Ramen Noodles Okay

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ramen Noodles Okay

Postby forgood » Tue May 14, 2019 4:09 pm

I like to make ramen noodles with lots of vegetables on it, but are they okay with this diet?
forgood

Re: Ramen Noodles Okay

Postby Lyndzie » Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Reasonable question. The cheap ones found in most places contain oil and a bunch of unpronounceable ingredients. Those are highly discouraged. The authentic high-quality ones I have seen at the international grocery contain eggs, so that’s a no go. BUT, at some Walmarts, Meijers, etc. there is a brand called Simply Asia ramen noodles in a box that does not have oil or animal products or weird ingredients. That being said, they are total salt bombs. So, yes, they fulfill the letter of the law, but not the spirit.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby forgood » Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 pm

thanks for your reply, I guess I will skip them then.
forgood

Postby debknott » Wed May 15, 2019 10:35 am

I sometimes use them, but I toss out the seasoning packet and just use the noodles. They cook up in three minutes, then I toss out the water. You can top them with anything you like. I don't think they are any worse than regular pasta.
debknott

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 am

Just so you know, always check the ingredients. Here is the info for just the noodles:

Ramen Noodle Ingredients: Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil (Contains One or More of the Following: Canola, Cottonseed, Palm), Preserved by TBHQ, Contains Less than 1% of: Salt, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), ...

If you want a noodle soup, just use thin spaghetti in some sort of broth, or soba noodles.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Jobet » Wed May 15, 2019 1:11 pm

My and son and family use the Simply Asia Japanese Style Ramen Noodles too. I've never had them. How does the cooking in water affect the sodium content?
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Good question, Jobet. It probably reduces it somewhat, but then when you take into consideration whatever broth is being used probably has miso and/or soy sauce, it’s still super high. How do they make the ramen?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Jobet » Wed May 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Good question, Jobet. It probably reduces it somewhat, but then when you take into consideration whatever broth is being used probably has miso and/or soy sauce, it’s still super high. How do they make the ramen?

I thought of that earlier after I posted, Lyndzie. I'm not really sure how they make it. Will have to ask about that next time I'm over.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Make your own. Go to an Asian market, buy any type of compliant noodles. Read the package. Some are made only of rice, or wheat or even yams. Don't buy any that contain egg. Hardly any contain oil. Either make your own broth (I save vegetable scraps in a bag in the freezer until the bag is full, and use that to make a broth. Or you can buy vegetable broth--again be sure it does not contain oil or chemicals. There are several brands of low sodium vegetable broth. Read the label every time you buy because the recipes sometimes change even on familiar brands.

Heat your broth. I always like to add mushrooms--fresh if I have them, or dried, or a combination. Cook those in the broth. Add some sliced carrots or other vegetables if you like. Then add whatever greens you want, and some cubed tofu or tempeh if you like that.

Boil the noodles separately until they are done. Some packages have suggested times, others don't, so you just have to check. They only take a few minutes to cook. Drain. Put in a bowl. Add the vegetables and the broth. You can also add some miso if you like that. Stir it into the broth to dissolve. Don't boil it. Top with some chopped green onions.

Easy! Cheap. Better than the packaged stuff.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby littleblackdress » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:23 pm

You can cook up any pasta, preferably whole grain, and add veggies and Asian seasonings. I just use vinegar, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and minced garlic and ginger. Mushrooms add a ton of flavor as well. I know the ramen noodles only take a few minutes but you have to boil the water regardless whether it's 3 minutes or 8-10. LOL.
littleblackdress

Postby BlueDianthus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:01 pm

What about "Cellophane noodles" / Chinese vermicelli ? They re made solely of mung bean starch and that's it.
Or rice noodles made of rice flour?
Can I eat them plenty? :)
BlueDianthus

Postby BlueDianthus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:05 pm

forgood wrote:I like to make ramen noodles with lots of vegetables on it, but are they okay with this diet?

A good alternative to ramen would probably be soba noodles,have you ever tried them?

They re made from buckwheat flour, no oil, no salt; I really love their bit "nutty" taste, sometimes with a hint of sweetness;
BlueDianthus

Return to How to Begin