Are crunchy corn chips possible?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are crunchy corn chips possible?

Postby mestervig » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:15 am

Anyone got any tips for this? I am making our own corn tortillas to avoid the oil and additional salt. I've tried multiple times to make some chips to go with my tahini-free hummus. This last bunch turned out perfect--thin and crispy until...the next day! Then, they were almost too hard to even bite!! I had to throw this bunch out as well, and I thought I finally figured it out. I'm making the tortillas which turn out perfectly...foldable and not breaking apart. Then, I cut into triangles and "toast" in the toaster oven for about 5 min. What am I doing wrong? Please help!
mestervig

Re: Are crunchy corn chips possible?

Postby Vegankit » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Without the added oil, I’ve found that “chips” and other crunchy foods need to be made fresh and consumed within a short time.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Michele613 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi mestervig....I have been craving corn tortillas as they are not available where I am...can get flour ones with lard or oil but not corn. I watched a bunch of videos on making them but most used a 'press'....do you too or can you recommend something else as I can't get one where I live?
Michele613

Postby frozenveg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:58 pm

I, too, have found that you need to make the chips and eat them quickly. They don't keep their freshness very long.

So if you've found the way that makes them perfect for you at the time, only make that many. Try to think of it like so many other foods that only taste good fresh, and make just enough for today, rather than stocking up.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby mestervig » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am

Michele613--I did purchase a press cheap through Amazon, but I've found that I still need to use a rolling pin to get the torillas even thinner than the press will do. If you have a cast-iron fry pan, that will work as good as any press. However, please note what everyone here is saying>>that the chips will not keep their freshness beyond the day that they are made, so only make enough that you can immediately consume. That certainly changes the picture for me. I did find a baked tortilla at Publix that has no oil in it and I break those up into chips. These do not lose their freshness.
mestervig

Postby Michele613 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Mestervig....guess I haven't been coming to the forums very often since the date of your reply is awhile ago. Wanted to thank you for your post as I think I have decided 'not to bother' and just find another food that I can enjoy. I am going to US shortly and I was seriously considering buying a press, etc. but as you reminded me: make only what you can eat right away. Well that kind of defeats the purpose of stockpiling. I don't want to go through all the effort and then eat it all up. My first attempt, without a press, was DIASTEROUS mainly due to fact that I only had corn meal to use which I tried to process, unsuccessfully, into a flour.....soooooo guess it has to be something else crunchy and yummy. Any suggestions? :)
Michele613

Postby Ellyloo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 pm

We find that placing an uncooked tortilla (that I make from maseca and water) in the microwave for 2 minutes will crisp it up nice. Multiples at the same time haven't been accomplished yet.
Ellyloo

Return to How to Begin