Question: Dr. Katz's article on the NY Times (9-2-14) low c

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

Question: Dr. Katz's article on the NY Times (9-2-14) low c

Postby REWohsnus » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:58 am

I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question. Just yesterday Dr. McDougall sent out an email asking us to take a look at "Dr. Katz's article on the NY Times (9-2-14) low carbohydrate diet promotion." One of the links connected me to a post Dr. Katz wrote on LinkedIn in which he stated:

" No good diet should willfully exclude the monounsaturated fats and omega-3s in nuts and seeds and avocados; I’m pretty sure everybody not stuck under a boulder knows that."

My question, I've followed Dr. McDougall's program faithfully for the past 7 years or more AND I do not eat nuts, seeds and avocados. Prior to this I was on the Dr. Ornish's plan for reversing heart disease and took it upon myself to do that diet as a preventative measure due to family history - he allowed some non-fat dairy but no seeds, nuts and avocados.

Is there now evidence that I need nuts, seeds and avocados in my diet?

The link to the article is: https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/art ... -stone-age You'll find the sentence above a couple of paragraphs in near the top.

My doctor just asked me this question as well and seemed concerned. I wasn't at the time, but after reading Dr. Katz' statement am curious.
REWohsnus

Re: Question: Dr. Katz's article on the NY Times (9-2-14) l

Postby Katydid » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:53 pm

Do yourself a favor a pick up a copy of Jeff's "Nuts and Health: What the Science Really Says" DVD. It will answer all your concerns about whether or not to add nuts to your diet. Long story short: you can add a little flax, chia, hemp or walnuts for omega-3 if you want, but it really isn't necessary.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby REWohsnus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:21 am

Kate,

Thank you. That's what I thought. However, when I read Dr. Katz's remark, I felt it best to see, if in the intervening years - since I last looked into it - if anything had changed.

Apparently Dr. Katz's opinion is not a statement of fact and Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick disagree with the the statement I shared of Dr. Katz.

I appreciate your sharing, including the resource.
REWohsnus

Postby dteresa » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:44 am

why would dr. McD refer people to an article which proclaims you should have nuts seeds and avocados in your diet and to say otherwise is obsolete and not backed by the latest studies, without also issuing a caveat?

didi
dteresa

Postby openmind » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:43 pm

dteresa wrote:why would dr. McD refer people to an article which proclaims you should have nuts seeds and avocados in your diet and to say otherwise is obsolete and not backed by the latest studies, without also issuing a caveat?

didi

On his Facebook post linking to the article, Dr. McDougall did put a caveat (forgot exactly how he worded it, but from his comment I understood the article was to be read for its critique but that Dr. McDougall did not endorse all the author's dietary guidelines).
openmind

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller