Decision time

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Decision time

Postby imaproudme » Sun May 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi I have never been a vegan nor vegetarian. I am excited to start. I need to lose 100 pounds and I am not in a rush. I just want to clarify something and get your advice. Do I do maximum weight loss or starch solution? Both are successful.I see so many people who need to lose weight are doing the starch solution which seems a whole lot easier to follow. I failed those diets that I had to weigh and measure and I like that I can eat until satisfied. That being said if I can eat a whole grain pretzel from the allowed list or a handful of allowable cereal during the work day as a snack and some whole wheat pasta at night, I sure will be much happier than just potatoes and brown rice. Will the weight still come off? I do exercise cardio 4 days per week. Curious for your advise. Thanks
imaproudme

Re: Decision time

Postby victw » Sun May 06, 2018 6:25 pm

iamproudofme,

Why don't you try it for 10 days and see how it works for you?
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... meal-plan/

If you aren't getting results - I recommend posting what you eat daily. And folks can help tweak your plan.

Best wishes.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Re: Decision time

Postby Willijan » Sun May 06, 2018 9:08 pm

imaproudme wrote:Hi I have never been a vegan nor vegetarian. I am excited to start. I need to lose 100 pounds and I am not in a rush. I just want to clarify something and get your advice. Do I do maximum weight loss or starch solution? Both are successful.I see so many people who need to lose weight are doing the starch solution which seems a whole lot easier to follow. I failed those diets that I had to weigh and measure and I like that I can eat until satisfied. That being said if I can eat a whole grain pretzel from the allowed list or a handful of allowable cereal during the work day as a snack and some whole wheat pasta at night, I sure will be much happier than just potatoes and brown rice. Will the weight still come off? I do exercise cardio 4 days per week. Curious for your advise. Thanks

Maximum weight loss is designed to help people lose weight faster. What exactly happens with the standard McDougall diet and MWL varies from person to person. So if you're not sure, you can try one or the other, see how fast you lose weight, and then decide what to do next. You'll have to answer your own question, "Will the weight still come off?" and see whether you are satisfied with the speed with which it does.
Eating flour products tends to slow weight loss vs. eating intact whole grains, but again, exactly what happens varies.
If a person has a lot to lose, the weight tends to come off faster at the beginning, then slow down as you get nearer your goal. So you could try the regular version if you want.
Also, your favorite foods may change as you spend time on the diet, and you may actually prefer to eat MWL for taste. Try different foods, see how you like them, then try them again later. If you're like many, you will eventually find you like things that you used to find unpleasant or boring. It happened to me.
Willijan

Return to How to Begin