6 Months and very little weight loss

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

6 Months and very little weight loss

Postby MaryS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm

This is my first post. I quite smoking cigs and stopped eating meat/dairy on the same day back on November 7th. I began eating the McDougall way and I do feel much better. The part that I'm struggling with is that I'm not losing much weight. I'm 5'6 and I started at 173 and I am now 165. I read the stories on line and in the book and the quick weight loss is just happening for me.

Here's a brief breakdown:
B= raw rolled oats 1/2 cup, great nuts cereal less than a 1/4 cup with frozen blueberries & one bananna, cinnamon, flaxseed and almond milk. Love this eat it every morning.
L= Jasmine rice & pinto beans with Kale OR raw carrots, celery with Hummus (no Oil)
D=4 small red potatoes with mixed frozen veggies OR Mixed vegetables (cosco) with mushroom sauce and rice noodles

Am I eating too much, or can it be that I'm not eating enough. Am I eating to much starch instead of veggies?

The only exercise I'm getting is that I'm walking 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. I'm hoping to increase when I lose some weight.
I have hypothyroidism and hypertension and I'm taking meds for both.

I am open to any and all feedback
MaryS

Re: 6 Months and very little weight loss

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 pm

One obvious idea is to consider adding a nice big salad twice a day (i mean, BIG), and using that before your main dish, which then can be a good deal smaller, because you are so full from that great salad (but don’t dump goodies in your salad, or on it, which could be easy to do — keep it light).

Look up “sequencing’ in a search, and read as much as you can about that idea.

OR — same idea but different execution — don’t “sequence” your meals, but fill your plate in different portions — instead of eating a plate of main dish for dinner, fill 1/3 of that platewith salad or non-starchy vegetables, and only 2/3 of your plate with the main dish. You’re trying to painlessly eat less of the moderate calorie density food, by eating more of the food that fills you up for very little caloric spend.

I can promise you, I’ve worked the math! The tradeoff that brings the same volume of food into your life, but lowers your caloric load, is what you’re going for. :)
roundcoconut

Postby MaryS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:45 pm

thank you roundcoconut I appreciate the feedback. Will give that a try.
MaryS

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi Mary,

If you would like faster weight loss, there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to Maximum Weight Loss that you can find here:

viewforum.php?f=11. This is also listed on the forums under Board index ‹ General ‹ Maximum Weight Loss Program

I would recommend you read the first thread, titled: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines, which has all the details you need. Then follow those guidelines strictly. If you have any questions be sure to search that sub-forum as they have most likely been asked and answered already and if not, you can post a new topic.

These guidelines are based on a book from Dr. McDougall himself, The McDougall Program For Maximum Weight Loss, which is an excellent read and can be purchased here, https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shop ... ight-loss/, as well as at Bookstores and sites like Amazon.

Also, here are a couple more resources where Dr. McDougall discusses his Maximum Weight Loss Program:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... ushing.htm
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... loss-diet/

Lastly, as a bit of personal advice, be strict and stick to the program. Time and adherence equal success. His normal program works too, but if you want to accelerate, then you should take a look at the Maximum Weight Loss resources above.

Best Wishes,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby PJK » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 am

Also, sometimes see your glass as half full.

You have quit smoking. Congrats! That's one of the most important things you can do to improve your health. Hang in there.

You have also lost 8 pounds in 6 months. Maybe not record-setting, but certainly not shabby.

And you'e given up meat and dairy. More major health improvements likely there.

Pat yourself on the back. You deserve it.
PJK

Postby Jack Monzon » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:02 pm

MaryS wrote:This is my first post. I quite smoking cigs and stopped eating meat/dairy on the same day back on November 7th. I began eating the McDougall way and I do feel much better. The part that I'm struggling with is that I'm not losing much weight. I'm 5'6 and I started at 173 and I am now 165. I read the stories on line and in the book and the quick weight loss is just happening for me.

B= raw rolled oats 1/2 cup, great nuts cereal less than a 1/4 cup with frozen blueberries & one bananna, cinnamon, flaxseed and almond milk. Love this eat it every morning.
L= Jasmine rice & pinto beans with Kale OR raw carrots, celery with Hummus (no Oil)
D=4 small red potatoes with mixed frozen veggies OR Mixed vegetables (cosco) with mushroom sauce and rice noodles

Am I eating too much, or can it be that I'm not eating enough. Am I eating to much starch instead of veggies?

The only exercise I'm getting is that I'm walking 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. I'm hoping to increase when I lose some weight.

Can you please post the brand of hummus you are eating, as well as rice noodles, almond milk, and mushroom sauce?
Jack Monzon

Postby Jack Monzon » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Ltldogg wrote:Hi Mary,

If you would like faster weight loss, there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to Maximum Weight Loss that you can find here:

viewforum.php?f=11. This is also listed on the forums under Board index ‹ General ‹ Maximum Weight Loss Program

Eight pounds in 6 months is unusual, imo, regardless if the person is on the MWL plan.
Jack Monzon

Postby viv » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:31 am

Congratulations on giving up smoking and eating a healthy starch diet, two great achievements.

First of all you only have to lose ten more pounds to be in the "healthy" BMI category. Also, it can be a bit more difficult losing weight with low thyroid, you may want to get your thyroid levels checked because you may need the meds adjusted. I

Considering you also walk an hour every day you may need to eat more starch. You could try substituting potatoes for some of your starch. Potatoes are the world's best weight loss food!

Even if you don't lose another pound, stick with it, you are becoming the healthiest you possible with the very best chance of living a long, healthy life.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Willijan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm

MaryS, Since you didn't mention it, I'll ask: Are you eating any oil? Also, how much of the 1/4 c. of cereal is nuts? Does the cereal have oil in it? And what are the ingredients in the mushroom sauce?
These could be key to your slower weight loss, and they are also key to getting healthier on this diet.
I realize you may already know this, but I thought I'd try to make sure
Willijan

Postby Rosey » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:54 pm

MaryS wrote:This is my first post. I quite smoking cigs and stopped eating meat/dairy on the same day back on November 7th. I began eating the McDougall way and I do feel much better. The part that I'm struggling with is that I'm not losing much weight. I'm 5'6 and I started at 173 and I am now 165. I read the stories on line and in the book and the quick weight loss is just happening for me.

I don't know what Jeff and others will say but I know if I add things like the almond milk and flaxseed to my meals I don't tend to lose as fast as I do without them. Same with noodles of any sort.
Rosey

Postby Jack Monzon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Update?
Jack Monzon

Return to How to Begin