Weight loss rate, regular vs maximum weight loss

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Weight loss rate, regular vs maximum weight loss

Postby potatohead55 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi everyone!

I just started the standard McDougall plan mostly (still working on reducing coffee intake, lol) and am loving the energy and rapid (6 pounds within 3 days (water, I know, lol)) weight loss.

I am definitely seeing myself doing this for life...hoping to get the family on board once they see the changes.

Anyway, I just had a quick question - I couldn't find it referenced anywhere.

What is the average weight loss on the standard McDougall plan vs the MWL plan?

In other words, is there are real substantial difference between the rate of losing between them? I'm not in a rush to lose but was curious if it was really worth the more restrictive option? Or is the MWL for people who have a harder time losing weight, or when you get closer to goal?

Thanks in advance!

Anita
potatohead55

Re: Weight loss rate, regular vs maximum weight loss

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:45 am

As with ANY weight loss program, the rate of loss is different with everyone. If you're a post-menopausal woman who has been overweight most of her life, is inactive, hypothyroid - your rate of loss will be much slower than in a 20 year old man who runs a few miles daily. If you've been on a relatively low calorie diet before switching to this program, or going from low-carb to this high starch food plan, you may even gain weight at first. Salt intake, amount of fiber you eat, "time if the month" - so many factors!

BUT

In this article from 2004 he said people averaged 3.5 pounds weight loss (regular program) in 7 days at his live-in program in Santa Rosa:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl ... pulose.htm

and in this one, announcing the first MWLP only program:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl ... aximum.htm

The goal of this program is to provide a lifestyle that works and is enjoyable for people who have struggled with their excess weight. The average weight loss in a 10-day regular McDougall Program is 6 pounds for overweight men and 5 pounds for overweight women. We expect to better those figures by an average of 2 to 4 pounds.
VeggieSue

Postby potatohead55 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 am

Thanks, VeggieSue for the links.

I am that (almost) post-menopausal, hypothyroid woman, lol.

But that's okay. Since this is the way I now eat, it doesn't matter all that much how fast I lose. Sure, it would be great to lose faster, but I think as long as I'm losing on the regular plan, I'll stick with that.

The main thing I'm focusing on now is learning everything I can about this WOE, including how to manage when I'm away from home, which thankfully, we eat out very rarely; birthdays/anniversary so have some time.

Thanks again,

Anita
potatohead55

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:00 pm

Faster is not always better. One potential risk of losing faster is gall bladder stones. This is well know risk of any rapid weight loss, whether from healthy eating, water fasting, or some restrictive cleanse diet. Not common, but I have read a couple of posts where this did happen here. (From reading many posts here over 10 years.)

Practice good habits that you want to and can enjoy and sustain for your entire lifetime.
michaelswarm

Postby potatohead55 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up - I'd never heard that before michaelswarm. Fortunately (or not, really, lol) I already had my gallbladder out in 1997, lol. ;-)

And yes, you're right, faster isn't always better. I'm more interested in my health (no major health issues right now besides the autoimmune thyroid condition I've had since a teenager) than in losing weight fast.

Looking forward to connecting with the great folks here as well as the day I wake up to realize that I've completely internalized all of the great information I'm learning here so that I don't even have to think about it.

:D
potatohead55

Postby susfad » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Looking forward to these next many healthy days. Learned about The Starch Solution from a magazine in the grocery store checkout line just a month ago. Any weight loss will be a joy.
susfad

Return to How to Begin