, I am stoked your doing your first Triathlon. I think when you do the sprint your going to rip through it and have such a great time, you will be signing up for Olympic the next day.

Best wishes and again, if you ever feel the need to ask a question I would love to help. PS: Start getting on that bike and getting some miles in, even if its a indoor spin class.

C/Ya
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby Skip » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:38 am

plant_eater,

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

plant_eater wrote:In regards to Z2 training, your actually better off doing the majority of your training there, but you do need to kick it up occasionally. Think 80/20, 80% Z2, 20% Z3-5.

If I was a serious racer, I would follow this 80/20 formula. I read Matt Fitzerald's book called 80/20 Running and he makes that exact point but the 20% can be in zone 3,4 or 5. When I tried it out, I usually went for zone 3 or 4, 20% of the time. Now it's more like 90/10 :mrgreen:

How are you doing in your weight loss goals? This video has really helped me and may help you if you haven't seen it yet:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53177
Skip

Postby hillclimber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:36 am

Planteater,

Thank you so much for all the information. Bananas as so easy to eat after a workout. I was kinda of thinking I'd have to make a smoothie everyday to follow up my workout, but bananas!!! yay!

So I know you guys do fairly lengthy swim workouts, i'm working up, I did get in 1000 yards this morning and I know I can add on to that! My sprint tri I think is only 500 yards. Anyway, I'm curious how you keep track of laps. I know this morning I did 10 x 100, which in my gym's pool is 5 up and backs, or 2 1/2 laps. I can keep track of 10, but when you do 27 x 100, how do you track that?

Thanks,
Wendy
hillclimber

Postby Skip » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:48 pm

hillclimber wrote:Planteater,

Thank you so much for all the information. Bananas as so easy to eat after a workout. I was kinda of thinking I'd have to make a smoothie everyday to follow up my workout, but bananas!!! yay!

So I know you guys do fairly lengthy swim workouts, i'm working up, I did get in 1000 yards this morning and I know I can add on to that! My sprint tri I think is only 500 yards. Anyway, I'm curious how you keep track of laps. I know this morning I did 10 x 100, which in my gym's pool is 5 up and backs, or 2 1/2 laps. I can keep track of 10, but when you do 27 x 100, how do you track that?

Thanks,
Wendy

So your pool is 20 yards long, right? I use my sandal as a counter. So I start out with the sandal pointing at the 12 o'clock position to start. After I swim 2 laps (which will be 80 yards for you), I rotate the sandal to point at the 1 o'clock position and so on. So when the sandal counter is pointing back at the 12 o'clock position, you have swum 24 laps (or 480 yards for a 20 yard pool). Capish?
Skip

Postby hillclimber » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Skip wrote:
So your pool is 20 yards long, right? I use my sandal as a counter. So I start out with the sandal pointing at the 12 o'clock position to start. After I swim 2 laps (which will be 80 yards for you), I rotate the sandal to point at the 1 o'clock position and so on. So when the sandal counter is pointing back at the 12 o'clock position, you have swum 24 laps (or 480 yards for a 20 yard pool). Capish?

Thank you, that is super awesome!!
hillclimber

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Skip, where is the race report?
vgpedlr

Postby Skip » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:46 pm

vgpedlr wrote:Skip, where is the race report?

Never made one so here it is.

I haven't been swimming in open water for years. We swam in a lake that was muddy and I couldn't see a thing in the water. It was like swimming with your eyes closed until you lifted you head out of the water to sight on some object (a buoy). It was very uncomfortable swimming like that and I didn't enjoy it at all.

The bike was fun but with me on a hybrid bike vs the fancy tri-bikes and road bikes that most had, I really got passed a lot.

My legs were like rubber after I got off the bike and started to run, so I wasn't setting any speed records there either.

I don't think I will enter any more races. I enjoy working out but don't see the need to race. I can challenge myself without having to race others.....
Skip

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness