Processed

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Processed

Postby jazzyyonce » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Howdy - brand new - just watched forks over knives & then How not to Diet...

What we got out of those two documentaries was whole plant foods are the ticket to great health.

However, I'm noticing in the meal planner that I was checking out on FOK they used processed food items in some of the recipes?
Anyone care to bring me out of the confused fog?

Thank you!
jazzyyonce

Re: Processed

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:48 pm

You are right about WFPB being an ideal dietary pattern for health. The Dr McDougall recipes you will find here include only mininally process ingredients. That said, there are multiple reasons that FOK or Game Changers web sites, both mass media documentaries, include some processed items.

- Mass media like documentary and web site address broad audiences and can not address special circumstances.
- Transition foods while persons shift dietary pattern. I didn’t eat a burger for 10 years before I finally made one I liked.
- All vs Some vs None approach. Ideas that baby steps are better than nothing.
- Diet Pattern vs Individual Ingredient. A single ingredient may be ok within a broader dietary pattern.
- WFPB is umbrella term for consensus of multiple individuals with minor differences.
- Dr McDougall addresses public same as patients, and sees those with serious disease, as well as vegetarians-vegans with persistent issues. See Color Picture Book. Even Dr McDougall recipes may include some refined ingredients for occasional dishes within an overall dietary pattern. Long term compliance is more important than perfection.

Hope that captures some of the thoughts I have heard expressed about the issue.

If you can, you are better off without those ingredients. There are plenty of recipes here, and on the Internet. If you are looking for anything specific, just ask in the Food, Recipes and Meal Planning forum.
michaelswarm

Return to How to Begin