Blood Pressur

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

Blood Pressur

Postby ds1939 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 am

I have been basically following the dietary advice of Dr. Fuhrman for the last 10 years. Despite some differences, the dietary advice of the two doctors is not that far apart. Basically, eat a whole food plant based diet. For these past 10 years my bp has been perfect, averaging 115/75. Recently, and for no apparent reason my bp has now shot up dramatically, 160/90, typically. There has been no change in my diet or exercise regime. My family doctor has prescribed Cozar, which I am reluctantly taking. It is not helping.
This is extremely baffling and distressful.
ds1939

Re: Blood Pressur

Postby Willijan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:20 pm

I would suggest moving your post to another area of the Discussion Board, perhaps The Lounge, Health issues, or Ask a Star McDougaller. You are more likely to get a response there. This area is for those who have a comment one the latest newsletter. I myself cannot answer your question.
Willijan

Re: Blood Pressure

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 am

You can go right to the horse's mouth, so to speak, for an answer.

This coming Monday's webinar with Dr. McDougall is about high blood pressure. You can register for free:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/webinars/

and if you can't visit live, get a link to the replay.

But if you watch live, you can ask questions in the chat box and the moderator will try squeeze them in and get Dr. McD to answer them. You have a better chance of getting him to see your question if you write it in to the moderator (Gustavo Tolosa) prior to the webinar to: webinar@drmcdougall.com

As for why your BP suddenly shot up - Who says it has? Who is taking your BP? When and where is it being taken? Is the correct procedure being followed when it's being done? Google "proper blood pressure technique" to see why it's rarely done properly at the doctor's office.

My best suggestions for you are:
1) Cut back on the nuts that Dr. Fuhrman allows. If you suspect a BP problem you should be avoiding them all together. There are enough essential fats in all the other foods we eat, from lettuce to grains. If you're afraid to cut nuts/seeds out completely, take no more than 1 tablespoon a day of ground flax or chia seeds (whole or ground).

2) Fuhrman is already very low sodium, so you already have that part covered. Look over the labels of any packaged products you use (veggie broth, tomato products, even frozen vegetables). to make sure formulas haven't changed and the manufacturer/cannery and they now add salt to a formerly salt-free product.

3) Get some mild exercise in. If you're already exercising strenuously, cut back to something less stressful. Try walking, biking, yoga for a while instead of marathon training or lifting heavy weights. Too much exercise can harm the body, and even Dr. Fuhrman has told people to slow down.

4) Most important, especially if everything else I mentioned is covered, is get yourself a BP machine and take your own readings at home. Again, Google the correct procedure and follow it - little things like sitting quietly for 5-10 minutes, not talking, keeping your feet on the ground, even the temperature of the room, really can affect your readings. Keep a chart and see if it really is high under ideal circumstances or it's only up when it's rushed through with improper technique by someone in the medical profession.

5) Do a Search in the green bar at the top of this page and you'll get many responses from McDougall newsletter articles and other writings by Dr. McDougall on the subject of hypertension, all for free.

If you are a member of the Fuhrman (pay) message boards, do a search there in the Ask the Doctor forum. You have to be a Platinum member to ask a question but even a plain old gold member can read that forum. I'm sure Dr. Fuhrman has addressed this concern from others over the years. And if you're not a member, he, too, has some articles available for free on his website under the "Learn" drop-down menu on this page: https://www.drfuhrman.com/
VeggieSue

Postby Mayflowers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:39 pm

When your blood pressure was taken, did you drink coffee soon before that? My doctor said that coffee raises blood pressure temporarily after drinking it. It happened with me too. Also licorice raises blood pressure. If you've been eating licorice or taking licorice supplements for digestion, that would raise blood pressure.
Mayflowers

Postby Willijan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm

One of the big differences between Dr. Fuhrman's advice and Dr. McDougall's is that Dr. F recommends eating nuts regularly, in much larger amounts than Dr. McD. That could be what is causing your high blood pressure--too much fat in the diet. I suggest reading Dr. McDougall's newsletters or other articles on blood pressure for more information on dietary fat and blood pressure.

Here are a few:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/wp/wp-conte ... ension.pdf

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -pressure/

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/aug/salt.htm
Willijan

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller