"Avoid or Minimize"??

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

"Avoid or Minimize"??

Postby MattB » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:49 pm

What does "Avoid or Minimize" actually mean?
I'm encouraged and optimistic about the WFPB diet, and it seems like there are tremendous documented potential benefits.
But I am also realistic, and I know that situations and circumstances will mean I am not going to follow the diet religiously, and am not going to totally eliminate all the "Avoid or Minimize" foods.

Is it disastrous to eat a lean steak once a month? Or have a cookie or small piece of fruit pie once a week?
Is two slices of bacon once a week terrible?
Two roasted chicken wings once a week?
Using whole milk in coffee?
A couple beers once a week?
A glass of wine with dinner?
MattB

Re: "Avoid or Minimize"??

Postby sirdle » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Hello and Welcome,

How healthy you are (or how healthy you become) is largely determined by your diet and lifestyle choices. This is not an all-or-nothing proposition, but a continuum along which many paths exist which will lead you to improved health.

If you are in poor health, a single high-fat meal can trigger a heart attack. (Some of the people on this board have experienced this.) On the other hand if you are in fairly good health, you can get by with some 'exceptions' to Dr McDougall's diet plan. You must decide for yourself how many exceptions are reasonable, based on how healthy you are and how healthy you want to become.

For myself, I follow the Maximum Weight Loss plan most of the time. Although I am at a healthy BMI and my cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides are low, I ate the Standard American Diet (SAD) for many, many years and I suspect that I have some degree of arterial blockage. I am trying to reverse that blockage. With that said, my goal is to follow McDougall's recommendations 98% of the time (1 or 2 off-plan meals per month).

I recommend you read the following Jeff Novick thread. It is long, but highly detailed and may help you with your choices.

Perspective of Dr. Lisle's "Continuum of Evil"?

You may also be interested in the following threads:

Triage Your Health Efforts: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
The Real Dirty Dozen: The 12 Deadliest Lifestyle Factors

Also, be sure to check out Jeff Novick's fora:

Greetings & Hot Topics
Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions

Best of luck,

Cheers, :-P

EDIT - added a link to Jeff Novick's "Perspective of Dr. Lisle's "Continuum of Evil"?
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:03 am

Hi MattB.

Here is a good article on The 5%. Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby sirdle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:17 am

Lyndzie wrote:Hi MattB.

Here is a good article on The 5%. Good luck!

Thanks, Lyndzie! That's another article I was looking for, but couldn't find. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Return to How to Begin