You can't teach an old dog....

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

You can't teach an old dog....

Postby landog » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:48 pm

I am convinced that I need a plant based, low fat diet. I am committed. I just started a few days ago. I am learning as I go.

But, I am a picky eater. I like what I like, and I don't like new things.

I do like:
- corn, spinach, green beans, broccoli
- salads with lettuce, radishes, carrots, celery and green onions
(I don't like salad dressing)
- rice and beans
- potatoes - baked (no butter is fine, I don't like sour cream)
- potatoes - boiled
- bananas, apples, grapes, raisins
- raisin bran.

I went out on a limb and tried low fat soy milk on my raisin bran and I can live with that for breakfast.

I DON'T LIKE GARBANZO BEANS! I don't like hummis. I don't even know what kale is.

I tried gabanzo beans in my salad and ended up throwing them out.

I don't think I could eat most of what is on McDougal's 12 day startup plan.

I'd be happy sitcking to:

- raisin bran and soy milk for breakfast.
- salad and whole grain bread for lunch, mabe some veggies and rice
- rice and beans and broccoli or corn for dinner.

With baked potatoes mixed in. Maybe some veggie chili.
Fruit 3 times a day for snacks.

I admire all you people that can try new and different stuff, but I'm an old boring meat and potatoes guy who is just glad I can keep the potatoes. All these new vegan recipes are just not my style.

I like what I like... Will that work?

Thanks!
landog

Postby Melinda » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Sounds very healthy! Good for you! and it makes cooking much easier.
Melinda

Postby hope101 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:13 am

If you switched oatmeal in for the raisin bran for breakfast, you'd almost be looking at my meal plan. :D

I just did the 10 day program and Dr. McDougall stressed how simple their meals are at home. He said breakfast is usually oatmeal or hashbrowns, lunch is leftovers from the night before, and they rotate between about five meals in the evening. This really doesn't have to be complicated.
hope101

Postby CraftyeLadye » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:18 am

I just have to say I hate garbanzo beans too and will never touch hummus :(
Lisa
CraftyeLadye

Check out Dr. Lisle's stuff

Postby SactoBob » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:20 am

You can buy his book, or his DVD's which Dr. McDougall has on special now. And you can watch one free lecture on the website of the Veg. Society of Hawaii.

Dr. Lisle explains why and how your tastes can change fairly quickly, and how to do it. I used to think that I could never eat many of the foods that I now find tasty. It just takes a bit of time and effort. We can change our tastes so that we like food that we know is good for us. Admittedly, the transition takes some effort and a period of "withdrawal." Dr. Lisle explains how to get through that.

But if we want to be slaves to our "pre-health" tastes, it is going to be very hard to make the needed changes IMO. Following our tastes is what gets us into what Dr. Lisle calls the pleasure trap.
SactoBob

Postby dlb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:56 am

Landog -

Welcome. I think with your preferences you will be off to a good start. Stick with them to begin and see how it goes from there. As SactoBob said your tastes do change over time.

I've recently started eating sweet potatoes. Words aren't strong enough to describe how I used to feel about them. I didn't even like the smell when I cooked them for others. But here I am happily munching away on them! Old dog ... new trick :D

Best wishes,
Donna
dlb

Sweet potatoes, eh?

Postby landog » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:51 pm

dlb wrote:I've recently started eating sweet potatoes. Words aren't strong enough to describe how I used to feel about them. I didn't even like the smell when I cooked them for others. But here I am happily munching away on them! Old dog ... new trick :D

I'll keep an open mind and try new things. I can't imagine eating sweet potatoes, though - but I will give it a go.

I have to confess that I'm trying to follow Esselstyn's plan. I have yet to find an Esselstyn diet-specific web forum, but this seems pretty close.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

BTW - Esselstyn is interviewed tomorrow (6/25/2008) at 9 a.m. EDT on http://www.wcpn.org/ - click to listen live or see the "Sound of Ideas" podcast after 6/26 if you don't catch it live.
landog

Me too!

Postby SactoBob » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:01 pm

There are a number of us here following the Esselstyn program. Your tastes can and will change if you stick with it.
SactoBob

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:21 am

One of the reason many of us don't like sweet potatoes is what we grew up with. Those slimy canned ones that were so sweet, and then Mom's across america threw marshellows on top. yuck.

My favorite is au natural, or maybe a sprinkle of sugar if it's breakfast.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Autumn » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:20 pm

You sound like my husband :) He is very picky on veggies and fruit. He sticks to his favorites which are mostly taco salad, mashed potatoes, *fried* potatoes (sometimes potato burritos), chili, spaghetti and mexican food.

Our favorite book so far has been Mcdougall quick and easy cookbook, we borrowed it from the library but ended up buying it since we found alot of foods we liked in it. Mexican lasagne is one of our favorites out of it.

Popcorn is a staple in our house too. Pure maple syrup drizzled on tastes kinda like caramel corn.
Autumn

new trick...

Postby landog » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:34 pm

dlb wrote:I've recently started eating sweet potatoes. Words aren't strong enough to describe how I used to feel about them. I didn't even like the smell when I cooked them for others. But here I am happily munching away on them! Old dog ... new trick :D

Thanks, Donna. I just ate a sweet potato for the first time in my life. Kinda mushy - but I ate it. Maybe 3/4 of the way through it seemed okay. I guess I'll have a 2nd one of these days.

Does anyone have any sweet potato advice, or are they supposed to be mushy?

...and thanks, Autumn - got my new popcorn hot-air popper today. One more way to use Pure Ohio Maple Syrup! It was good!

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Re: new trick...

Postby Clary » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:24 pm

landog wrote:
Does anyone have any sweet potato advice, or are they supposed to be mushy?

Thanks,
-dog

I sometimes cut them in half (or leave them whole if small) , scrubbed but unpeeled, and steam them until they are just tender, but not anywhere near mushy.
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby hope101 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:31 pm

Do you like mashed potatoes? Because if so, you can use that mushiness to an advantage. Just mix in a tiny amount of that maple syrup into your sweet potato and I'll be surprised if you don't fall in love.
hope101

Re: new trick...

Postby serenity » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:38 pm

landog wrote:Does anyone have any sweet potato advice, or are they supposed to be mushy?

...andThanks,
-dog

Usually I buy the sweet pototoes that are dark orange; in the US, we commonly refer to them as yams, although they aren't really.

When I bake yams, they do get very, very soft. Is that how you prepared it? On the other hand, if I boil or steam them, as Clary mentioned, they hold their shape very well.

I rarely use the lighter colored sweet potato, because I like the moistness of the yams. But you might want to try one to see if you prefer them.
serenity

bake them

Postby SactoBob » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:50 pm

for 1 hour 15 minutes at 400 I think and they are soft, but not mushy. Or you can microwave for about 6 min at high and let stand a few minutes. We do baked potato the same. Brown rice is awesome. You can cook a big batch and put it into baggies in the fridge to warm up later. Balsamic vinegars - lots to try and all good. The Esselstyn chili is especially good and fast to prepare and keeps well.
SactoBob

Next

Return to How to Begin