How much fat and protein is safe to consume?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How much fat and protein is safe to consume?

Postby Alycia 123 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:48 pm

What percentage of calories should come from fat?
What percentage of calories should come from protein?

Is it OK to eat more fat and protein than Dr mcdougal recommends? What are the implications?

Do whole sources of fat likr avocado, nuts and seeds clog your arteries?
Alycia 123

Re: How much fat and protein is safe to consume?

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 am

Tracking macros is not necessary. Just eat whole plant foods. They are exactly what our bodies need. Read through the How To Begin stickies at the top of the How To Begin board. You will find most of your answers there.

Eating differently than the recommendations means you will not reap the full benefits. The program is whole and sound. It is backed by decades of research and practice. It just works.
Last edited by Lyndzie on Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby openmind » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:20 pm

Alycia 123 wrote: Is it OK to eat more fat and protein than Dr mcdougal recommends? What are the implications?

It's like asking, 'what will happen if I smoke a couple of cigarettes a week? Will I get lung cancer?'

The answer is: no one knows. Just be aware you are increasing your risks, the farther away from the guidelines you stray and the longer you stray from them.
openmind

Postby Alycia 123 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Thank you for your response :-) :D :P
Alycia 123

Postby Jeremiah » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:44 pm

Although I kind of see what you're getting at, I don't think it's a good comparison to compare tofu and avocado to cigarettes. My impression is that fatty whole plant foods can be included in a healthy, lean person's diet in small amounts without incurring any harm. If my impression is mistaken, I'd like to know.

I actually wish there were more specific guidance in this regard. I'm lean and healthy and have never been overweight in my life. No diabetes or heart disease and I'm very fit and active. How much avocado and tofu would Mcdougall consider reasonable for me? I honestly have no idea, and can't seem to find an answer.

I eat about 3 avocados a week (currently, but over the years I've gone months without them), but would love to know if this is in any way potentially detrimental to my health, or if I could even eat one every day without harm, or if I'd truly be better off never eating them at all.
Jeremiah

Postby pundit999 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:31 am

The days you eat one avocado and don't eat much tofu or other high calorie whole foods, your fat percentage is about 20% (assuming you consume 2000 calories a day)
(30 * 9 + (2000-30*9) * 0.08 )/2000

A typical McDougall diet will have 5-10% fat. So you are a bit off.

You are closer to what Rip Esselstyn recommends. Probably OK but not what Dr McDougall wants us to do.
pundit999

Return to How to Begin