Starting a Whole Starch eating plan tomorrow!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Starting a Whole Starch eating plan tomorrow!

Postby vegrunlive » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi everyone!

New here! But not new to vegan eating. I've been vegan nearly 4 years (veganniversary is March 13th). I was vegetarian for 5 years before going vegan over night after watching Forks over Knives. I lost 30lbs the first 6 weeks eating plant based. But then it became more about the animals and less about health and the weight slowly came back. A change in jobs (I sit 8 hours a day) and a surprise divorce didn't help my health much either. Starting tomorrow January 1st, I will be eating a High Carb Low Fat Diet. I've read or listened to The Starch Solution, Dr. McDougall's Plan for Maximum Weight Loss as well as many other plant based books (The China Study, The Cheese Trap, and others).

My goal is to lose around 100lbs in the next 2 years. I'm a 35 year old woman, currently around 250lbs and only 5ft 2in tall. I need to reclaim my health, I have recently started walking and running in intervals thanks to inspiration from Rich Roll's book Finding Ultra. I have even committed to a half marathon this March in DC!! Sadly, 2 months ago my training derailed when I sprained my ankle so badly I worried it was broken. But I am getting back to it, even despite the winter, and need to really buckle down and eat healthy to shed pounds to make the training easier!

Any advise would be amazing! Even just examples of what to expect the first few weeks eating this way...and especially from any runners or walkers out there!

I look forward to some great discussions here! So excited about this next Chapter in my life!

:) Deese
vegrunlive

Re: Starting a Whole Starch eating plan tomorrow!

Postby pundit999 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:12 am

vegrunlive:
Welcome aboard.

This is the ideal place for you. If you follow the maximum weight loss plan guidelines, you will lose all the weight you have to lose much earlier than the 2 years you have planned for. We see it on these forums all the time.

You do not have to do marathons or any intense exercise and run into the danger of hurting yourself. Just walk an hour a day.

Simple and easy.
pundit999

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:34 am

Congratulations on your resolve. You sound like one really determined lady. But with your height and weight, I am afraid you may be setting yourself up for disappointment or worse - injury If you insist on doing a half-marathon by March. I would strongly encourage you to take it slow. Aim for March 2019!
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby americaninca46 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 am

Welcome Vegrunlive, If you follow this way of eating as close as possible, I know you will loose al the weight you want. And fairly fast too. I lost over 60 lbs. in a year without much exercise. Take it slow so you don't get hurt. Your health will be your reward. We are here to support you. All the best, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby vegrunlive » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'm excited to see how this goes. I've lost 7lbs in January. But I'm still training and started doing yoga every day two weeks ago. My sister is a personal trainer and RD and told me that my scales will not be accurately depicting my weight loss since I am building muscle at the same time. I feel great!

I totally understand the words of caution. I've never been an active person, but I love walking and running now! I can't imagine stopping. Even if its a quick 10 min jaunt! I'm on a training program that will help me walk the half marathon. It's only 13.1 miles. I've walked that in a day of antiquing! But of course, this will be much more purposeful walking with a faster pace.

I've got a good support group, sister, cousin and friend all doing it with me in March. We paid for it last fall so I'm committed to it! My sister is in far better shape than me. A skinny vegan who runs 6 miles regularly, and she's been dealing with a knee injury lately. I'm counting my blessings that I'm feeling no pain, other than occasional twinges from the ankle I twisted last November...but it's getting stronger too!

As for sticking to the Starch Solution I've done okay, Belvita cookies have snuck in here and there. And Mellow Mushroom pizza too...I Need to get more strict with sugar and fat...but I was already vegan so of course no animal product slip ups. I did cut out caffeine this year. I'm not sure for how long, but the fact that I've only had 1 headache this year is incentive to stay caffeine free forever! As someone who has documented 15 headaches in 1 month this is life changing!

The RD sister thinks the lack of headaches may be a combo of the way less refined sugar and flours along with the no caffeine and the increased activity.
vegrunlive

Postby viv » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:19 am

Good luck, walking a half marathon sounds much more doable than a running half marathon! Great that your sister is your coach.

The only way that a vegan can get up to 250 pounds is by eating a high fat diet, so the low fat McDougall Diet is perfect for reaching your ideal weight. Sugar is allowed on this diet as a condiment. Sugar is not the enemy, fat is. So be scrupulous on no oil, margarine, vegan junk foods, fake cheese, soyburgers etc. Also until you reach your ideal weight no high fat plant foods such as avocados, olives etc. My weight loss miracle is potatoes, eat lots of potatoes - baked (no oil), microwaved, steamed, boiled whatever, it's all good!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to How to Begin