Oils query

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oils query

Postby Andrewmclean » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi team,

Dr McDougall recommends cutting out all vegetable oils, but when I open jars of peanut butter and tahini the oils have separated and risen to the top.

These are not added oils, as far as I am aware. What does Dr McDougall recommend about these oils? Do I drain them? Mix them in? Make my own peanut butter and tahini?

Many thanks,

Andrew
Andrewmclean

Re: Oils query

Postby kirkj » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:14 am

Other people here can address this better than me but here are my thoughts.

I gave up peanut butter completely because I can't eat it moderately. If you can, you should not be eating very much of it (a tablespoon a day, maybe, at most?). Others will chime in here, I'm sure, and say it should be even less often.

I use 1 tablespoon of tahini to make hummus. I use the hummus to make coleslaw dressing and eat about one batch a week. If I make hummus for raw veggies, I only eat maybe another batch a week. Given how much tahini I use - and how I use it - as a condiment for lots of vegetables - I don't worry about the oil. I did try pouring off the oil one time and the remainder got moldy.
kirkj

Postby Andrewmclean » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:16 am

kirkj wrote:Other people here can address this better than me but here are my thoughts.

I gave up peanut butter completely because I can't eat it moderately. If you can, you should not be eating very much of it (a tablespoon a day, maybe, at most?). Others will chime in here, I'm sure, and say it should be even less often.

I use 1 tablespoon of tahini to make hummus. I use the hummus to make coleslaw dressing and eat about one batch a week. If I make hummus for raw veggies, I only eat maybe another batch a week. Given how much tahini I use - and how I use it - as a condiment for lots of vegetables - I don't worry about the oil. I did try pouring off the oil one time and the remainder got moldy.

Thanks. I guess I'm not too worried about moderation. But I would like to know if I should drain this oil or mix it in. I want to get the antioxidants and other nutrients from these foods, but I don't understand if the oil that naturally separates from these foods should be part of the complete food package, or if it should be discarded. If it has already separated I don't know if mixing it back in will help. It is an interesting discovery you made about the mould. Thanks for your input.
Andrewmclean

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:09 pm

I’ve seen people do either. I’ve been making my own peanut butter in my food processor, and it does not separate. The tahini I buy does not separate either. The nutrition in the food will not suffer if you pour off a little fat.

Worth repeating, 1 tbsp is sufficient. Most people do best with that stuff at a minimum.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:36 pm

My kids use peanut butter. If separate I mix it back. The kids need extra energy to grow.
Mary McDougall has used a mildly processed product for recipe flavor called PB2 that is low fat peanut butter.
https://www.amazon.com/PB2-Powdered-Pea ... B002GJ9JWS

I am sure you are aware that nuts and seed she and nut butters are high fat and calorie density foods.
michaelswarm

Postby PJK » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Peanut butter and tahini are on the program. They are even used in several recipes in Dr. McD's book, "The Starch Solution."

However, if you're very overweight and trying to lose a lot of weight, then they're not recommended. Too calorie-dense.

As you point out correctly, the oil is an integral part of the seeds. Yes, the oil separates if stored long enough. But it's not added.
PJK

Return to How to Begin