Follow my Triathlon Training ;)

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Follow my Triathlon Training ;)

Postby plant_eater » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Ok as I am trying to lose the last 15-20 pounds and finally abolish the rest of my belly fat, to motivate me to accomplish this lofty goal I have signed up for a big Triathlon. Keep in mind its not my first, but it is certainly my biggest one yet. I have done 4 so far, 3 this year.

I have signed up for Ironman 70.3 St. George Utah, one of the toughest on the North American 70.3 circuit. This event is May 6th. For those unfamiliar, that is a 1.2 mile swim, followed by a 56 mile bike ride, followed by a 13.1 half marathon run. Yes all back to back as fast as you can without blowing up.

My goal is to get down to 10% body fat, this will put me at my optimal racing weight whatever that might be. Right now I am roughly 180lbs at 23% body fat. But enough with my body, lets get crackin' on that exercise shall we!

Today's evening run is a moderate run around the block, well ok maybe like a big block of many smaller blocks, lol

3.6 miles, 35.01 minutes, 9:40 pace.

Monday was a 1hr session on the bike trainer, then out the door for a 2,800 yard swim workout followed by a 5K treadmill run.

You know whats great about working out? I get to EAT BIG! Lots of bananas, rice, beans, potatoes. All plant based!

Thats it for today, we will see what the rest of the weekend looks like :)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Re: Follow my Triathlon Training ;)

Postby sirdle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Yay! Bananas!

Where does the swim take place?

I remember reading about John Howard's first Ironman attempt. (John Howard - former member of US Olympic cycling team.) He almost drowned during the swimming part because he had trained at an indoor pool, but the swim was in the ocean with swells!

What kind of time are you targeting?

Best of luck to you! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby plant_eater » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:10 pm

I am currently swimming at the local YMCA pool. When the weather starts to warm up in a couple months I will start getting back into the ocean. I have swam in reservoirs, oceans, and lakes. Anything other then the ocean is a cake walk as you don't have to fear the sharks! I have had to fight some serious ocean surf conditions and have been nailed by a large stingray as well, still have the scar. That made for a painful race as my foot was on fire the entire time.

If I can do better then 5:30 I will be ecstatic, but this is a very tough course with lots of elevation on both the bike and the run. But with races you never know, the weather at St George can be hot or cold, rainy and windy. That is why its one of the toughest.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Got out for a nice long Sunday run.

Warmed up with some light stretches, planks, pushups, jumping jacks, etc..
7.5 miles at a 10 minute mile pace, zone 2. Nice and steady endurance. Torched 1,150 calories!

Little high on the heart rate for the effort given, average was 160bpm with a max of 177bpm.

Sun is out now with no winds and its warmed up to about 55*, might go for a quick bike ride while the getting is good. Rain storms all this coming week.

Stay active, get fit and eat plants!

No Meat, No Dairy, No Problem :mrgreen:
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby sirdle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Well done, Mr Eater!

Good long workout for a Sunday afternoon!

If you can handle 75 minutes at an AHR of 160, I think your max heart rate is higher than you expect! I know you've seen 198, but I wouldn't be surprised if your max was 5 bpm higher.

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby plant_eater » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:45 pm

2,500 yard swim workout. Warm up, drills, main set, kick set, bonus set, and cool down.

Got to try out all my new swim gear today. Fins, snorkel, kick board, pull buoy. Good Times :D
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby Skip » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:31 pm

plant_eater wrote:Little high on the heart rate for the effort given, average was 160bpm with a max of 177bpm.

Are you about 20 years old? Using the Maffetone formula for zone 2, 160 bpm is right where you should be if you are 20 ....
Last edited by Skip on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby plant_eater » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Are you about 20 years old? Using the Maffetone formula for zone 2, 160 bpm is right where you should be if you are 20 ....

lol, I am 46 brother ;)

Todays quick workout was a 1 hour ride on the bike trainer, intervals, VO2 max, warm ups, cool downs etc.
Max heart rate got to 182, Average HR 135.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:37 pm

Long sufferfest 4,000 yard swim workout. Mentally and physically exhausting.

Lots of 100 repeats, 200 repeats. Had to do fly sets and I don't know how to do fly so I looked pretty silly splashing around like a spastic whale. Lots of drills to break up the monotony of the long main sets, then a nice easy 500yrd cool down.

My legs are getting huge, don't know if its from the swimming or running but I will take it!
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Today is sunny and 60* with no winds. Out the damn door with the bike!

Got in a 17.5 mile ride at 18mph avg, 58 minutes. Jumped off the bike and threw on the running shoes and back out the door for a 3.5 mile easy pace run.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:53 am

In a similar position to you. I have done plenty of XTERRA, only an occasional race on the road as I much prefer off-road events and running around in the woods all day. I use the Maffetone Method for endurance training until I have to let it go on the MTB due to trail conditions. Now I'm prioritizing MTB in order to get a buckle at the Leadville 100. I have lots of posts here and on my blogs you might find interesting.

Base training starts today.
vgpedlr

Postby plant_eater » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Woot, got a sunny break from the series of storms this weekend. Got in 11.5 miles of running today. It was breezy and in the mid-40's but beautiful and sunny.

Tried to get out to the mountain trails, but road closures, ice and snow kept me reigned in to the desert region.

vegpedeler, best wishes on your Leadville 100 training. That is a tough race, but I know you will get through it with the right mindset. :-)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:21 pm

2,700 yard swim workout today followed up by a solid 5K treadmill run.

I was so hungry, ugh. Vegan junk food and 8 bananas! :shock:
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 pm

18 mile medium effort bike ride. 58mins.

18mph avg, 25mph top speed.

Sunny and Beautiful, but still in the high 40's. Warming my frozen toes before my upcoming run.

Alrighty then, 3.6 mile run, 36:20 minutes, 10:02 avg pace

Total est. calories torched for the bike and the run is Bike: 580 Run: 552 Total 1,132 Calories.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:47 pm

So today's fine Friday workouts where:

2,600 yard swim workout. Lots of strength work, pulling with pull buoy and lots of kicking exercises.

Followed this up with my typical 3.6 mile 'loop' run around town. Average pace 9:51, fastest mile 9:32, total time 35:57

Tomorrow is racetrack testing day with my friends BMW, then Sunday will be trail running on the PCT (pacific crest trail) and Monday will most likely be a brutal 4,000 yard swim workout. We shall see how the weekend shakes out.

C/Ya
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness