Help! I’m NOT enjoying my new food

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Help! I’m NOT enjoying my new food

Postby MmmCarbs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi UtahJane, I'm so glad things are working out for you. Sounds like a terrific Thanksgiving, no stress for anybody to accommodate you and you got a good meal.
MmmCarbs

Postby alwaysevolving » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks again UtahJane for the info. My mom and step-dad have been on the diet for about 3 months now and they decided to have a on plan Thanksgiving. They made sure that it was okay with the other family members coming and they all were up for the "challenge" and they had a wonderful dinner from what I hear and didn't seem to miss the traditional dishes. Matter of fact my step-brother and his wife decided to go on the diet. Apparently my step-brother has a cholesterol of 250, which is amazing because he is a runner and doesn't have any kind of weight problem.

May I ask everyone if they did not see a weight loss initially? What do you think that is about?

Thank you for sharing your experience UtahJane, must feel great to be a blessing to so many.
AlwaysEvolving
“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”

alwaysevolving

Postby UtahJane » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:22 am

Early on I experienced almost three weeks of no weight loss. I used this site to do a lot of study and decided for me it was the wonderful smoothie I was having every morning. I learned it is better to eat your calories than drink your calories, especially for weight loss. I hated to give them up, but out they went and down my weight has gone since that point. I still have a smoothie every once in a while, but it is a treat not a daily staple.

Even if you don't want to follow the maximum weight loss program strictly (I have not), I still found it useful to understand it so I would know where I was deviating from it. Then I knew what I could change if I wanted to lose weight more rapidly. For example, I don’t eat bread very often for that very reason.
UtahJane

Postby alwaysevolving » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:25 pm

UtahJane wrote:Early on I experienced almost three weeks of no weight loss. I used this site to do a lot of study and decided for me it was the wonderful smoothie I was having every morning. I learned it is better to eat your calories than drink your calories, especially for weight loss. I hated to give them up, but out they went and down my weight has gone since that point. I still have a smoothie every once in a while, but it is a treat not a daily staple.

Even if you don't want to follow the maximum weight loss program strictly (I have not), I still found it useful to understand it so I would know where I was deviating from it. Then I knew what I could change if I wanted to lose weight more rapidly. For example, I don’t eat bread very often for that very reason.

i think because I was not satiated and always felt hungry that I probably was eating too many wheat and soy products. I just read the article on Mary's Mini diet... I could always just steal my grandbaby's squash baby food. Lol. just kidding. :wink:
AlwaysEvolving
“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”

alwaysevolving

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:07 pm

lol..i like the squash and carrots mixed together for a quick soup! :D
ncyg46

Postby UtahJane » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:23 pm

I’ve come a long way since I first opened this discussion back in 2011! I now thoroughly enjoy my WFPB food. I wish others could understand that with a little time and patience, everyone can discover that the food tastes wonderful and that they can develop the necessary cooking skills, even if they start at ground zero (like me!).

I am happy to announce I have now published a book about my experience on a WFPB diet! As a Mormon, I’ve long understood that God cares about what we eat, but I never realized all the basic principles of a WFPB diet are actually contained in what Mormons call their own dietary health code, the “Word of Wisdom.” My book is my journey in discovering the Word of Wisdom and sharing it with others. Writing this book and sharing it with others is one of the greatest joys I've ever experienced. You can check out the announcement of the book here:

Announcement: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40815

Buy a copy here: http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/buy-book/

Thanks everyone for your support!

Jane
Last edited by UtahJane on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
UtahJane

Postby pinkrose » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:45 pm

I am glad you are doing so well, Jane! It seem that we often underestimate our ability to adapt. Chinese say, "Where there is a will, there is a way." :idea:

With time and practice, I think almost anyone can adapt (and enjoy) eating low fat plants! :nod:
pinkrose

Postby sjsilver » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:47 pm

I love salsa and could eat it every day. So I often put a couple tablespoons of it on top of my meals. That really spices things up for me and makes a bland meal quite nice.
sjsilver

Postby UtahJane » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:24 pm

Thanks for the well wishes pinkrose!

I find I am using more and more salsa. I enjoy a variety of sauces, but salsas are especially good because there are so many that are 100% WFPB. If anything is too bland, a few dashes of tabasco sauce usually is enough.

I've posted information about an "easy way" to eat WFPB and what I eat on my website:

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/w ... made-easy/
UtahJane

Postby sjsilver » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:23 am

I will have to try your 3-2-1 salad dressing. That looks interesting and I just picked up those ingredients. :-D
sjsilver

Postby UtahJane » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:15 am

I originally got that recipe from Dr. Esselstyn's book. They call it "Jane's 3, 2, 1" (named after their daughter)!

I have MANY more salad dressing recipes, but this one is so easy that I rarely make any others. I don't think I would have liked this one in my old SAD days, but now it works quite well. I also love to add fruit to my salads.
UtahJane

Postby sjsilver » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:26 am

I really like the dressing. I even put some on a baked potato. The strong vinegar made my eyes water when I inhaled but it tasted really good. :eek:
sjsilver

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:54 am

UtahJane - congrats on publishing your book! I'm glad I saw this thread and I'm glad you provided a link to your web site. Great stuff! Inspiring!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby UtahJane » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks so much, Lizzy! Let me know if you have a story you'd like to contribute to the website. I'm collecting stories of Mormons who have adopted a whole food, plant-based diet. I love getting these stories, and I hope we can help and encourage each other by sharing our stories:

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com

Blessings!
Jane
UtahJane

Previous

Return to How to Begin