Jumping in for a splash of success

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jumping in for a splash of success

Postby Eager99 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Hello all! I am a newbie to this discussion board. I've never joined a group such as this one, so please bear with me while I adjust to the milieu. For over a year, I've avidly watched the youtube presentations of Dr McDougall as well as Dr Greger and others. I've tried a number of Mary McDougall's recipes and one from Gustavo Tolosa too. Had I known of this discussion board ages ago, I'd have joined. Today I found a link to it on Twitter.

I live in Connecticut. For most of my life, I've been vegetarian. Since 2011, I've been largely vegan. I'm in my early 60s. Although I'm too embarrassed to say my weight, it's under 200 pounds by a ways. Fortunately, I have no chronic illnesses. Unfortunately, I tend to junk food. That, I must cut out. But I did cut out all ethanol just over a year ago.

Currently, my goal is to lose 15 pounds by mid-March 2018; I have ten pounds of that to go. Dr McDougall's ideas for maximum weight loss appeal to me, and I want to give it a try. As an aside, recently I bought amla powder, but scarcely know how to use it. Already, I've been thrilled to see an amla recipe on this discussion board, involving amla with oats and cumin. I hope I can find the recipe again so that I can copy it!

I'm looking forward to success in losing chunks of weight and gaining superb health. I hope I can be supportive to some and likewise receive support in terms of goals.

Cheers!
Eager99

Re: Jumping in for a splash of success

Postby Eager99 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 pm

“If water falls over a dam, it splashes.” ~R.F.

Hello again!

Today I begin. As indicated earlier, after I had surveyed, during the course of a year or more, the various ideas about promoting best health, I settled on the McDougall plan because it’s rational, doable, satisfying. Nor should I be fat. Dr McDougall speaks realistically, if chastisingly, of those in my shoes:

The Fat Vegan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIY-A_UspTs

I’m guilty. I’m thus eager to begin my way towards the permanent end of this phase. The maximum weight loss (MWL) plan devised by Dr McDougall is, I believe, the direct route out of my quandary. The MWL plan appears efficient besides sensible. Already, I’ve found the McDougall MWL Guidelines, which are concise:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620

“Monotony” of nutrition is an extremely helpful idea. I can do that. For someone with a busy schedule, monotony means as well ease of planning and ease of preparation—both big plusses. So, here’s to getting started! In the next 5 weeks, I’m putting my best effort into the necessary changes-of-lifestyle needed. Of course, I love sweet potatoes and most starches, so it shouldn’t be too difficult, hey? On top of food changes, I’m determined to up my exercise to a full hour each day.

Cheers!
Eager99

Postby frozenveg » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Welcome, Eager! You seem to have a great basis to he going forward with! You CAN achieve good health! Keep us posted on your progress!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Eager99 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 am

Frozenveg, your success with weight loss (as accompanied by health) stands as a beacon guiding the way for those like me who are just starting out. How I admire you! I can only hope to be catching up with you in six months or a year. And I think I can do it.

Right now, I’m with Ellyloo in saying “So far, so good!” For me, this means I’ve had no difficulty accomplishing an hour-per-day of good exercise and I’ve been eating properly (but also in a restricted feeding window, after the OMAD idea, because it best curtails my appetite). Perhaps I’ll join the Friday weigh-in thread so that I can record my steady progress—such is my dream. Again, thank you for replying. I can’t wait to be at my goal weight, which is about 130 lbs.

Let me note also that I found a great Dr Lisle video in, I think, the MWL thread.

The Pleasure Trap & Calorie Density
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuNKhsh4wg

What a wealth of information and comprehension Dr Lisle is able to provide! This video, along with his Cram Circuit video, goes a long way toward helping me to understand my problem with food and understand that problem’s deeper background.
Eager99

Postby Eager99 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 am

I just happened upon an astringent posting in the discussion forum section called “The Lounge.” Written by Ltldogg (whose name is Scott), the posting appears in a thread titled “Re: Potato Reset e-Book Released” and is dated Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:31 pm.

Here is the link to the thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56958

I’m quoting a substantial portion of the Ltldogg posting below because I, as a newbie, have found it helpful. I've read it three times. Maybe it can help other newbies.

Ltldogg writes:

“…You should never take any kind of advice from these YouTubers looking to make money off of being coaches and nutritional advisors; this goes for Chef AJ too. I'm sorry, but it has to be said.

If these people would have just followed Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick's advise, consistently and long-term, they would all achieved results. John and Jeff are the experts and have education credentials, decades of experience and practice with real clients. They back up their methods with Scientific studies. They give credit to others for helping shape their careers and guiding them.

Following "YouTubers" and Chef's nutritional advice blurs the advice from experts that actually works. I have said it before and will say it again, I don't understand people who are on THESE boards and constantly espouse the advice from people other than Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick; especially unqualified people with limited experience, no credentials, no long-term success, constantly changing approaches, etc.

If you can't watch these YouTubers and Chef's for nothing but entertainment and McDougall complaint recipe ideas, then you should really consider stop watching them all together.

I'm not sorry for this post except to say I wish it didn't have to be said, but we have new people join these forums all the time. And all of them (and even some long time followers) are easily impressionable and this trend needs to be stopped.

Stick with Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick and you'll be fine!

Cheers,
Scott”
Eager99

Postby viv » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Great advice! No need to muddy the waters. Simply follow Dr. McDougall and Jeff to reach your highest health potential. Like many on these boards, I wish I had taken heed many years ago. My life would have been very different, but hey better late than never.

btw Welcome!!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Eager99 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:03 am

Viv—Thanks for the welcome! Good of you, too, to comment on Ltldogg’s ideas. Because of the wisdom embodied in Ltldogg’s missive, I’m switching from OMAD to the better, less restrictive McDougall MWL program proper as of today.

Like you, Viv, I’ve lost 60-some pounds already. While that is an accomplishment, it seems, for me, more like a sheer anomaly that my weight ever rose to high above 200 pounds in the first place. But now it’s trouble time. I have about 50 or 60 lbs more to lose. Everyone says these are the hardest pounds to lose. However, armed with the McDougall MWL program proper, now I’m ready to sally forth.

Cheers!
Eager99

Return to How to Begin