Food allergies

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Food allergies

Postby FloraDora » Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 am

I have sensitivities to many vegetables that seem to be exacerbated while on this WOE. My problem is that many of the McDougall recipes have these vegetables such as onions, bell peppers, cayenne flakes, mushrooms and potatoes. While salads have radishes, cucumbers and tomatoes with vinegar dressings. ALL of which I’ve had problems with, what are alternatives??? Thank you in advance
FloraDora

Re: Food allergies

Postby PJK » Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 am

For your starches, there are plenty of alternatives to potatoes. These include bread, pasta, rice, corn, beans, grains (oats, barley, etc.) and starchy vegetables such as winter squash and sweet potatoes.

Re veggies, substitute. Don't eat what you can't. Instead, modify the recipes with what you can safely eat.

Good luck.
PJK

Postby FloraDora » Thu May 17, 2018 4:53 am

Thank you
FloraDora

Postby Vegankit » Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am

FloraDora wrote:I have sensitivities to many vegetables that seem to be exacerbated while on this WOE. My problem is that many of the McDougall recipes have these vegetables such as onions, bell peppers, cayenne flakes, mushrooms and potatoes. While salads have radishes, cucumbers and tomatoes with vinegar dressings. ALL of which I’ve had problems with, what are alternatives??? Thank you in advance
i too have lots of food allergies and intolerances. Right now I’m doing the elimination diet because I had a flare or inflammation.

I look at the recipes as an idea, not something I slavishly copy but something I can use as an inspiration while I modify it. Obviously some recipes won’t work. Fo example, I cannot eat rice so I always substitute quinoa. Sometimes I can eat cooked onions, not raw so I stick with mild sweet onions and always cook them even if they are to be raw in a recipe.

For salads, I also cannot tolerate radishes, cucumbers and tomatoes so I leave them out. I add carrot and cooked artichokes etc. instead. Instead of vinegar which is too acid for me, I use fruit juice or puréed veggies.

I realize it isn’t always easy, but with experience it becomes easy.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby MINNIE » Sat May 19, 2018 1:36 pm

It may help to keep in mind that this is a primarily starch-based diet and the vegetables and fruits are nice additions . However, you aren't required to consume a lot of servings per day - unless you want to. Also, you don't need a great variety of vegetables to be healthy. You can select even one that you like and find lots of ways to use it. That's too extreme for some, but Dr. McDougall says that you could just live sweet potatoes or broccoli for example, and still maintain good health.

Just keep focused on the starches ;).

Because most starches don't require cooking instructions or complicated recipes, you can free yourself from recipe-dependence if you would find life easier that way. I mean, even if I couldn't read at all, I could still figure out how to microwave a potato or boil some beans LOL.

If you DO like recipes, just creatively substitute, or exclude the stuff you can't eat.

Above ALL, RELAX... as vegankit said, it does get easier, ( and easier, and easier.)...you are almost there :-D .
MINNIE

Return to How to Begin