Dan John Redux: Training Basic Human Movements

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dan John Redux: Training Basic Human Movements

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 pm

If anyone checks out the Mass Made Simple programs and freaks out, as I did, there's a lot more there that can be scaled down. DJ believes in training movements, not muscles. Tis runs a bit counter to the bodybuilding style routines that many follow and which can get really complicated. As Henry D admonished us, "Simplify!"

Here is how:

Push
Pull
Squat
Hinge
Carry

Those are the basic human movements. Some might add something rotational, but I'll keep it simple.

Five exercises and you have a complete workout. Or, change the focus from session to session, but if you get it all in each week, you'll develop well rounded strength.

Push: push up, bench press, overhead press, any variation
Pull: pull up, lat pul down, row, any variation
Squat: any variation
Hinge: a bit trickier, any variety of deadlift, other hip extension exercises
Carry: pick up something heavy and carry it for distance, any variation

Lots more in his book Intervention.

This is basically how the world's strongest humans train. They just move a lot more weight and tailor it to their individual needs. We mortals can too.
vgpedlr

Re: Dan John Redux: Training Basic Human Movements

Postby OneLeggedPig » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:33 am

Interesting. I've been doing a bit of strength training in the last few months, for the first time in my life.
I just use dumbbells, as someone gave me some and I like to keep it simple. My routine at the moment is to do some crunches, then take the dumbells and do bicep curls, then lie on the floor to do chest presses, and then an exercise for the triceps, and then crunches again.

It takes me about 20-25 minutes, I do it every other day. I'm too easily bored to do it for longer than 25 minutes. But it's worked well so far- I've been able to up the weight quite a bit, steadily, and I can see more muscle definition.
OneLeggedPig

Return to Exercise and Fitness