January, 2017 Newsletter

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

January, 2017 Newsletter

Postby Birdy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:13 pm

I read with interest Dr. McDougall's article The Latest Scams from the Diabetic Industry. I have a question about some statistics in the article. Under the section "Metformin is Simply the Least Harmful", in paragraph two regarding the results of a 2012 review of the benefit/risk ratios for metformin, researchers reported the following: "We cannot exclude a 25% reduction or a 31% increase in all-cause mortality. We cannot exclude a 33% reduction or a 64% increase in cardiovascular mortality." While I understand the terms all-cause mortality and cardiovascular mortality, I do not understand the percentages given for both reduction or increase for each of these outcomes. I also find their use of the word "exclude" sort of odd and am not sure what they meant by it. Hoping someone can shed some light on my two questions.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Re: January, 2017 Newsletter

Postby John McDougall » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Yes, this is technical. But you get the gist of this matter.

Plus I gave you the article to read where you will see in clear words in the introduction and discussion sections that metformin is of questionable (unproven) benefit. Even though it is considered the first-line drug of choice.

So read on.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby Birdy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Thank you! I did find the free article on PubMed here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3323508/

It clarifies the matter. Your article in this month's newsletter is really excellent and I printed it for future reference.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby mhcarrs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 pm

John McDougall wrote:Yes, this is technical. But you get the gist of this matter.

Plus I gave you the article to read where you will see in clear words in the introduction and discussion sections that metformin is of questionable (unproven) benefit. Even though it is considered the first-line drug of choice.

So read on.

John McDougall, MD

The 2017 Newsletter on diabetes is excellent. I have been diabetic since 2010. This starch base way of curing the illness is a lot better than the medications I was on. I gained over 60 pounds while using Lantus and Humalog.

I found a link on another site that says Lantus is being investigated for the possible link to cancer. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/Dru ... 240508.htm

Now I have IPMN and PNETS on my pancreas. I know that cancer can take up to 10 years to grow to a size that can be measured. Just odd they were only shadows on pancreas in 2013 now they are a lot bigger from last MRI done in 2016.

So I am off Lantus. And doing Starch Solution since 1/09/17. I have lost over 10 pounds so far. Another fat, sick vegan finally getting it right.
mhcarrs

Postby momaluta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 pm

I am a 1.5 spectrum diabetic. I do not test out as a Type 1, since I passed the antibody tests.

I am currently on a morning dose of NPH, and I take mealtime Humalog.

I am on a restricted, vegan regimen so I can a) lose weight, and b) to keep my blood glucose levels below 120 mg/dL.
[I am 5'5", female, and weigh 164 lbs. I've lost 15 lbs. on this regimen -- with the insulin -- and my goal is to lose 37 more lbs.]

Here is my situation: My insulin resistance is so strong, I do not tolerate starches well. A typical meal is two glasses of water, a stalk of celery, 6 oz of raw veggies (salad), a quarter cup of beans, and a cup each of steamed greens and steamed zucchini.

I really miss potatoes...and whole grain pasta. Even a slice of whole grain bread would be wonderful. I was an avid McDougaller before my diagnosis in June. I admit, I was overweight...but I was obese before discovering this program n 2011.

Is this all there is? Is this my future? Or, is there real hope that when I reach my goal weight, I can -- occasionally -- eat a McDougall-style meal?

This such a horrible disease....help!
momaluta

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller