Ideal fat percentage in diet

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ideal fat percentage in diet

Postby timc00k » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 am

I've just learnt about Dr. McDougall and his suggestions for healthy living.

What should I aim for in terms of my calories from fat? Currently, 20% of my calories are from healthy fats such as Flax seeds and peanut butter.

My goal is to make myself as best as possible, heart-attack proof. I am a 49-year old male, 5 foot 11-inches in height with a weight of 177 pounds. My blood pressure is roughly 110/70 but my cholesterol and LDL are high, although I don't have the exact numbers from my doctor.

I've been on a SAD diet for all of my life but switched over to a vegan diet in December.

Thank you
timc00k

Re: Ideal fat percentage in diet

Postby PJK » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Almost certain Dr. McD. does not give any recommendations on fat, healthy or otherwise, as a percentage of daily calories. As you probably know, his diet is extremely low-fat. For that matter, he doesn't recommend calorie-counting at all.

For further reading, this Dr. McD article might be helpful:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/featured-articles/articles/vegetable-fat-as-medicine/
PJK

Postby viv » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:32 am

Dr Esseslstyn in Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease treats patients with heart disease so he is very strict. He says no nuts, seeds, and avocado. He does allow a small amount of flax or chia spread on food (one tablespoon). But his main beef (sorry) is with oil, NO OIL not even a drop.

Here's a very short snippet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWOwZTo6GBE
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Willijan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:34 pm

When I first started reading about this way of eating in the 80s, I remember reading that a plant based diet with no oil and minimal high fat plant foods would get the fat intake down to about 10%. (That was from Dr. Dean Ornish, I believe.) And I remember reading that Dr. McDougall's personal fat intake was between 7% and (10%??). So I think our goal should be around 10% too, or perhaps a few points higher for those whose health allows them to eat some high fat plant foods.

We can automatically get to this goal by eating the way Dr. McDougall recommends. And we can see if our fat intake may be too high by having our cholesterol and triglycerides tested to see what happens as we change our diet. Perhaps there are other concerns with level of fat intake, while on this diet, that do not show up in blood lipids testing.
Willijan

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi timc00k,

Don't worry about fat, protein or carb percentages. Instead, just follow this program: eat mostly whole starches with some non-starchy vegetables and fruits. You will have a high carb, low fat, low protein diet that will provide all the essential fatty acids and amino acids your body needs, while providing carbs for energy.

You DO NOT and SHOULD NOT count calories, macro or micro nutrients on this way of eating. Instead when you are hungry, you eat, until you are satisfied. Period. Do this throughout every day. You will have energy, so move your body, get outside and get some sun for 30-60 minutes with a nice walk or other activity. You will also sleep better.

That's it. Do not over complicate it. If you need this re-enforced, then read through the Free Program here, read through the Color Picture Book, read through The Starch Solution or read through all of Jeff Novick's threads and writings.

BUT YOU CAN KEEP IT SIMPLE and follow everything above and you will find success. Stray from this way of eating and you will see less success if not further harm.

Enjoy your new health!
Scott
Ltldogg

Return to How to Begin