Introduction need help with nerves, chronic fatigue, fibromy

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Introduction need help with nerves, chronic fatigue, fibromy

Postby LoreleiN » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:31 am

Hello, I have been diligently trying to reverse nerve damage as I was born with an overactive nervous system. Into my late 30’s I started to get chronic fatigue. My energy level was 1/2. I could no longer clean my house and exercise in the same day, it was one or the other. I turned 50 this year and my energy level is 1/4. I have not yet finished menopause but missing periods, bouts of light hot flashes and bouts with none. I spend a lot of time with resting breaks. 3 years ago, I started eating fruitarian and began to learn how to use herbs after being diagnosed with severe candida and colitis. I knew I was in trouble. I cleared the brain fog in the first week but still struggle with some dizziness. Initially I lost weight but fruitarian isn’t very satiating and I could not maintain the weightloss as I ate avocado and coconut to try and satiate the appetite. Then I became high fruit and very good cheating fruitarian.

During my biggest cheat season, last Thanksgiving/Christmas, I ate beef/pork for the first time in 3 years and I was drinking coffee with cream, eating my baked goods gaining weight. You can imagine, it was a dumb idea. My nervous system went hay wire. The morning I woke up feeling my palm was on fire from neuropathy, was the morning I went back to eating fruit, Dec 27th, 2018. Immediately, I had improvements. During January I learned about the blue zones and added cooked beans, starches and vegetables back into my diet, as well as nuts/seeds/oil. By March, I learned about intermittent fasting and went ahead and found that I really like that lifestyle and ate raw for a month. I felt really good and was virtually pain free as I added nuts and seed back into my diet. Then, I started listening to Dr. Esselstyn, Dr McDougall and Chef AJ and started to learn how to cook SOS free. I’ve been following closely to the McDougall diet now and have lost a total of 47 pounds this year, the majority since March. More recently, I removed the nuts and seeds and my energy level has gone way down. Once our rainy season began in June, the pain came back.

I feel pretty good except, I’m still having chronic fatigue and with the change in atmosphere will still get resonating aches and pains all over. I’ve fallen a couple of times in the street and down our driveway from getting dizzy. Listening to Dr. McDougall’s videos on curing Fibromyalgia he states to do the McDougall Program, leave out wheat, barley and rye and soy and should resolve itself in 6 months. I’m doing that.

Last week, I did just add a 1-2 TBLS of ground flax/pumpkin seeds to do seed cycling to see if that would help my hormones to balance and resolve the fatigue. I will apply peppermint oil to my knees, hip sockets, wrists, shoulder sockets, back of neck to help with spasms and it does seem to help with pain relief. If I get dizzy, I have gone to the chiropractor for neck adjustments. I have used licorice root tea to help give me an energy boost but last time I took it, I had migraines so I have since discontinued.

Regarding exercise, I’ve been able to work up to 15 min riding my mountain bike stationary, row on our Concept2 rower for 15 min 5 days a week. 6 days a week was too much and I became too tired. My stamina is not much.

The only thing I can fault myself with is not being in bed sleeping by 10 P.M.. I do feel better when getting to bed earlier. It would be a rare occasion to wake up feeling refreshed.

Any tips with how I may be able to resolve this? I do not use any medication. I mix 1/2-1 tsp of ground tumeric into my oats everyday. I’m in a normal BMI but still working to lose the excess fat. I did hear Dr. Campbell say in an interview that fibromyalgia was a tough one. It’s just frustrating that it’s easier to cure cancer than fibromyalgia. Thank you in advance for any help!
LoreleiN

Re: Introduction need help with nerves, chronic fatigue, fib

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am

michaelswarm

Postby viv » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:02 pm

You may wish to get your B12 levels checked. Vitamin B12 can have devastating permanent nerurological effects, don't wait to get tested. Or you may wish to start supplementing with B12, anything your body does not need is excreted. Also, have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked? Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is very common and one of the most undiagosed auto immune conditions with devastating results left untreated. Hope you feel better soon,

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby ricmeu61 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Please do some research first and maybe others can chime in as well,

have you ever tried Ashwagandha?

Some month ago I was big time without energy and I was sure it was not lack of B12, so doing some research I came across
Ashwagandha and tried it out and suddenly I was like an energizer bunny.

When the bottle was empty, I stopped taking it since I felt great and forgot about it, but in the last week or so I have the same tiredness again, so just ordered some Ashwagandha and we shall see if it does the trick again.

best, Richard
ricmeu61

Return to How to Begin