The "Religion" of Veganism

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

Re: The "Religion" of Veganism

Postby rkeinc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Becky, Our Thanksgiving was wonderful but very private, just my son, wife and myself. My wife is a great cook and makes my meal totally vegan. My immediate family recognizes my choice and respects it but have not associated my excellent health to being vegan alone. I do a lot of exercise as well and I know the combination has been my strength. Unfortunately I believe they, like most people, don't have the will power or desire to change. This is my frustration not theirs. As a result their health is very poor. BTW, what do you think of DrFood's definition of "vegan" ("...we generally refer to those who abstain from eating animals and animal products for health not ethics as individuals who eat a "plant-based" diet but they are not referred to by us as "vegans". ")? I would guess by his definition, I am a "plant-based dieter"? Dr. McDougall's term of Starchivore is lost on everyone but "us" so I still believe "vegan" best serves me and all those who live by a whole food plant based (WFPB - E. Colin Campbell in his book "Whole") lifestyle. v/Rod (rkeinc) :?:
Rod
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
rkeinc

Postby indy107 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Becky, how true! My mom keeps saying "don't call yourself vegan!" like it's some kind of crazy cult or something. In all fairness, by the "cultural" rather than "dictionary" definition, I guess I'm not "vegan" (I wear leather shoes, would wear silk if I could afford it, and though I don't care for it, I would have no qualms about eating honey). But there's no other word that describes a diet that includes no animal products, at least not yet.

Bingo - that is exactly what I was trying to say in my last blog post. I got pulled over by the Vegan Police because one of my recipes had honey in it. My response was an article where I said exactly what you just did. There's no other word that describes our diet. Oh, and I wear a leather belt too..... she didn't like that either :D
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

http://www.brandnewvegan.com.

Over 40,000 Subscribers and growing!
indy107

Postby rkeinc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Chuck, I love your website and sorry to hear the "vegan police" are after you. The next time I'm challenged for being a vegan by a vegans for eating honey, I'll think of you... ;-) I'm sure you are a big enough person to hold your ground. The main thing is to do what you need to to keep healthy... That is very, very personnel. I just know that the more I adhere to eating a whole foods plants based cuisine, I feel better. And that honey really helps because I know those bees polinated all my veggies in the manufacture of the honey! A double plus! :-o
Rod
rkeinc

Postby rkeinc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:12 am

Indy107, you can call yourself anything you want and "vegan", to most people I know, is no different that saying I'm a "vegetarian". Everyone I work with just know that I don't eat meat, cookies, donuts, junk food. I am very healthy for 65 and most agree healthier than them (ages 40 to 50). The tragedy for me is that I know I have a lot to offer them to help them become healthier, lose weight and feel better but they just don't want to. They have become victims of the theme in "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked" by Michael Moss so I can only feel bad for them. You have to be your own person and "live the talk". Good luck in your health goals! v/Rod :-D
Rod
rkeinc

Postby Becky » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:12 pm

rkeinc wrote:Becky, Our Thanksgiving was wonderful but very private, just my son, wife and myself. My wife is a great cook and makes my meal totally vegan. My immediate family recognizes my choice and respects it but have not associated my excellent health to being vegan alone. I do a lot of exercise as well and I know the combination has been my strength. Unfortunately I believe they, like most people, don't have the will power or desire to change. This is my frustration not theirs. As a result their health is very poor. BTW, what do you think of DrFood's definition of "vegan" ("...we generally refer to those who abstain from eating animals and animal products for health not ethics as individuals who eat a "plant-based" diet but they are not referred to by us as "vegans". ")? I would guess by his definition, I am a "plant-based dieter"? Dr. McDougall's term of Starchivore is lost on everyone but "us" so I still believe "vegan" best serves me and all those who live by a whole food plant based (WFPB - E. Colin Campbell in his book "Whole") lifestyle. v/Rod (rkeinc) :?:

Hi Rod,
That is very nice that your wife cooks vegan meals for you, it's a good thing that she supports you in your healthy choices, even if she hasn't chosen to follow this way of eating yet herself. Maybe your good example will inspire her and your son to follow suit eventually, you never know! :nod:
I'm not familiar with "Dr. Food", but from what you shared, his definition of "vegan" is technically correct. I believe the term "vegan" usually implies more than just health related dietary choices, and can/does encompass ethical choices in both diet and lifestyle. But, like you, I find the term vegan to be very useful when trying to order off a menu, or explain to others how I eat. In today's world, almost everyone (finally) understands this term, and most people even pronounce it correctly, haha!
However, I do think that WFPB and Starchivore are more accurate descriptors of this way of eating, but like you said, trying to convey this message to the uninitiated is often a lost cause. Baby steps, though, will get us there eventually. It wasn't all that long ago when most people didn't even know what a vegan was (somebody from the planet Vega???) :lol:
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
http://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com
Becky

Postby rkeinc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:24 am

Becky, I enjoy your comments on this blog topic! :D Have you ever attended one of Dr. McDougall's conferences or Travel Adventures? It is certainly on my "bucket list" if I ever get to that point. :eek: I'm glad you learned early in your life the importance of being "vegan" whether for health or other reasons. It certainly has been a fundamentally correct lifestyle for me. My frustration, as you are well aware from my comments, is having my lifestyle "rub off" on my wife, son and family members (1 daughter, 2 sons, 5 grandchildren and extended family). Habits are so hard to break and the longer we go on keeping old/bad habits the harder to change. I hoped my example would "rub off" but after almost 15 years I have progressively gotten healthier and they have not changed and progressively gotten sicker. It is so sad! :crybaby:
Rod
rkeinc

Postby Becky » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:30 am

rkeinc wrote:Becky, I enjoy your comments on this blog topic! :D Have you ever attended one of Dr. McDougall's conferences or Travel Adventures? It is certainly on my "bucket list" if I ever get to that point. :eek: I'm glad you learned early in your life the importance of being "vegan" whether for health or other reasons. It certainly has been a fundamentally correct lifestyle for me. My frustration, as you are well aware from my comments, is having my lifestyle "rub off" on my wife, son and family members (1 daughter, 2 sons, 5 grandchildren and extended family). Habits are so hard to break and the longer we go on keeping old/bad habits the harder to change. I hoped my example would "rub off" but after almost 15 years I have progressively gotten healthier and they have not changed and progressively gotten sicker. It is so sad! :crybaby:

Hi Rod,

Thanks, I enjoy your comments on this blog topic as well! :)

Yes, I have been to a few of the McDougall conferences over the years. I have been to three of the 3-day weekends, and to one of the 5-day events. I lived in Sacramento up until 6 years ago, and I'm often back in the area for extended stretches. It is a very short drive between Sacramento and Santa Rosa so when I'm in the area and the stars line up just right, I try to take advantage of the opportunity.

You are so right, habits, especially bad ones, are very hard to break. That's why I continuously reinforce my McD way of life with education such as the conferences, books, support forums, videos, movies, etc. For me, it is just too easy to succumb to the constant pressures all around if I don't continuously bolster my reserves! :?
Becky

Postby dteresa » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:29 pm

I ALWAYS bring my own food to family get togethers. Sometimes even into some restaurants if I am going with family members, usually buffet type restaurants. I attended a wedding a few months ago and gave my dinner to another guest who was thrilled to eat a second meal. I had a huge apple in the car before I went into the reception hall.

didi
dteresa

Postby Becky » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:16 pm

LynnCS wrote:I don't really like that someone thinks of this as some kind of religion, and don't call myself a vegan. Probably because I come to this for the health aspects...in the beginning. I have become more and more disgusted with the way animals are treated and slaughtered. It helps to see those kinds of quotes, Becky, because it gives me some new food for thought. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome, LynnCS, this is an interesting topic, isn't it? It can raise a lot of discussion and passionate feelings on both sides of the issue. :nod:
Becky

Postby Vee » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:50 pm

I recently met a man who is 54, retired on disability (has Meniere's Disease), and is the father of two boys ages 11 and 17. He is a good 30-40 lbs overweight. He is an avid reader and read The China Study and The Starch Solution on my recommendation. Intellectually, he totally buys in to low-fat, plant-based. We met about two months ago, have seen one another a few times, and spoke on the phone last night. He told me he is currently suffering from gout. I explained that animal protein exacerbates gout. He said he totally knows that but is not able to change his diet all that much. It's interesting to me because I would think he would be very highly motivated to improve his health, for his sake and for the sake of his kids. But it seems the addiction or inertia is too hard to overcome. Pretty sad. :-(
Vee

Previous

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller