July 2015 newsletter anthony colpo

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

July 2015 newsletter anthony colpo

Postby EvanG » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:32 am

In the July 2015 newsletter (https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2015nl ... letics.htm), there are a couple of links cited as debunking the low carb advantage in endurance sports. One of the links is two Anthony Colpo's site. This guy's ideas seem a bit weird, and can be read here: http://anthonycolpo.com/about/ . I thought there must be a better citation for disproving the value of a high fat diet for endurance exercise.
EvanG

Re: July 2015

Postby Langeranger » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:16 pm

This is a blog piece I wrote earlier this year which relates to the current newsletter by dint of the Tarahumara Indians. Though I frequent quote Dr. McDougall, and though this piece doesn't include an actual quote, you'll detect his unmistakable influence on the content.

Tarahumara Addendum 01/24/2015

THE SAD AND DUBIOUS FATE OF THE TARAHUMARA
Rhapsodizing about the merits of starches last week, I mentioned the Tarahumara tribe of Northern Mexico. The information was drawn largely from a study conducted in the late 70’s and published in 1979. My aim was limited: drawing attention to the Indians’ starch heavy diet and the absence of heart disease among them. Consequently, I omitted mentioning other interesting information that didn’t relate directly to my subject. For example, periods of poor harvests have resulted in malnutrition. And though diseases linked to the American diet that routinely end our lives have historically been absent among the Tarahumara, their life expectancy is only 45 – 50 years, particularly among males who are plagued by alcoholism. Infant mortality is also reported to be very high.

Psychologist and long-time friend, Dr. Judith Samson read the Tarahumara piece and responded with further elaboration of the sad plight of the tribe. Her knowledge of them is based on personal observation. Here’s some of what she said.
“The following comment about the Tarahumara Indians is not at all a disagreement with you about starches and their value in our diets. It is about my experience with the Tarahumaras. I spent a week with them and with three of my compadres from the Dallas Sierra Club about 10 years ago in and near the Copper Canyon investigating the devastation that the severe drought there was having on the Tarahumara people and on wildlife in preparation for trying to raise funds to help them. ….Neither the Tarahumara tribesmen nor the endangered wildlife have enough water nor enough food. Orphaned wildlife were found each spring who had to be euthanized because there is no place in Mexico to care for them.
…The diet of the Tarahumaras was dreadful because they had so little food and 75% of the men were unemployed and severely alcoholic. They are no longer runners, although many had been in their youth before the great drought and financial devastation. The only runners now in the traditional Bali Race are children and young adolescent males. Only the women work, sewing and weaving and working at the small tourist hotels on the edge of Copper Canyon. The apocryphal tales about the healthy, active, athletic Tarahumara tribesmen probably were true in the past, but the males now sink into alcoholism and diseases by the early 20’s, according to the doctors we talked to at the only hospital in the whole region. ….Aside from alcohol, their diet is almost exclusively SIMPLE carbs with almost no complex carbs, fruits or vegetables, although they do eat native cacti. Much of their natural water supply is seriously polluted…”

Until a few weeks ago “Tarahumara” was one of those largely unfamiliar words which I skated over when reading, never taking the few seconds needed to learn to pronounce it. Now I’m probably the unacknowledged expert on my block, unless there’s another Judith Samson down the street whose expertise hasn’t yet become known to me. What I’ve learned is that when one simply Googles Tarahumara the entries available can create confusion. Some seem to be outdated in that they don’t reflect the devastation that has befallen these people over the past 20 years or so. The problems beyond drought and alcoholism involve some of the area’s valleys being given over to growing marijuana which apparently has displaced lots of the Indians’ crop production. Related to this, narco-trafficking has become a menace. Also, developers have become interested in the area with at least one larger hotel being built which one observer panned as Disneyesque. Who knows, perhaps this is progress, but the Luddite on my shoulder is whispering “don’t forget Joni Mitchell”. Joni Mitchell I say. What’s she got to do with anything? So he starts singing in my ear and ere long intones, “They paved paradise to put up a parking lot.” Ouch!

Starches may be good for us but the world still has lots of perils that diet can’t help. But fortunately, cleaning up our diet is one thing over which we can exert at least a modicum of control and by doing so markedly reduce many perils to our health. That in mind, here’s a main course dish that’ll fill you up with some healthful starches (aka, comfort food), and lots of fiber.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH – PASTA SALAD (served warm or hot)

Microwave a package of cubed butternut squash from the refrigerator case at the grocery per package directions. In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together a box of soft or firm Silken tofu with one or two teaspoons of sage. Cook a cup of whole wheat macaroni until tender. Drain and combine with tofu mixture and the squash. Add salt as desired at the table. Enjoy it warm or chill if you prefer. Bear in mind, tofu is a calorie-dense food so if weight is an issue be mindful.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

“Foods high in complex carbohydrates, however – grains, vegetables, and fruits – are the best foods you can eat.”
Nathan Pritikin

(By gum, I think he’s talking ‘bout starches), Good Eatin’, Don
Langeranger

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller