Long-Time Fan, Finally Understand

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Long-Time Fan, Finally Understand

Postby PinkSwan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:30 pm

I've been watching Dr.'s videos for several years, and reading the board occasionally, and was trying to decide between starch and vegan. In the meantime, I noticed I'm automatically drawn to eating mostly starches, and unless I do, I need to eat again very soon. Also, a vegan diet, especially raw, is very difficult on a pureed diet, as I have dysphagia. I think I registered for this board a few years ago, but no longer have my login, so have started over with a new membership.

Over the past 5 or 6 years, I've cut out beef, lamb, pork, and recently chicken. All that's left is the tuna and salmon, and my very big weakness which is ice cream. That is a comfort food for me, and so convenient when I don't have time for all the work of cooking, pureeing, et al, but I'm changing my perspective on these things, and looking forward to learning more. :-D
PinkSwan

Re: Long-Time Fan, Finally Understand

Postby PJK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:21 am

Instead of spending years (!) trying to decide, why not just take the plunge and try it?

My recommendation: Give the starch diet a fair trial. Say, 6 months. Then evaluate and decide whether to continue.

To give it a fair shake, you will need to eliminate the noncompliant foods you mention, including ice cream. But there are plenty of compliant desserts. Get a copy of Dr. McDougall's book The Starch Solution, and you'll find many recipes.

Decisions are based on a cost-benefit analysis. We try to predict the likely upside and downside. If you can't decide, it's usually because you don't have enough information. Trying the starch solution for 6 mo. would give you that info.

Good luck.
PJK

Postby PinkSwan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Why didn't I just "plunge right in"? Because after many years of experience, and many with devastating results, of just plunging in and trying a program or health plan, I've learned the hard way to be very sure I look into something extremely well before I take the leap. This way of eating could be all wrong. It is not helping a lot of people, as can be seen on some of the threads here, and in comments on his video channel.

For one thing, starches are mucous-forming, and that is never a good thing. Avocado is one of the worst offenders of this, and there are vegans who will not eat them. I just happened to read someone's comment last night on one of Dr. M's videos that 3 years ago this doctor fell in his carpeted bedroom, and broke several bones including fracturing a hip, would not go to the hospital, and it took a year to heal. As the commenter said, that is not good bone health for someone in their 60s at the time. He needs the very thing he is telling everyone not to use, and something that has helped me tremendously -- Vitamin D3. It's the oil from lanolin, which is from sheep's wool.

I have also never had an answer to why he said on stage in front of a room full of people that osteoporosis is a disease of the male genitalia, and I'm cleaning up the language. Several people have asked for an explanation of why a medical doctor would say such a thing, but there has not been an answer. So why should anyone rush right in to do something that could be harmful? No thanks, I've had enough of that.
PinkSwan

Postby PJK » Tue May 01, 2018 10:01 am

Starches are mucous-forming, and that's bad? What's your source for that information?

Certainly not Dr. McDougall, and this is a site for him and people who follow his diet guidance.

Good luck.
PJK

Return to How to Begin