Leg Cramp/Charlie Horse

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Leg Cramp/Charlie Horse

Postby slmtkeliason » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 am

I have been following the McDougall plan for just over a year now and have lost 70 lbs, have been exercising 5-7 days per week 30-180 minutes per day, walking, jogging or biking. Recently, I have been waking up with a muscle cramp in my right calf muscle. Am I missing something in my diet or is there something in my exercise routine that I can change?

Thanks for the assistance.
slmtkeliason

Re: Leg Cramp/Charlie Horse

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:28 am

Could be overexertion. Usually that's for cramping during exercise, but I've felt it in bed after really hard races.

Could also be magnesium. This diet should be more than adequate in mg, but perhaps you need more. You can try tweaking it for more mg rich foods.

I haven't had the cramps you describe for a couple years now, but what worked best for me was topical magnesium, either as an oil or gel, or bath salts. You can absorb it via the skin, it feels good and helps the muscles relax.
vgpedlr

Postby slmtkeliason » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:41 am

Thank you. Where would I find a topical mg product. Over the counter, is there a brand you would recommend?
slmtkeliason

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 pm

slmtkeliason wrote:Thank you. Where would I find a topical mg product. Over the counter, is there a brand you would recommend?

I've seen it in some health food stores in the body care section. Ask for it. Otherwise, Amazon. As for brands, the Ancient Minerals brand is throughly tested, but pricey. I can't tell the difference. The real difference is between "oil" and gel. The "oil" is not really oil, it is just super-concentrated magnesium chloride solution in water. It is extremely hydrophilic, so it pulls water out of the air, making it feel "oily." Some people prefer the gel. It may feel funny at first, almost a mild stinging sensation. If so, just leave it on 10 min or so to absorb then shower it off. I often rub it on my legs, low back, and neck/shoulders after long rides to help relax.

Oral mg supplementation can have a laxative effect, but topical mg bypasses the gut. Plus, you can put it right where it's needed. Another, cheap way is to take a bath with Epsom Salts. Its not clear how well absorbed magnesium sulfate is, but it is relaxing and worth a try. Epsom salts are available at any pharmacy dirt cheap.
vgpedlr

Postby slmtkeliason » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks again! It is worth a try. I already have epsom salts so I think I will start there. Have a great day!!
slmtkeliason

Postby Gershon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:52 am

Congratulations on your weight loss.

There are times when it's worth it for people to work through pain, such as when they are preparing for a race or coming off a mountain before the thunderstorm hits. Otherwise, I'll paraphrase a philosophy Dr. McDougall uses for food. If it's causing pain, stop doing it. Pain is the body's warning signal to back off. If a person refuses, another problem may arise.

Most likely your cramps are caused either by pedaling in too high a gear on your bicycle or walking uphill too fast. For bicycling, it can lead to lower back problems and knee problems. For walking, it can lead to Achilles tendon problems or knee problems. Many backpackers have plantar fasciitis. All of these conditions can become chronic until the person takes a long rest break. Sometimes, it may take a year or more.

In summary, I suggest reducing either the intensity, the duration, or both to a level where you don't get the cramps. Then work slowly back to that level.
Gershon

Postby sincereheart » Sun May 08, 2016 7:10 am

Here are my experiences:
I have been on McDougal diet for almost a year now.
I live in Kansas City, Missouri

Recently, I was waking up with cramps in my right leg for few days.
Visited a Chiropractor doctor, who recommended that I do 4 tablets
of vitamin D (4000 units).

I have been taking 2 tablets (instead of 4) and the cramps seem to have
gone away.

Although now, I am trying to get out doors more often and trying to get more sunlight.
With more of sunlight solution I will hopefully be stopping the vitamin D tablets.
sincereheart

Return to Exercise and Fitness