Trying to Regain Health

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Trying to Regain Health

Postby True2018 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:30 am

Hello! I have been ignoring my own health for years. I was caring for my parents for about 4 years while they both suffered from dementia. It's been a tough four years, and they have both passed away. I have peace of mind knowing that I did the best I could to care for them and that they had the best care possible. Now I have returned to the doctor for myself. I got back the first test results in many years and found out that my total cholesterol is 485 and my triglycerides are over 1400. I didn't test diabetic....but I think I'm close to being. I know what I need to do...I've read multiple books by Dr. McDougall and others. I'm just feeling sad that I have to say goodbye to my comfort foods, that I've depended on to get me through the past few tough years. I came here hoping to get some support....I feel all alone with my horrible test results. I'm scared and I know it's time to make this huge change....it's gonna be an exciting journey, I'm scared, and excited, and sad...jumble of emotions, but tomorrow December 1st is the start for me. I"m not waiting until January because I'm scared of my numbers. Thanks for reading my post!!
True2018

Re: Trying to Regain Health

Postby Idgie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:42 am

Good for you not waiting!

I recommend you start with your comfort foods and remake them, or find something that will hit the same general spot. This is so your brain doesn't start in the space of deprivation, but of joy and comfort, which we all deserve. If you want, we can even help -- what are the foods you'll miss the most? Maybe we can help you figure out some things to replace them with?

Some of the things I eat that help with not feeling deprived:

Mashed potatoes
Bean burritos
Enchiladas
Pasta
Hot cereal (oatmeal or farina)
Big pots of hot soup -- veggie or lentil or bean or potato or whatever

We're here for you. Your body deserves to eat lots of healthy and satisfying and comforting foods!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby f1jim » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:22 am

If you jump on the program completely you will find a whole new set of comfort foods that will provide a lifetime of enjoyable eating. It's been over 12 years of healing and wonderful eating on my journey. There is every reason for you to expect the same.
Welcome aboard and keep us appraised of your progress.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby debknott » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Welcome aboard! You have come to the right place. Congratulations on making the best choice.

We buried my Mum in early April after her death from dementia. I spent more than three hard years seeing that she had the protection (from some of the rest of my family) and care that she needed. I too feel good knowing that I did the very best I could for her. So I can honestly say that I know at least some of what you went through and how you feel. It's a terribly hard process and nearly a full time job. I hope you are able to relax now, and get back into your own life.

Folks on this board are friendly and helpful. You will honestly not have to go through your health issues and changes alone. Do a lot of reading on the board, ask questions, and jump right in.

Deborah
debknott

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 pm

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! Welcome!!

For me, the biggest concern I had before really committing to this diet was the thought that my old favorites would no longer taste good to me. You know, when you eat something after not having it for a long time, just to find out it’s not as good as you remember? Well, that might happen, but you’ll have new favorites that you don’t even know exist yet.

I co-organize a monthly pitch in group in the Indianapolis area, so if you happen to be in driving distance, come join us and taste yummy food. Next date is December 9th. https://www.meetup.com/indyveggie/events/256318578/
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby True2018 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and great ideas!!! One of my favorite comfort foods is the bean burrito from Taco Bell, so today I found whole wheat vegan tortillas....so I made my own burritos with pico de gallo and beans....they were delicious!! Honestly, they were better than Taco Bell!! I made steamed veggies with rice and a peanut sauce for dinner...it was also delicious!! My husband pointed out that a local pizzeria serves vegan pizza...it seems like there are so many options. Thanks Lyndzie, for the invite to the meet up!! Wish I could go, but just too far away as I live in California. Deborah....hugs to you, yes it was such a difficult journey...now we just miss them. Life does not feel the same without my parents, but it does make me realize that I really need to pay attention to my health and bravely face these challenges. Thanks all for being my friends in this!!! I felt Day 1 went very well. :)

I'm looking for quotes about bravely facing life's challenges :)
True2018

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:07 am

California is lovely! If you are in the Bay Area, there is a brunch in Pacifica coming up. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58925

Taco Bell holds a special place in my heart, too. Thankfully you can buy the sauce at the grocery store, and pick up a can of fat free refried beans. In college I used to heat up the beans in a bowl, then top with sauce and fixings (my preference is diced tomatoes, onion, shredded lettuce and a little avocado).

Pizza with just veggies and sauce, no cheese is so yummy. Skip any fake cheese - they all taste awful, and are unhealthy as well. You can totally do this!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby True2018 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Hello!! I wanted to give a little update! I've been doing well with this new way of eating. I found a group in town led by a Kaiser dr. His name is Dr. Lawenda. I went to his class tonight, and he is promoting the exact same diet as Dr. McDougall...he even recommends this website :) It seems that most of the support is online, but I'm hoping there will be some in person events like tonight as well. He did say they are planning to do cooking classes in the not so distant future. So I"m feeling encouraged, and it was good reminder tonight of all I have learned reading Dr. McDougall's books. I haven't weighed myself, but I can feel my clothes getting looser, and I have had a couple of nice comments. I feel encouraged by tonight to press on and do even better. :)
True2018

Postby Idgie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:02 pm

How lovely! I would love it if we had McDougall-friendly meetups here.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Return to How to Begin