Vitamin D Supplements, March, 2015 newsletter

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

Vitamin D Supplements, March, 2015 newsletter

Postby janeellen » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 pm

The March, 2015 newsletter sets forth the following on p.1: "Our findings suggest that Vitamin D supplementation with or without calcium does not reduce skeletal or non-skeletal outcomes in unselected community-dwelling individuals by more than 15%."

Can someone explain to me why a15% effect is not significant? Also, what are skeletal and non-skeletal outcomes? Does a skeletal outcome refer to bone-strengthening? Does a non-skeletal outcome refer to any disease?

I unfortunately could not find the reference to this study in the newsletter. Can someone please direct me to it?

Much thanks.

janeellen
janeellen

Re: Vitamin D Supplements, March, 2015 newsletter

Postby Katydid » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:57 pm

This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby janeellen » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:01 pm

Thank you Katy!
janeellen

Postby ronald11103 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:27 pm

Actually, these findings claim only that "vitamin D supplementation does not alter the relative risk of any of these endpoints by 15% or more." They don't say Vit-D reduces the effects by 15%, or what the actual results are other than to say they "lay within the futility boundary." Now what the heck is that?!
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby pinkrose » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:20 pm

We understand that Dr. McDougall advocates soaking up the sun but I would appreciate guidelines for:

1. vitamin D testing
2. addressing "deficiencies" when sunlight alone is ineffective

I would also like to know if anyone here has experienced any bone loss that you think was related to a deficiency of vitamin D.

I got lots of sunshine yesterday and will omit the vitamin D supplement this week! :nod:
pinkrose

Postby veggiesusie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:15 am

I found this Dr Greger Video very relevant and concerning as to whether a few minutes of sunshine is enough.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-d-supplements-may-be-necessary/
veggiesusie

Postby pinkrose » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:59 pm

veggiesusie wrote:

I found this Dr Greger Video very relevant and concerning as to whether a few minutes of sunshine is enough.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-d-supplements-may-be-necessary/

Thanks for posting this but we are protected from this site (and about a million others) here. :crybaby:

Would you summarize this for us, Susie? :nod:
pinkrose

Postby Crider » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:28 pm

pinkrose wrote:We understand that Dr. McDougall advocates soaking up the sun but I would appreciate guidelines for:

1. vitamin D testing

I would also like to know if anyone here has experienced any bone loss that you think was related to a deficiency of vitamin D.

I got lots of sunshine yesterday and will omit the vitamin D supplement this week! :nod:

Dr. McDougall advocates sun lamps for vitamin D supplementation, as I recall. I don't think he's addressed vitamin D testing except I bet he would say it is unnecessary.
Crider

Postby pinkrose » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:00 am

Crider wrote:
pinkrose wrote:We understand that Dr. McDougall advocates soaking up the sun but I would appreciate guidelines for:

1. vitamin D testing

Dr. McDougall advocates sun lamps for vitamin D supplementation, as I recall. I don't think he's addressed vitamin D testing except I bet he would say it is unnecessary.

Without testing, how would one know he needed the supplemental light therapy? :?:
pinkrose

Postby veggiesusie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:41 am

hi pinkrose,
i just saw your question up a summary of the Dr Greger video I posted. Are you able to watch you tube videos.
If you are here is a link for the video on you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDnz1Nibdo.

I hope you are able to watch it but the summary is, skateboarders in Hawaii getting 30 hours of sun a week were were tested and found deficient in Vit D.

A good question to ask to the members of this board and who closely follow Dr McD recommendations to not take Vit d supplements is: if you have been tested what was your scores and how much sun are you getting ever day.
it would be nice to do a little survey to see how members are doing.
veggiesusie

Postby pinkrose » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:53 am

veggiesusie wrote:hi pinkrose,
i just saw your question up a summary of the Dr Greger video I posted. Are you able to watch you tube videos.
If you are here is a link for the video on you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDnz1Nibdo.

I hope you are able to watch it but the summary is, skateboarders in Hawaii getting 30 hours of sun a week were were tested and found deficient in Vit D.

A good question to ask to the members of this board and who closely follow Dr McD recommendations to not take Vit d supplements is: if you have been tested what was your scores and how much sun are you getting ever day.
it would be nice to do a little survey to see how members are doing.

No, I am unable to see the videos.

I agree that your question is a good one. You can post a poll.

I have not been tested. I have been taking a small oral supplement weekly when I feel I am not getting enough sunlight--all very subjective. Without testing, you cannot be sure that you need supplemental light. :idea:

What does Dr. Greger recommend?
:?:
pinkrose

Postby veggiesusie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:03 am

Sorry you are unable to watch You Tube Videos and many other streaming sites,That must be very frustrating. I found a web site that tests banned sites in china, I was not aware of this.

In the past Dr Greger has recommended Vitamin D, if when tested a person is below the recommended levels. In light of D McDougall's latest news letter, saying just go out and get some sun and never get tested. I could only guess what Dr Greger response would be to that recommendation. Send him an email, tell him your situation living in china and ask him. He very well might answer you.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I think all vegans doctors would warn about taking excessive Vitamin D supplementation, but I feel Dr McDougall stands alone with his recommendations to never recommend any Vitamin D supplementation, even if a person is deficient in Vitamin D, and also his recommendation to never get tested.
To me that recommendation sounds risky, My analogy would be something like, adding oil to a automobile without a dip stick. You want to have the correct amount, but you will never know how much oil is actually in the engine. If you put to much in you ruin the engine, to little you ruin the engine. You are just guessing. Not perfect analogy, but you get the idea I am trying to get across.

Since adequate Vitamin D is so important, the bottom line is, do we really want to be guessing?
veggiesusie

Postby Crider » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:05 am

Dr. Pam Popper is very anti-D supplementation. She's a plant-based naturopath who wrote Food Over Medicine. She does a Youtube report twice a week and regularly rails against vitamin D supplementation, as in this recent video.

Personally, I supplement D with 2,000 IUs per day during the three winter months I can't go outside and sit in the sun. It cheap insurance, in case they do find benefits to keeping one's levels at 30 and above.

I'd rather have a nice UV lamp, and might get one by the time winter comes around again. Dr. Holick, the vitamin D expert, notes that there are additional D-like compounds — with a unknown functions — produced in our skin the same time as vitamin D gets produced. Supplementation doesn't provide those additional compounds and that's why I want to get a UV lamp. Otherwise, I say that vitamin D supplements are harmless.

I think it would be great if Dr. McDougall could invite Dr. Holick to speak at an advanced study weekend. Maybe they could have a little debate.
Crider

Postby f1jim » Fri May 29, 2015 6:57 am

I don't think Dr. McDougall is against testing. Simply that the results are debatable. He is also not against supplementing if done with the guidance of a trained professional. He views supplements as he views prescription drugs. Sometimes necessary and helpful in treating some conditions. He just believes those conditions are less common then we learn from mainstream information sources.
I think he does feel a sunlamp is a healthier option than oral supplementation.

Pinkrose do you know how to use a proxy server?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html Scroll to James Brown
f1jim

Postby pinkrose » Fri May 29, 2015 7:05 am

f1jim wrote:Pinkrose do you know how to use a proxy server?
f1jim

I have used them but the results have not been good, Jim.
pinkrose

Next

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller