Carbs In The Morning Make Me Sleepy???

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Carbs In The Morning Make Me Sleepy???

Postby Shawnshappywife » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:19 pm

I love overnight oats (uncooked) with fruit but after eating that for breakfast I feel REALLY sluggish at work for hours. I normally make it with 1 cup quick oats, 1/2 to 1 banana, 1-2 dates, 1 cup oat milk. I also tried green smoothies with bananas, oat milk, spinach and 1/4th avocado. Same effect. Please advise.
Shawnshappywife

Re: Carbs In The Morning Make Me Sleepy???

Postby PJK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Get more sleep? Drink coffee?

Seriously, there's nothing in these foods that would normally cause sluggishness.
PJK

Postby victw » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Or eat something else for breakfast.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Shariinsd » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 pm

When i first read your post, i thought it might be the dates that are making you tired. Dates make me very sleepy. But then i noticed the green smootgy didnt have dates in it. The two foods in common are the oat milk and banana. Have youtried substituting these for something else?

Not enough sleep or even not good sleep is something to consider. Also caffeine can be a factor. It picks you up then wears off and makes you more sleepy.

My advise would be to try different foods in the morning. Try to get more sleep. And if you drink caffeinated beverages, try to redo ce or él minate them.
Shariinsd

Postby countryfolks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:43 am

I noticed you use quick oats. Old-fashioned oats are less processed. What I would do is use old fashioned oats and substitute the banana for some berries.
countryfolks

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 am

Yes, try different starch(es). I had a period of a couple years where oats just made me pass out, almost literally. Actually got in auto accident which was pointed me to suspecting them and doing further tests. (Stopped at traffic light, I fell asleep and foot slipped off brake pedal. In the way of sleep and dreams, I had quick thought/image/sensation of stepping of an unexpected curb and so stamped my foot down...on the gas. Oops, sorry lady!) Anyway, that has since cleared up and I can now eat oats again. But during that time I had zero issues with sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, rice, barley, etc. O you might try mixing up the starch you choose. No need to have "breakfast foods" in the morning, potatoes are great! And if you really want "breakfast" there's always potato waffles :lol: Just smash a baked potato (with or without peel, both work) down on hot waffle iron (carefully), close the lid and mash down on that a bit to really flatten the potato, let it cook without peaking until start to smell "done". Iron should open with minimal to no sticking. I love those. I'm inclined to put salsa on, yes for breakfast, but maple syrup is excellent on them too, or just some berries maybe fork mashed a bit.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Jobet » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Yes, try different starch(es). I had a period of a couple years where oats just made me pass out, almost literally. Actually got in auto accident which was pointed me to suspecting them and doing further tests. (Stopped at traffic light, I fell asleep and foot slipped off brake pedal. In the way of sleep and dreams, I had quick thought/image/sensation of stepping of an unexpected curb and so stamped my foot down...on the gas. Oops, sorry lady!) Anyway, that has since cleared up and I can now eat oats again. But during that time I had zero issues with sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, rice, barley, etc. O you might try mixing up the starch you choose. No need to have "breakfast foods" in the morning, potatoes are great! And if you really want "breakfast" there's always potato waffles :lol: Just smash a baked potato (with or without peel, both work) down on hot waffle iron (carefully), close the lid and mash down on that a bit to really flatten the potato, let it cook without peaking until start to smell "done". Iron should open with minimal to no sticking. I love those. I'm inclined to put salsa on, yes for breakfast, but maple syrup is excellent on them too, or just some berries maybe fork mashed a bit.

Geoffrey, I have the same problem with oats, and I love them. Doesn't matter if they are regular, quick, organic, non-organic, gluten-free or what. Sweet or savory, I've tried them every way I can think of. Within a half hour after eating them, I'm so sleepy I have to lie down. So sorry for your accident. No way could I drive after eating oats. I've tried them periodically during the nine months I've been on the MWL program, and will continue to try again in several months. I'm hoping for the day I can eat them, if that ever happens for me.

I love the potato pancakes cooked on my waffle iron, too, with ketchup or salsa. I don't do very well with potatoes either, so have them rarely. The pancakes are a treat for me when I get a craving for chips or something like that.

Sweet potatoes, I do well with thankfully and eat them daily, often times for breakfast. I can eat quinoa too, and have it often.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby viv » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Google it! I typed in "oatmeal causes sleepiness" and there's over 60,000 responses. Apparently many people have the same issue.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Jack Monzon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Typing "The Earth Is Flat" gets me 453 million responses.
Jack Monzon

Postby exercise_guru » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:05 am

I eat some beans greens and fruit in the morning. I save oatmeal for evening. It makes me sluggish and overly hungry if I eat it in the mornings
exercise_guru

Return to How to Begin