Running post knee cartilage removal

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Running post knee cartilage removal

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:09 am

This from friend of a friend who has run 11 marathons since having her medial meniscus surgically removed~
She is now 58 so it was 40 years ago when she had her surgery.

"My surgery was actually in 1976 when I was only 19. I took a very long time off running after the surgery, but I was skiing the next year. I surmise it was the strength of my youth that filled in the area with strong connective tissue. I did absolutely nothing special or magical in terms of rehab except that I kept trying different things and backed off the second I felt pain. I guess in that manner I just slowly kept building strength in the whole area that surrounded the injured spot (it was the medial meniscus that was removed). If running hurt, I walked or hiked mountains. If even walking hurt, I biked. I even swam if everything hurt (even though I despise swimming). I worked out in gyms. Seriously, I just kept mixing it all up to build up everything I could around the deficit. I didn't run my first marathon until 21 years after the surgery."
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Running post knee cartilage removal

Postby geo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:28 pm

Sage advise. Never give up on exercise/movement. If one routine doesn't work there are a thousand others to try. Build up the bones, the muscles, the tendons and ligaments that hold those joints together and you will see vast improvements and follow the McDougall program! Nothing will reduce inflammation and joint pain more effectively and efficiently than the MWL. I know, I've suffered from chondromalacia bi-patella since I was in my early 20's (combination of heavy lifting and bad form) and have had surgery on my knee as well. The surgery did nothing for the pain and ended up limiting my movement (range of motion) and gave me a bit of a limp. Exercise (mainly walking and stair climbing) fixed the movement and limp, MWL fixed the inflammation and pain 100%!
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 pm

I was fortunate enough to train my way out of pain and disability post knee surgery before changing my diet but I am sure eating this way has helped maintain. And of course, a lot of attention to proper biomechanics, training in precise, accurate joint use. Still can't imagine running partly of course because I just don't enjoy it at all but also, it still causes me post run pain and inflammation often for days after even short distance. Could well be that more strength in support tissues and muscles is what I need though I do work those quite a bit almost daily
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Asia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks for sharing your friend's story. I had meniscus surgery this past Wednesday. I went in expecting to get the medial repaired because the MRI only showed a slight tear there, but ended up getting part of my medial AND lateral removed. Reading about others overcoming this type of surgery is deeply motivational.
Asia

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:38 am

Asia wrote:Reading about others overcoming this type of surgery is deeply motivational.

:D The big key is let pain be your guide i.e if it hurts DON'T do it. Make certain your alignments are perfect before loading even if only bodyweight...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby plant_eater » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:01 pm

I was experiencing some discomfort and pain in my left knee last winter. X-Rays showed minor narrowing of the knee joint so I was refereed to for MRI's. I then seen a surgeon whom told me my meniscus was ripped wide open and if I ever wanted to keep running and doing athletics I would need to schedule that surgery asap. When he would not take the time to show me the tear on the MRI screening, I got a hanky feeling.

I refused the surgery. I have since then done a marathon, 3 triathlons, a duathlon, bike race, and 4 other running races through 2016. I covered over 1,000 mile on the bike, 580 miles of running, and 25 miles of swimming.

Do I still get that nagging pain during these cold winter months, sure do. Certainly not enough to go under the knife. Tell you what, when the pain makes me cry for mercy and I can't walk, then I will get it fixed, until then, run forest, run..

Matter of fact just turned in 11.5 miles today ;)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:40 pm

From all I have read, if you can get by without surgery you are MUCH better off in the long "run" HAH! But seriously folks... meniscus surgery does increase long term likelihood of arthritis, even severe enough to require knee replacement. And it has been found in recent years that most people with tears can, if careful and use proper PT, can rehab without surgery'; over some months, the torn part just gets resorbed and no long any risk of it hanging up or getting pinched and you have avoided the risks of surgery. And really, same applies post surgery as in my OP the woman had major removal but has continued to be an avid runner with no problems because she used smart, careful rehab
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Asia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:07 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
Asia wrote:Reading about others overcoming this type of surgery is deeply motivational.

:D The big key is let pain be your guide i.e if it hurts DON'T do it. Make certain your alignments are perfect before loading even if only bodyweight...

Definitely taking it slow. For months, this injury has kept me from working, running, playing with my kids, even walking was something I could only do for a few painful minutes at a time. After all this missing out on life, there is no way I'm rushing into activity and risking damaging anything further. It's a relief to finally have had the surgery done and be able start the healing process. :)
Asia

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Asia wrote:Definitely taking it slow. For months, this injury has kept me from working, running, playing with my kids, even walking was something I could only do for a few painful minutes at a time. After all this missing out on life, there is no way I'm rushing into activity and risking damaging anything further. It's a relief to finally have had the surgery done and be able start the healing process. :)

Sounds like you definitely needed the surgery! Healing will come.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby mike2486 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:51 pm

I reluctantly had part of my Meniscus removed after not being able to walk properly for 5 months. My leg size was deteriorating and I was forming a pretty severe limp.

I made the decision for surgery and not lightly either. But for the fact I work a physical job and I am an active Ocean Ski/Mountain Biker I decided enough was enough.

I visited three different Doctors who had no idea what it was and in my opinion did not really care. They each gave me pain killers and sent me on my way. I then went to a very respectable sports physio who diagnosed the problem in less than 5 mins. I was in for a MRI Scan soon after to confirm this. Fortunately I have two friends who I participate in sports with, a Knee Surgeon and an Anesthetist. I don't trust the medical industry too much these days and I hoped I was getting some unbiased advice from them. I soon selected these guys to be in my corner and into surgery we went.

It has taken me 12 months to rebuild my knee strength back and I am unsure if it will ever be like it was prior. I really could not see myself running a marathon. That said, I Paddle Surf Ski and Ride Bikes so who cares, I am able to do these sports daily without too much problem. I occasionally get a reminder to back off when going hard. It's about 80% of what is was.

Im 46 now and competing is not so important for me anymore, however I do like to train daily, although these days I prefer to call it exercise.

I would not recommend surgery to anyone and would only do so as a last resort. Wait a few months first and rest up. I have heard many cases of the pain clearing after a several weeks/months. So don't just dive straight in, its foolish to do so.

I believe in my case I made the correct decision as my leg was starting to depreciate. It was to the point I could not put 50% pressure on it without electric type shocks running up my leg. After 5 months of this my patience wore thin.

I think each case is different so be your own jude. I have seen many pro soccer players get this injury and have been back in action within 4 weeks or less. Again, depends on the severity.

Not a pleasant injury to have, but not the end of the world either for an athlete.

Finally, I did ask the surgeon what I thought was a reasonable question after the surgery. "Can the cartilage grow back with a good plant based diet"? He sniggered and said "no"! I guess I figured this was a sensible question considering the stuff thats going on in the medical industry right now in regards to half truths and deception. Perhaps he is correct, perhaps not. Does anyone on the forum know any different?
mike2486

Postby calvin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:08 pm

mike2486 wrote:I reluctantly had part of my Meniscus removed...
My athroscopic surgery for medially torn meniscus almost 2yr ago gave immediate relief but, since surgery, mild intermittent pain comes and goes, all over the knee area, depending on how active i am, whereas before it was confined to the inner knee where the tear was.

Are/were you aware of PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections or stem cell injection treatments, in lieu of surgery for symptoms of joint inflammation such as torn meniscus? I only recently heard about it.

mike2486 wrote:...Im 46 now and competing is not so important for me anymore, however I do like to train daily, although these days I prefer to call it exercise...
I call it physical therapy. :roll:
calvin

Postby Skip » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 am

Two points: proper technique and overuse.......

1. It is important to work on the proper technique in any sport to avoid injury. If improper technique is the cause of injury, continuing to attempt to "tough through it" by determination may not be very productive. For runners, a major flaw in running technique is over striding/heel striking.

2. Why run marathons and triathlons at all? Running from 30 to 90 minutes is good for your health. Running for 3,4, or 5+ hours will lead to injuries and not necessarily better for your health. In this regard, I would suggest reading through Jeff Novick's thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43482
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:56 am

Skip wrote:Two points: proper technique and overuse.......

1. It is important to work on the proper technique in any sport to avoid injury. If improper technique is the cause of injury, continuing to attempt to "tough through it" by determination may not be very productive. For runners, a major flaw in running technique is over striding/heel striking.

And since we are so deeply accustomed to our own form, it is very difficult to spot our own poor technique let alone know what to do to repair it. A highly skilled, well trained coach would be the solution, and needs to be in person so they can really see what is going on.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Skip » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 am

I found this book to be helpful:
https://www.amazon.com/Running-Revoluti ... of+running

It's hard to heel strike when you are running on ice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pNb01YoSA
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Return to Exercise and Fitness