Gonna Start Today

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gonna Start Today

Postby Beanjo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:32 pm

I am tired of being in pain. I am starting this diet today...scared because I'm not sure I can do it. But I have read several postings here and I see you all have done it, so maybe I can! I tried the 10-day free program a year and a half ago, but the recipes took too much time and I was living with my husband in an 18' camper at the time, so cooking was extremely difficult. But I felt great, and even felt like if I did it for a day, I was thinner! That amazed me. Currently, I am down 27 pounds following another great program, but I am in pain. I am not someone who shares a lot online, but I really want this. I am 56 years old, used to dance and sing and perform on stage. Now I drive almost 2 hrs a day to get to and from work and have to really plan to get decent meals in and to get up early enough to do a 30-minute walk. I found some walking buddies, so I'm excited about that, but have back pain and a lump under my arm, all for which I'm seeing a doctor. Test results come out on Friday, mamo on Thursday, meet with the biopsy doctor that afternoon as well. I don't think it's serious. I may have kidney stones too. Oh my! Anyway, I work with the hard of hearing, and I hear of so many aches, pains and diseases from my older and elderly patients. YIKES! I'm headed there if I don't take a sharp change of path. My husband has been obese for all of our married life, 18 years. He has had "good" health, decent numbers, but his mobility is challenging and he has knee issues. Since my health issues have surfaced I think he is getting concerned and he has agreed to do this with me. We want to love our life, not spend our later years in and out of doctors offices and hospitals! Thanks for all your support, advice and love. I am grateful for all of you and Dr. McDougall. I hope to be very successful!! :-P
Beanjo

Re: Gonna Start Today

Postby victw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Welcome Beanjo.

It takes a while to find a rhythm with recipes that work for you.

I was watching the Mary's Mini webinar this morning and Dr. McDougall says that he suggests something simple and easy while you are finding your way.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -03-24-16/

This could be something as simple as potatoes and broccoli. The potatoes can be microwared and the broccoli can be bought pre-cut. That's my version of simple and easy. You have to find your own.

Expect the road to be bumpy and just keep coming back to things that work for you.

Best wishes with your medical issues.
Vic

P.S. Does your name mean you like Beans? If so you have an easy filling food to work. Only a can opener and spoon required :)
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Bkworm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:13 pm

Welcome Beanjo,,

The reason I started this way of eating (WOE) was due to the extreme pain of RA. Five and a half years into the WFPB WOE and I am going strong. Had some bumps along the way and had to take a detour to an Elimination Diet to identify my personal food triggers. But since then have been primarily pain free of RA pain. Came off several meds for other medical ailments and only see my PCP once a year now.

Most of us seem to always start out the time consuming way of using complicated recipes and food prep. The complicated recipes are good for holidays, special occasions, having company for a meal, when you have time for food prep and want to cook, etc. But I finally learned to keep thing simple. Keep a large pot of rice and/or quinoa in the refrigerator which you can mix and match with other items. I fix huge pots of soup and stews that we eat on all week. Also make a huge kitchen-sink salad that lasts several days. Anything and everything you like in a salad - add beans, grains, potatoes, etc. to the salad.

Keep frozen veggies in the freezer. Jeff Novick recommends using frozen veggies. I take full advantage of them and it really helps in food prep time. Yes, when I have time for longer food prep I do use more fresh veggies. We love the organic, frozen broccoli and mixed veggies from Costco along with the Tuscany Blend and Brussels sprouts. Get frozen chopped green pepper and onion from Publix along with the steaming bags of petit green peas. You can get frozen brown rice or quick cooking brown rice.

Today I cooked a double batch of veggies burgers for my fellows using cooked rice and rolled oats. For myself I cooked a double batch of veggie burgers using cooked quinoa and quinoa flakes. Will put leftovers in the freezer to use later. Veggie burgers are also great crumbled into a salad. My fellows will make sandwiches out of the burgers with W/W buns, lettuce, sliced tomato and whatever else they want. I will use lettuce as my bun and might also dip some of the burgers in some type of sauce.

Dinner leftovers are great for breakfast , snacking, lunch, etc. My son loves dinner leftovers better than actual breakfast foods.

Some quick meals for yourself for lunch or whenever.

Baked potatoes topped with just about anything - salsa - soup and stews - oil-free BBQ sauce or mustard as a dipping sauce.
Baked potato topped with a huge serving of kitchen-sink salad with some fat-free BBQ sauce or other fat-free salad dressing.
Steamed Brussels sprouts topped with a bit of lemon juice or low-sodium tamari sauce.
Baked potato mashed with some mustard topped with cooked mixed veggies seasoned as you like them.
Plain baked sweet potato.
Baked sweet potato topped with a bit of unsweetened crushed pineapple and steamed broccoli.
Quinoa cooked with salt-free veggies broth topped with cooked mixed veggies and topped with some tamari sauce.
Quinoa or brown rice added to a huge salad of everything.
Cooked winter squash mashed or in chunks. Some recipes call to purée it with spices and use it as a sauce with pasta and broccoi. That is delicious. I get the winter squash peeled and cubed at Costco so it is a fast and easy but delicious meal.

The only grains my body tolerates are corn, quinoa, and buckwheat so it may seem my suggestions are limited. Just use your imagination to mix and match foods. I keep brown rice in the refrigerator for my guys to eat with anything and everything. When I say baked or steamed, I mean I cook them in the microwave. I know some people do not like to use a microwave.

I have lost 90 pounds so far and still have a ways to go so avoid flour products but can make a pot of Mary’s Brown Gravy in just a few minutes and my guys love it over rice topped with mixed veggies.

Mary McDougall’s recipes always seem very easy to me. Use her recipes on days you are pushed. When you want to cook try recipes from Engine 2 Diet, Dr. Esselstyn and Anne, Forks Over Knives, etc. I do have a number of favorite recipes from all of them. But you can easily keep things simple.

Good luck on your continued journey on the WFPB path.
Bkworm

Postby victw » Fri May 04, 2018 8:30 am

Beanjo - how is your week going? Sounds like you had a busy week of tests and medical experiences.

Vic
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
victw

Postby Beanjo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Oh thanks for the the great responses. I so appreciate it victw and bkworm! I have some very challenging news. Today I found out I have stage 3 breast cancer. Just read Dr. McDougall's article on breast cancer and the survivors. I will be getting his book. It has been a rough week. I had to have some oil today as I was out of town at the doctors and hubby and I decided to take in a movie to try and get our minds off of the news, but needed to get some dinner. But it was vegan, so I was partly successful. But it left me hungry, so I'll be back to the fridge in a moment. lol Your suggestions are wonderful. I am more determined now with this bad news to overcome and become healthy. Good news is though that I'm down 2 pounds since Monday, which was my first full day I could do the diet completely. My user name, victw, is a combination of my new diet (and I do like beans) and a play on the word banjo, because my husband has been obsessed with banjo's and has taught me to play, so I thought it would be a fun name! Had I read further and looked at what others have put as their usernames I would have just used my real name, which is Penny. I'm not a big social network person, but I am grateful to be here and have your input.
Beanjo

Postby victw » Wed May 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Wow Beanjo.

That's heavy news. I wish you the best. Please look for a support group in your area.

Please keep eating a diversity of veggies. The nutrient dense foods will help you on your journey.

Vic
victw

Postby viv » Sun May 13, 2018 9:29 am

HI Beanjo, I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Thank goodness you have found the McDougall Diet, this is the best possible way forward, combined with any treatment that you may have.

We know from the China Study, the largest nutritional study ever made, that the cancer gene is turned on or off dependent on the amount of animal protein in the diet, so make sure to eliminate all animal foods especially dairy, cheese and eggs. Eat lots of starches, fruits and veggies, sweet potatoes, reg potatoes, greens, oranges etc. Vit C is especially helpful.

I had a mastectomy about 10 years ago. I have followed the McDougall Diet for the last five years, I've lost 60 lbs, feel fantastic, and I have not had a recurrence. So stick with it, and we are thinking of you! btw I am just getting back into ballroom dancing after many years, now that I am slim and flexible enough to do those fancy turns!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Beanjo » Mon May 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Oh thank you both of you! I have lost 5 pounds this week on the diet (yay!). I started juicing again and am taking two fantastic supplements which helped my dad kill cancer cells when he had kidney cancer. Pycnogenol and Pomegranate (with ellagic acid). I am praying and meditating on not having to have surgery to remove both tumors this Friday. I have requested it. If it is God's will my tumors will have shrunk enough to delay the surgery. No mastectomy at this point... Good news already. My family and friends are also praying for me. I ordered Dr. McDougall's book for women's issues. I may join the health group here and I think there is a healingstrong.org group near me. I will get with that program or another which supports diet change. My journey has just begun. I tried 2 years ago to do the McDougall plan. Now I have every reason to really do it. Obviously, NO MORE DELAYS!
Beanjo

Return to How to Begin