Touching base

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Touching base

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:33 am

Hey there! I am a new convert to the wfpb diet and so far I am loving experimenting with new food combos and all the colors. My question today is about blood pressure and realistic expectations. I started eating this way about 3weeks ago and follow it pretty strictly (no oils, low sodium, of course no animal products. I started at 200lbs and at my latest dr check up my BP was 140/90. The dr gave me 3 months to try and lose some weight and see if that would get my BP closer to normal. Well after 3 weeks, my weight is down to 184 but one day my BP will be 123/83 and then today it was 135/87. I have read several commentaries where people have managed to lower their BP to close to normal within his 7-10day program. Is it normal for some people to take longer for their bodies to adjust to a healthier diet? For the past few years I have been eating primarily low carb with a lot of meat products. Thank you for your time! By the way I am 38 if that helps
GeorgiaBuck

Re: Touching base

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Yes, it's normal, and you've already made progress. Keep it up, and if you're not getting fast enough results, look at what you're eating (or post a list so we can help you look) and start eliminating things that might be a problem -- salty foods, highly-processed things, etc.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby americaninca46 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:15 am

Welcome Georgia, You are on the right track for better health. Keep doing what you are doing and you will see great results. Your blood pressure will normalize as the fat clears out of your arteries. Blood pressure fluctuates a lot during the days do to be too concerned if it is higher some times. Be confident that you are doing the best you can to be healthy and try to get a bit of moderate exercise daily. Keep us posted as we cheer you on. Read all of Dr. McDougall's articles on blood pressure. If you haven't read "the starch solution" you may wish to get it. All the best on your new journey to health. Wish I had started when I was your age. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby viv » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:17 am

Rebia gave you a great answer.

"Your blood pressure will normalize as the fat clears out of your arteries."

You may very well have started the McDougall Diet just in time to save your own life, as the first symptom for many with a heart attack is death. This Diet will heal from the inside out and it takes time to get rid of all the plaques and fatty deposits inside the arteries. Keep going, you are doing great!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:56 am

Thank you all for the encouraging responses! Work has been crazy as of late so I haven't had a chance to log back in and respond. I realize that I forgot to include some important info. I am pretty active between work and exercise and am holding pretty strict to a low sodium/wfpb diet in order to achieve the best results. With that said, I was blown away when I checked my bp yesterday and it was 109/65 at 57bpm! I don't remember it ever being so low in my whole life lol. I do have a follow up question though. I noticed I will get a different reading if I check it with my arm supported on an end table versus my arm hanging by my side (121/77 at 57bpm). Is one of those the right way to check it or does it matter? Thank you all again for your encouragement as it really helped. I look forward to continuing to make the right choices food wise and reversing years of the wrong ones.
GeorgiaBuck

Postby debknott » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 pm

I believe your arm is supposed to be supported. I know that at the doctor's office, the nurse always holds my arm out. Congratulations on the improvement in your blood pressure! Eating right really makes a difference.
debknott

Postby JeffN » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:05 pm

GeorgiaBuck wrote: Is one of those the right way to check it or does it matter?

Yes, it matters

Here is my post on the proper way to check blood pressure

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57369#p577045

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to How to Begin