How much can I really eat??

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How much can I really eat??

Postby moonchick » Thu May 09, 2019 1:05 pm

I know this has probably been asked hundreds or thousands of times on this forum over the years.
I keep worrying that I am doing something wrong.
I read the meals that people are eating.
I read the types of foods and the way they are prepared.
I am not gaining, but not losing weight.
I am not cheating or having a little of this or that occasionally.
I have turned this into a freaking science project at this point, with journaling and measuring and eating 80 to 90% starch with no fats, plus some green and orange veggies on the side or an occasional fruit serving.
No cheating with my fluids. Just water...1/2 gallon to 1 gallon per day, which I have been doing for years.
I have been mimicking other people's "what I eat in a day" posts...the people who are losing weight, btw.
I really don't know why it is not working for me, and I believe in Dr McDougall, the starch solution way of eating, and all of it.
I am definitely not bashing the program!
What am I doing wrong?
Am I eating too much, because I keep reading that if I am on plan, it will not matter (within reason and not bingeing).

A sample of my eating would be oatmeal for breakfast, no fat added. 1 to 2 cups of cooked whole oats, cooked. Some days I might add a banana or a few berries.

Then brown rice with some diced onion or green pepper or broccoli added in, or corn or broccoli on the side, but 80% of the meal is the rice and a little veg on the side. Or I might make a veggie soup with the brown rice added in, and starchy and green veggies in water with seasonings and herbs. No fats

Dinner might be beans cooked in the crockpot with water no oils, and eaten like soup. Or those beans on top of brown rice with salsa. Or those beans with a baked potato, sometimes 2 if they are not too big. No fats

I know I can eat other starchy foods, but I have stopped with any processed bread, pasta or noodles, just to see if oats, rice and potatoes would do the trick as my main foods. The program says we can eat these foods if they are oil free, but I have stopped, just to see if that was the issue.

I am not gaining but not losing after several weeks of trying. It's driving me nuts.
moonchick

Re: How much can I really eat??

Postby openmind » Thu May 09, 2019 2:24 pm

moonchick wrote:I know this has probably been asked hundreds or thousands of times on this forum over the years.
I keep worrying that I am doing something wrong.
I read the meals that people are eating.
I read the types of foods and the way they are prepared.
I am not gaining, but not losing weight.
I am not cheating or having a little of this or that occasionally.
I have turned this into a freaking science project at this point, with journaling and measuring and eating 80 to 90% starch with no fats, plus some green and orange veggies on the side or an occasional fruit serving.
No cheating with my fluids. Just water...1/2 gallon to 1 gallon per day, which I have been doing for years.
I have been mimicking other people's "what I eat in a day" posts...the people who are losing weight, btw.
I really don't know why it is not working for me, and I believe in Dr McDougall, the starch solution way of eating, and all of it.
I am definitely not bashing the program!
What am I doing wrong?
Am I eating too much, because I keep reading that if I am on plan, it will not matter (within reason and not bingeing).

A sample of my eating would be oatmeal for breakfast, no fat added. 1 to 2 cups of cooked whole oats, cooked. Some days I might add a banana or a few berries.

Then brown rice with some diced onion or green pepper or broccoli added in, or corn or broccoli on the side, but 80% of the meal is the rice and a little veg on the side. Or I might make a veggie soup with the brown rice added in, and starchy and green veggies in water with seasonings and herbs. No fats

Dinner might be beans cooked in the crockpot with water no oils, and eaten like soup. Or those beans on top of brown rice with salsa. Or those beans with a baked potato, sometimes 2 if they are not too big. No fats

I know I can eat other starchy foods, but I have stopped with any processed bread, pasta or noodles, just to see if oats, rice and potatoes would do the trick as my main foods. The program says we can eat these foods if they are oil free, but I have stopped, just to see if that was the issue.

I am not gaining but not losing after several weeks of trying. It's driving me nuts.

First things first: what is your beginning BMI?
openmind

Postby moonchick » Thu May 09, 2019 2:57 pm

openmind...Oh yes, I should have included that. My BMI is 37 and I am obese. Seems like I should be able to lose quicker with all of this excess weight! Lol I am also 55 and post-menopausal. No meds or prescriptions for anything. My vitals are surprisingly good, compared to my weight.
moonchick

Postby Lyndzie » Thu May 09, 2019 3:14 pm

You are off to an awesome start. Sometimes all a person needs to do is tweak the ratio of their meals closer to 50/50 (by visual volume) to get things moving. For instance, putting an equal amount of steamed veggies and whole wheat pasta, and top with sauce. Also, meal sequencing can be helpful to some people, so starting with a soup or salad before an entree can help lower the calorie density.

Here are some links you might find helpful:

Can you really eat as much as you want?

Calorie Density Video awesomeness

SNAP meals

Edited to add: Amandamechele’s journal. Lots of photos for ideas!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby kirkj » Thu May 09, 2019 3:55 pm

I agree with Lyndzie. I eat plenty of starches but also eat a whole lot of green and yellow vegetables. That significantly reduces the calorie density of my meals. I was on and off diets for 40+ years and never heard of calorie density until I came to these forums and watched Jeff's video about it. It's such a profound concept and I have never heard anyone talk it except Jeff.
kirkj

Postby moonchick » Fri May 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Lindsey, thank you!! I will read those links, and SO appreciate the help and encouragement. :-)

Kirk, thank you too! I am completely onboard with the concept of this way of eating, way of life. Just not getting the results that I see others having, so I know I need to make some adjustments. :)
moonchick

Postby BlueDianthus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Hi everyone!
I can relate to moonshine! I'm also overwhelmed right now about the sheer amount of information to read and dig through;

kirkj wrote:I agree with Lyndzie. I eat plenty of starches but also eat a whole lot of green and yellow vegetables. That significantly reduces the calorie density of my meals. I was on and off diets for 40+ years and never heard of calorie density until I came to these forums and watched Jeff's video about it. It's such a profound concept and I have never heard anyone talk it except Jeff.

I also have never heard of calorie density before and that they might be even different starches in veggies etc. I've been vegan for a long time now, a "fat vegan" though :roll: :crybaby:

Can someone please give me some links or information about starchy or not starchy vegetables and how and why it makes a difference. I sometimes eat and eat and eat them, but seem to never get satiated. Like steamed broccoli e.g. and then of course binges happen on sugary, carby things. ... It used to be a lot of fats too.(And huuuuge amounts of seitan) Now that I ve come across and watched Dr. McDougall videos and started reading about the starch diet, I stopped eating those fats too and bought rice again. It's been awhile where I ate it last, because I also thought of starches and carbs as fear food...The vital wheat gluten flour I carried into the basement lol

I'm also using the search function here on the board rigorously :o
It's just a lot to read through and I don't know where to start with my specific questions, I hope it's alright that I posted here my first question(s) I didn't want to open another thread, I will do that anyway soon :D

Lindsey,
I also looked through your "meals posts" They all are very helpful and look very yummy. :)
BlueDianthus

Postby sirdle » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:05 pm

BlueDianthus wrote:Can someone please give me some links or information about starchy or not starchy vegetables and how and why it makes a difference.

Think of it this way. Let's suppose you need 1500 calories per day to maintain your weight. You could eat the following food:

0.7 lb of vegan junk food, or
0.9 lb of bread, or
1.5 lb of meat, or
2.5 lb of beans, or
3.0 lb of grains, or
5.0 lb of fruits, or
15.0 lb of veggies

If you just tried to eat nothing but veggies, you would starve. You can't eat 15 lbs of veggies in one day. If you tried, you would be hungry no matter how much you ate.

On the other hand, if you tried to eat just 0.7 lbs of bread, you would also be hungry all the time. The bread does not provide enough bulk.

Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot (which is different for every body), where bulk balances pounds. This is calorie density. Most vegetables are around 100 calories per pound (these are referred to on the program as 'green and yellow vegetables), but some vegetables have a much higher calorie density and so provide satiety when eaten: potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, grains, beans, etc.

I highly recommend that you watch Jeff Novick's wonderful video Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less & Live Longer! for more information. ;-)

Also, check out The Ultimate Guide To Free Calorie Density Resources

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby BlueDianthus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:15 pm

sirdle wrote:
BlueDianthus wrote:Can someone please give me some links or information about starchy or not starchy vegetables and how and why it makes a difference.

Think of it this way. Let's suppose you need 1500 calories per day to maintain your weight. You could eat the following food:

0.7 lb of vegan junk food, or
0.9 lb of bread, or
1.5 lb of meat, or
2.5 lb of beans, or
3.0 lb of grains, or
5.0 lb of fruits, or
15.0 lb of veggies

If you just tried to eat nothing but veggies, you would starve. You can't eat 15 lbs of veggies in one day. If you tried, you would be hungry no matter how much you ate.

On the other hand, if you tried to eat just 0.7 lbs of bread, you would also be hungry all the time. The bread does not provide enough bulk.

Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot (which is different for every body), where bulk balances pounds. This is calorie density. Most vegetables are around 100 calories per pound (these are referred to on the program as 'green and yellow vegetables), but some vegetables have a much higher calorie density and so provide satiety when eaten: potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, grains, beans, etc.

I highly recommend that you watch Jeff Novick's wonderful video Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less & Live Longer! for more information. ;-)

Also, check out The Ultimate Guide To Free Calorie Density Resources

Cheers, :-P

Thank you so much! :-o
This is what I was looking for. :)
BlueDianthus

Return to How to Begin