Food addiction

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Food addiction

Postby Onehranch » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Hello! Thanks for having me here! I'm not vegan yet and am currently on the Bright Line plan for severe food addiction. The program calls for total abstinence (for someone of my level) of any kind of sugar (save for whole fruit) and any kind of flour. What do you think of this looking down the road towards your nutritional system? I am already seeing significant improvements but am still eating organic eggs and organic cheese.
Onehranch

Re: Food addiction

Postby SonjaK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:55 pm

I am currently following the "plan" you mentioned - no official program just my own decision - and have been for 3+ months. I have found it helpful for me in my situation but I know not everyone needs it.

I DO believe everyone needs to get off eggs and dairy though. Organic is basically meaningless when you're looking at the impact of those specific foods on your health. Dairy in particular, is completely toxic.

Sonja
SonjaK

Postby SunnyMcDGal » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:03 pm

I have problems with food cravings when I eat sugar and white flour. If I get derailed from my eating plan, the first step I always take is to quit eating sugar and white flour. After about 5 days, the cravings recede, but it helps to avoid being around these foods, so ridding the home of sugar/flour foods helps.

It is important to fill the void with healthful foods, and not be hungry. That is where a plan like McD comes in. When it comes to HEALTH, McDougall's plan consists of the foods that do not clog our arteries and veins, do not cause kidney disease, and do not cause a wide variety of the other health problems caused by a rich diet that plague Americans.

While sugar and white flour cause cravings which can lead to overweight and obesity (and diabetes), it is the meat, fat-oil, dairy, that cause many other major health problems. The meat-oil-fat-dairy are the really "bad" foods for health.

Take a look at Dr. McD's Picture Book elsewhere on this website to see what the diet consists of, then Google Mary McDougall's Mini Diet, in a 2006 Newsletter for an easy way to start McDougalling. The DVD's by the McDougalls and Jeff Novick are helpful in startijg, too (see the SHOP section on this website). I think you will find McD to be a more painless way to stay satieated and lose weight than traditional calorie restricted diets. For me, a calorie restricted diet leads to falling off the plan and bingeing on the very foods I vowed to give up. The McDougall Plan becomes a lifestyle and is sustainable.
SunnyMcDGal

Postby Plumerias » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Neal Barnard's Breaking the Food Seduction has some really good explanations that might be of assistance to you.
Plumerias

Return to How to Begin