Introducing Myself

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Introducing Myself

Postby amylounell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:00 am

Hello! I just got the book Monday & read it in about 2 hours. Amazing!
I'm 36 years old and have been married for 17 years & momma to 4 awesome children. I'm looking forward to reaping the benefits of this way of eating. I've had joint pain since I was in high school, it started in my knees and through the years spreading everywhere, I have had debilitating migraines for 11 years now, psoriasis of the scalp & now on my knees & elbows, never have any energy, depression off & on plus have been overweight since I was young. Years ago, I said enough & chunked all prescription meds in the trash because nothing helped & the side effects were so terrible. I've tried different diets & supplements which only offered temporary relief if any at all. I feel defeated! When you have a family with young children, your whole family suffers while you do because you're not able to live life with them like you should be able to. I'm willing to try just about anything except for going to another doctor.
I'm from the Southern part of US where we would fry water if we could & can have a meal of just meat all day. I honestly don't think that this change will be hard for me because all of these foods are favorites of mine except for a handful. I'm trying to convince my husband to join me but it will probably take him seeing the change for me to get him on board.
Looking forward to getting great advice & encouragement!! :-D
amylounell

Re: Introducing Myself

Postby americaninca46 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Amy, Welcome to the best eating plan for health and well being ever. If you are serious and persevere you will have all the support you need for a great outcome. One of my favourite books has been Journey to Plant based Eating by Lani Muelrath. I wish you all the success in the world. Keep us posted as you go. All the best, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Eager99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:21 am

amylounell wrote:Hello! I just got the book Monday & read it in about 2 hours. Amazing!

Dear Amy, I love your enthusiasm. How is going for you so far? I'm curious to know which book you mean. Today, I ordered Dr McDougall's book in paperback titled "The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss." It won't arrive soon enough for me! I wish I had it right now! With it, I think I can go forward confidently.

Cheers!
Eager99

Postby viv » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:14 am

Welcome Amy! You have come to the right place to reach your highest health potential. If you follow the McDougall Diet of Starches with the addition of fruits and vegetables, with no added oil you will reach your ideal weight and you will feel great and look goood! What's not to like? I suggest you read up on the many success stories related to similar auto immune conditions that you are experiencing, e.g. psoriasis, arthritis etc.

I started five years ago and never looked back. I made a commitment to follow the diet for one year and I told myself that I could go off it after 12 months if I wanted to. I kept going and changed my life.

I keep it simple and it works for me and many others not to overthink it. Find a few meals that you like and repeat daily. In my life, it's groundhog day every day - and I love it. My typical day
B - 3/4 cup dry oatmeal made into porridge with a banana
L - 3 slices of ezekial bread with fruit spread, one apple and one banana. (I'm a teacher and take a packed lunch to school)
D - Giant potato zapped in microwave with different toppings. Here the weather has been very cold so I simple pour a can of veggie soup over the potato with extra steamed veggies.
Snacks: I always have fruit, veg, more potatoes, another slice of bread etc. for snacks. I don't get hungry and I eat a lot of food.

Good luck and we look forward to hearing more about your journey.
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Beanjo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:42 am

Good luck Amy!! I'm new here too! I've been toying with Dr. McDougall's diet for 2 yrs. Tried it while I lived in a camper and just couldn't cut it with all the food prep. (I tried to do his free 10-day program. In spite of the long food prep, his recipes are very good.)
Thankfully I'm out of the camper and back in my home. I'm ready to start up again and I have to say, THANKS VIV for the great, simple set of meals you do daily! I've been so worried how I was going to do this. That's exactly what I needed to read!! I think I can do what you do. I work full time and drive almost 2 hrs/day to get to and from work. I also want to work out early in the morning, so my days are full and lots of food prep is almost impossible if I want to get plenty of sleep. So your meal plan seems very doable. :nod: To introduce myself, I'm 56 years old and have been very healthy, though overweight. I recently lost almost 30 pounds on another program, and am ecstatic about that. However, I am in pain, have a lump under my arm (seeing doctors about that) and have either kidney stones or back issues (seeing doctor about that too). I used to be very active but find it hard to even move sometimes. I have been diagnosed with some arthritis and I am done with all this! LOL I want to feel good again and continue my weight loss. I have about 20 pounds to go. Plus I am very worried about my husband who has been obese for many years, though in reasonably good health. He and I know that won't last. He says he's ready to do this with me. I hope so! Thank you for your comments and Viv for the great ideas!! I am excited.
Beanjo

Postby moonspirit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am

Hi everyone,

I've been back on the McDougall plan for one week. I did it successfully in the early 90s, and am back because I am finally getting my health and weight back under control. I would like to lose 55 lbs (and have already lost 6 of that this week - though I'm really only down 2 points from my normal weight). The week before I started was a "retreat week" where I work (I manage a Buddhist retreat center), and the food we serve is much richer than my normal fare. Anyway, I happened to go to the doctor on Monday (after being on plan for just 2 days), and my blood pressure was down 10 points for both numbers. I'm feeling confident that this is going to help me feel better again.

I am doing the MWL plan, and so far have not slipped. Eating oatmeal with apple chunks right now. :)

Glad to be here,
Becca
moonspirit

Postby veg tom » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 am

When I starter to get older [I guess we all do if we are lucky ] I was sore. Just getting older right. When I started over 20 years ago it was said you will get rid of your pain. Ya right I said to my self but guess what, it is true. I have very physical job and I have no pain at all. It works, and it is best to keep it simple.
A is A
veg tom

Postby Idgie » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:34 am

Hi, Amy,

I've been here about two months, and I've lost 35 pounds and stopped having headaches. Which book did you get? I have most of Dr. McDougall's books, and I can't say enough good things about them. Also, I got a TON of help from the book "Beck Diet Solution" which among other things has helped me give up the notion that I'm not strong enough to do this diet without "cheating." Welcome!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Return to How to Begin