Questions....

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Questions....

Postby KathyClark » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Hello from Alabama. I listened to a very compelling webinar or speech by Dr McDougall and as a result
I purchased "The Starch Solution".

I am trying to take care of my 88 yr old husband. He has a lot of health issues. Tons of meds.
He is willing for us to try this way of eating to see if we feel better.

Jim, has stents in his heart, HighBloodPressure, Type 2 Diabetes, Kidney Failure, Gout, and Thyroid.

I have Arthritis, am overweight, take thyroid meds, constipation, and have trouble with my esophagus.

Questions re this way of eating.

We are use to eating baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. and or loaded with cheese.
So what do you put on a baked potatoe.

We also use Almond Milk. Is this ok?

We are trying to give up on things like icecream, cheese. So this is going to be hard to do, but I am so
tired of feeling bad.
Kathy Clark
KathyClark

Re: Questions....

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 am

KathyClark wrote:Hello from Alabama. I listened to a very compelling webinar or speech by Dr McDougall and as a result
I purchased "The Starch Solution".

Welcome!

Be sure to explore the main web site using the links above. You'll get a lot of information in both written and video form. Start with the Quick Start page, especially the videos by Mary McDougall on how to cook and how to eat away from home.

We are use to eating baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. and or loaded with cheese.
So what do you put on a baked potatoe.

Here's a list of idea from the old McDougall forum on VegSource. I know it's here in these message boards, too, but the search for "potato toppings" brought up over a thousand pages, so it's easier to link to this one:

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/mcdougall ... 17616.html

We also use Almond Milk. Is this ok?

As long as the ONLY ingredients are almonds and water. Avoid plant milks with additives, like sugars, salt or oils.

We are trying to give up on things like icecream, cheese. So this is going to be hard to do, but I am so
tired of feeling bad.

A good ice cream substitute is to take frozen bananas and stick them in a blender or food processor, or an appliance called a Yonanas machine. You can add other fruits in, too.

As for cheese, there are many, many cheese substitute recipes out there that use nutritional yeast for that cheesy smell and flavor. It takes some getting used to if you're a cheese addict, but in time your tastes adapt.

Be sure to look over the Recipes section on the web site (Drop down link under Education) to find thousands of recipes for this WOE (way of eating) that'll suit anyone's tastes. There are even videos of a handful of recipes, and printable recipe cards. And check out the Store section for other books by Dr. McDougall, and videos of lectures and cooking from both him and his wife Mary, and loads from the McDougall program dietitian Jeff Novick, who has his own set of cooking DVD's out, the Fast Food series (all meals ready in 10 minutes or less).

It may seem overwhelming at first, but as soon as you find a handful of meals you and your husband enjoy, it'll be easy. Start off with simple things, like oatmeal or hash brown potatoes for breakfast, soup, salad or sandwiches (or leftovers) for lunch, and a few baked potatoes with one of the toppings on it for dinner. The topping can be as simple as gravy or Right Foods soup cup, or as complex as a thick soup or chili. It goes even quicker if you keep already cooked baked potatoes in the refrigerator and just heat them up for meals and even snacks. Make a veggie or side salad to go with it and you're done. No need to spend hours in the kitchen unless you want to.

So, again, welcome, and have fun exploring the site and enjoying your new found healthy way of living. :)
VeggieSue

Postby haze5736 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:31 pm

KathyClark wrote:I am trying to take care of my 88 yr old husband. He has a lot of health issues. Tons of meds.
He is willing for us to try this way of eating to see if we feel better.

Wow! This is impressive to me that your husband, at 88, is willing to try something different. I'm hoping some day my mother will have some sort of epiphany to make such a change.

Regarding baked potatoes, my family normally uses salsa, mustard or ketchup. On occasion we will make the cheese sauce from a vegan Mac N Cheese recipe and top the potato with broccoli and "cheese" sauce. Here's a recipe from the Forks Over Knives website.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/sweet-potato-mac-cheese/#gs.ZEXDtkw

Once you get into your own rhythm you'll be amazed at how easy this way of eating really is. Good luck in your journey.
haze5736

Postby calvin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:32 pm

When I discovered

Mary's Creamy Golden Gravy

I began eating potatoes and gravy three meals a day. :D I have since restrained myself, in the sense of a far more varied menu, but maybe tomorrow morning for breakfast...we'll see. 8)

Here is my current variation on her theme:

Serves one*
1.5 T rice flour
1 T rolled oats
1 t ground flax
1/4 t amla powder
1/4 t cumin
1 generous cup water

when thickened to your taste, stir in 1/2 t black pepper and pour over cubed nuked russet and serve with vegies and or leafy greens of your choice, e.g. spinach or kale, fresh cranberries (now in season but not for much longer), chopped celery (for crunch), purple cabbage. I wrote "serve with" but, frankly, in my case it all goes into one microwave-safe bowl. Three to four cups of deliciousness.

*as you see, I've modified Mary's recipe, but it's just temporary. Ingredients come and go, like mushrooms, onion, garlic, tahini, peanut butter, soy sauce, miso, and other likely suspects. Have fun with it.
calvin

Postby Catmom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am

I love baked potatoes with (oil free) refried beans and salsa on them.

I buy canned refried beans that don't have oil. Sometimes I find them with spices and chilies added, all the better. Salsa and chopped tomatoes are good. Also chopped green onions.

I want to wish you luck and encouragement for what you are doing. I think you will find benefits from it.
Catmom

Postby Bkworm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 am

First off KathyClark, I agree that having an 88-year-old husband willing to make a change to this way of eating (WOE) is totally fantastic and the fact that you are willing to also make this change is absolute wonderful. I deal with RA, thyroid issues, and weight issues myself so can really relate. This way of eating has saved my life over the past five years. You have come to the right place for help with the changes and encouragement. The people on this forum are so willing to share and offer lots of encouragement.

A big change in thought process is to stop thinking of potato and other starches as side dishes as most of us were taught growing up, they now become the main part of your meal. Starches do not hurt us, it is what we put on top of them that hurt us, such as sour cream.

Just about any compliant soup or stew will be delicious on top of a baked potato or rice. I also love a mixture of angel hair cabbage and brocoli slaw with a fat free salad dressing on top of a baked potato. Mustard and fat free BQQ sauce are wonderful dipping sauces with a sliced baked potato as a snack. I also love to steam some mixed veggies with a bit of black pepper. Then cook a baked potato and mash it. Mix some mustard into the potato and top with the mixed veggies.

There are several fat-free gravy recipes available online and through Dr. McDougall, Forks Over Knives, and Engine 2 Diet but they are usually made with some type of flour which when trying to lose weight should be limited. Calvin supplied the link to Mary's Creamy Golden Gravy which is fantastic as far as I am concerned, but can not longer eat as it is made with rice flour. I do make it regularly for my guys to eat on top of rice and veggies.

Here is a link to a Cauliflower Cheese Sauce from Fat Free Vegan made with cauliflower and spices then blended into a sauce. I do add a bit more spice to get it to my taste. But I eat this on top of lots of things including potatoes.
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/05/ch ... sauce.html

Here are a couple of YouTube links for fat free gravy. One is made with navy beans as the base. This makes a very thick gravy so you may want to add additional water to the recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_YJLG7UMk&t=127s

This gravy contains a half-cup of flour but seems to be a good recipe. I have not made it yet myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIZQ9nKfI-A

I remember Rip Esselstyn stating one time that when working with the recipes, they are just the starting point, you can always add spices or not even uses spices you don't like. Adjust them to meet you and your husband's taste.
Bkworm

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:16 am

In my post above I mentioned those McDougall's Right Foods soups. In Monday's webinar Dr. McDougall mentioned that since he and Mary basically have no home and have been nomadic since the wildfires destroyed their house, they ordered a few cases of those soups and have been living off of them as they move from place to place. I'm assuming he meant she serves them over potatoes, as she mentioned a few times in the past is how they use them.
VeggieSue

Postby Michele613 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi everyone....trying to get started for a longer run and feeling good but I have questions now and then.

(1) can I really not focus on calories as it is such a chore and several of the webinars and forums seem to say that one can avoid that chore. On occasion I have eaten a plate of mashed potatoes or rice noodles with mac n' cheese sauce or sweet potatoes etc and I am feeling guilty. Should I just let the scale answer?

Thank you.
Michele613

Postby frozenveg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Michele613 wrote:Hi everyone....trying to get started for a longer run and feeling good but I have questions now and then.

(1) can I really not focus on calories as it is such a chore and several of the webinars and forums seem to say that one can avoid that chore. On occasion I have eaten a plate of mashed potatoes or rice noodles with mac n' cheese sauce or sweet potatoes etc and I am feeling guilty. Should I just let the scale answer?

Thank you.

Michele, we do not count calories in this way of eating! We can, of course, (it's not like it's forbidden!) if we have some reason to--I will occasionally check how many calories I'm having in a typical day, just for the knowledge.

You will find this thread interesting--Calorie Density is the concept that allows us to understand WHY we don't have to count calories--the foods we eat the most of are the lowest in calories per mouthful!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53177

Also, there is no rule that limits us to one starch at each meal or snack, so you can combine mashed potatoes and rice noodles or whatever looks good. I'm not sure about the mac'n'cheese sauce--I am assuming it's a McDougall-compliant recipe?

And are you eating some vegetables, too? Make sure you get in some veggies! No calorie counting required!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Michele613 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Thank you 'frozenveg'.......I appreciate the info and will check out the link. I just feel 'guilty' some days if I eat a couple of full plates of mashed potatoes or 3 cups of rice noodles, etc. BTW, yes, the mac n' cheese recipe is from McDougall archives. It works for me as it adds flavor to an otherwise plate of plain potatoes or noodles. I've stocked up on the nutritional yeast for tofu mayo/salad dressing etc. I'll try to continue eating until I am reasonable satiated without guilt...I'll try. I do feel better.
Michele613

Return to How to Begin