Hi everyone

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hi everyone

Postby bodyandmindhealth » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi friends — I am a newbie to this board. I’m 41, female and 165 lbs. I had a friend die of colorectal cancer at age 42 in May of this year. I watched Forks over Knives and it changed me forever. I found Dr Gregor, Dr McDougall, Dr Esselstyn etc and started reading. My husband and I went “plant based” in July, and actually I got my 69 year old parents to read How Not To Die and make the switch too.

I recently watched a Chef AJ video about going nut free (in addition to WFPB No SOS) and this inspired me. I want to lose weight and my current effort is with the low-calorie-density concepts. It’s been about two days. So, just getting started. No nuts baby! (I mean, in addition to no animal foods, avocado, dried fruit, oil, sugars, etc.)

I was a low carber for a long time which now seems so dumb. Uninformed. There are plenty of studies/research being posted on low carb message boards too but the scope, the research methods and the funding are not always discussed, so I think it ends up being misleading.

Anyways Hi everyone! I’m not a prolific message board poster but I hope to chime in here and there.
bodyandmindhealth

Re: Hi everyone

Postby JeffN » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:44 pm

bodyandmindhealth wrote: I want to lose weight and my current effort is with the low-calorie-density concepts. It’s been about two days. So, just getting started. No nuts baby! (I mean, in addition to no animal foods, avocado, dried fruit, oil, sugars, etc.)

Welcome

If you are interested in losing weight, you may want to check out the Maximum Weight Loss Program (MWL) and join the Monthly Weigh-In Thread in the Maximum Weight Loss Forum. It is for those following the MWL program and wanting additional support and accountability. The Maximum Weight Loss Program is based on the principles of Calorie Density, which Dr McDougall and myself have been teaching for over 3 decades.

You can find out more about here, in the How To Begin Series on the MWL program

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58229

Nuts are not part of the McDougall MWL program. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Idgie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Welcome! I love these boards; get lots of good ideas here, and the weight-loss thread Jeff mentioned is super-supportive.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby bodyandmindhealth » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:40 am

Hi Jeff - thank you for the helpful links. I just read your article "The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits". Wise words! Thanks for your years of work and research and encouraging people in healthy directions consistently. I'm going to bookmark the MWL area of this forum.

Hi Idgie - thank you for the welcome! Happy to be here.
bodyandmindhealth

Postby bodyandmindhealth » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:22 pm

I think my next move is going to be slowly reading all 4380 posts in the Jeff Novick forum over the next few months, to get myself up to speed.
bodyandmindhealth

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:54 pm

bodyandmindhealth wrote:I think my next move is going to be slowly reading all 4380 posts in the Jeff Novick forum over the next few months, to get myself up to speed.

I tried to read through all the threads in his forum once. Haven’t done it, but check out some of the early threads. He’s been saying the same thing for over a decade here. The truth doesn’t change.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby viv » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:16 pm

One of the easiest ways to familiarize yourself with the McDougall program is buy The Starch Solution, read it and follow it. That's all you have to do. Simply follow the instructions in the book and you will maximize your health and longevity.

Best of luck to you,
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to How to Begin