One month in and no IBS improvement - tips needed please

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

One month in and no IBS improvement - tips needed please

Postby BlueBird24 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:34 am

Hi there,

I'm new here and I would really appreciate some help from experienced McDougallers.

I started the WFPB diet 4 weeks ago to try to improve my IBS but no luck so far. I have had bad gas and alternating constipation/diarrhea. I feel weak, have had pins and needles in my feet and my skin is very dry. On the upside, I have lost 10 lbs, but I don't need to lose any more as I am 5'7 and 130 lbs.

I have been monitoring my food intake on Cronometer for the past week or so and seem to be doing fine nutrient wise, though possibly a bit short on calories. Just wonder if you have any suggestions for where I am going wrong? Here is what I have eaten for the last few days:

Today
1 small bowl Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries
2 Bananas
2 ricecakes
2 baked potatoes, carrots, green beans

Tuesday
5 rice cakes, 1 kiwi
8 small new potatoes, baked aubergine, 1 cup spinach, 1 red pepper,
2 baked potatoes, carrots, green beans, 4 cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon flaxseed (as constipated)
1 Banana

Monday
6 rice cakes
1 small bowl Blueberries, Raspberries
2 weetabix with unsweetened almond milk
15 small new potatoes, spinach, carrots, green beans
1 kiwi

Sunday
8 rice cakes
1 cup blueberries
1 kiwi
6 small new potatoes, 8 cherry tomatoes
2 bananas
1 orange
2 cups mashed sweet potato, 2 cups spinach
3 strawberries

I take a daily B12 supplement.

BlueBird24

Re: One month in and no IBS improvement - tips needed please

Postby BlueBird24 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:35 am

Thanks for the tips Cora.

Too much fibre definitely aggravates my IBS so I'll give the white rice a go.

I started the elimination diet but didn't manage to sustain it for long. Wheat, oats, most wholegrains, cruciferous veggies and legumes cause problems for me. Maybe it's time to give try the elimination diet again and test other suspect items like garlic, onion,tomatoes and cucumber. The only problem is that it means my diet is very restricted :| but perhaps that is what I need.
BlueBird24

Postby SonjaK » Thu May 03, 2018 7:47 am

I struggled with IBS for years and still am not completely great with my digestion but working on it. I do well on brown rice but don't digest rice cakes very well (they used to be more of an emergency food for me and now I don't eat them at all because of this). I noticed you are eating A LOT of them. Maybe try cutting those out and just eating rice?

Good luck. I know how demoralizing it can be to feel like everything makes you sick. :(

Sonja
SonjaK

Postby BlueBird24 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks SonjaK - I have been eating quite a few rice cakes so maybe time to cut back!
BlueBird24

Postby PJK » Thu May 03, 2018 4:07 pm

IMO, you need to eat more. For ex., on Day 1 your entire consumption of starch is just 2 potatoes and 2 rice cakes. That does not sound like enough for 3 meals.

If you're following the McDougall diet, you are eating a lot of starch with every meal. Breakfast is not just a bowl of fruit. There needs to be starch...bread, rice, oatmeal, whatever, but something.

One great thing about the starch solution is that you can eat your fill. As you state, you don't need to lose more weight.
PJK

Postby verde » Fri May 04, 2018 5:46 am

I second most of the comments already posted.

1 - you're not having enough starch
2 - rice cakes are terrible for ibs, and not a health food
3 - you're having too much fruit?

I'd suggest cutting the rice cakes, cutting down on me fruit, and increase moist cooked food like any cooked starch. You can even make large pots of soup with starches and vegetables for when you want a lighter feeling meal.

Also, as someone who's dealt with IBS, I've noticed that the longer you cook your veggies the easier they digest. And also frozen vegetables like broccoli are usually much much easier on your system. I can't have the fresh ones but frozen are totally okay with me. There's something that must happen to them in the process of flash freezing that makes them soft and easy to digest, while still packing all the required nutrients!

Good luck, let us know how these tips work for you!
verde

Postby verde » Fri May 04, 2018 6:18 am

Oh btw, if you can, get the book "Digestive Tune-Up" by Dr McDougall. Amongst others digestibility topics it covers IBS. It's a great book and explains the digestive process thoroughly from top to bottom, while mentioning how different foods affect each part of the process. Highly recommend it!
verde

Postby BlueBird24 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:28 am

Thanks for the tips PJK and Verde.

It makes sense to cut back on the rice cakes/fruit and up the starches. I think I'm struggling because Oatmeal and bread (which I love) do not agree with me and I have a very sweet tooth. Also, I haven't quite got my head around potatoes or rice for breakfast, although I have done it on one occasion. Frozen veggies are fab! I have been stocking up on them so now all I need to do is make a tasty soup - most of the food I have made so far is very bland as I'm not sure onion/garlic agree with me.

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's input - it's helping me stay motivated to stick with WFPB diet in spite of the lack of results so far. Fingers crossed I'll turn a corner soon :)
BlueBird24

Postby verde » Fri May 04, 2018 8:43 am

BlueBird24 wrote: I think I'm struggling because Oatmeal and bread (which I love) do not agree with me

I used to think oatmeal didn't agree with me either until I decided to actually cook it much longer than anyone is doing: I cook the old fashioned oatmeal flakes on the stove with lots of water and let it boil for 30 minutes, stirring well occasionally (and adding more liquid if needed).

Please please try this. The oatmeal practically dissolves and becomes actually very soothing to your gut because it's all soluble fiber.
Please try it before you ditch oatmeal! Trust me, this used to be a problem for me and ever since I cooked it this way, it's actually my go to meal when I'm desperately bloated and or in pain.
Sometimes I also add two tbsp of flaxseed meal to the oatmeal before cooking (so it cooks with the oats).

You can then top it with brown sugar or other sweeter. I encourage you to add any fruit like bananas or dates prior to cooking as well and cook with the oats. Not only will it be easier on your gut, but it'll make the flavors come out much sweeter! Also you can add any non dairy milk on top after serving.

If you prefer cold oats, let this oatmeal cool in the fridge before you eat it.
Girl, never again do overnight oats nor the 2min microwave one...it simply doesn't cook the oatmeal and only creates more uneasiness on your system unnecessarily!

If you try it let me know how it went.

Joana.
verde

Postby BlueBird24 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:12 am

Thanks for the oatmeal tip - I'll give it a go next week and let you know how I get on.
BlueBird24

Return to How to Begin