Type 2 & Hypothyroid

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Type 2 & Hypothyroid

Postby frooskydoosky » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:03 pm

I have not been on any medication for type 2 diabetes and hypothyroid for about 3 years, of my own doing. I am on a quest to heal my body through diet and exercise, as much as I can. I've been doing a lot of research lately about high protein/high fat diets and how they are not good for someone with hypothyroid. When I was diagnosed with Type 2 I went high protein/fat, low carb and started to see changes. But I didn't stick with it. I also know if I keep myself moving regularly, that helps as well. I need to lose a lot of weight, but for the first time feel super confused and not sure which direction to take.
Any advice or personal experience advice I would find helpful. I know that every person's body is different, and responds differently to different diet and exercise regimens. So, anyways. Thank you.
frooskydoosky

Re: Type 2 & Hypothyroid

Postby viv » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 pm

If you are low thyroid it's important to take the meds if your TSH levels are above 2.5. If you have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition, the thyroid is being destroyed by the immune system and as far I know cannot regenerate. Mental fog and confusion is a symptom of low thyroid so suggest you see an endocrinologist for a work up, blood tests etc.
Untreated low thyroid can have serious side-effects up to and including heart failure.

Good luck!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Re: Type 2 & Hypothyroid

Postby lisa1976 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:43 am

Get a prescription for thyroid hormone right away. Going starch based will not correct your thyroid levels, only thyroid replacement can do that. Your health will confinue to decline without it. Every famous doctor out there agrees on this one no matter which WOE they promote from Dr McDougall to the anti-wheat Dr Davis.
(Now some feel better on a mix of T4 plus T3 there is not consensus on that.)
lisa1976

Return to How to Begin