What about THIN people on McDougall diet?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

What about THIN people on McDougall diet?

Postby moshpitsgod » Tue May 07, 2019 12:55 am

I am 38 years old, 5'8" and weigh 62 kgs. I am thin and slender, would this diet make me more thin? Infact I want to put on weight. Moreover I and diabetic too. So any suggestions from experienced people or teachers of McDougall diet. Every where people are talking of weight loss but nothing for weight gain in right way and to lower sugar levels.

How long does it take for the sugar levels to drop down to normal? And what to eat to get those results?

Regards
A
moshpitsgod

Re: What about THIN people on McDougall diet?

Postby Downsouth » Fri May 10, 2019 2:36 am

I'd be very keen to hear answers to Moshpitsgods question too!
I've lost a fair bit of weight recently, I'm pre-diabetic, now down to 130lbs at 5'9", lots of comments from people on my weight loss.
I sometimes think a diet with more fat & protein would be more beneficial to me, then I read lots of people overcoming diabetes on the McDougal, and similar, diets.
Everywhere you read of conflicting advice, and each site seems to have compelling evidence and studies backing up their theories on why a certain diet is better than others. So confusing as to what to eat these days!
Thanks, Dave
Downsouth

Postby calvin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:12 pm

I am 38 years old, 5'8" and weigh 62 kgs. I am thin and slender, would this diet make me more thin? Infact I want to put on weight. Moreover I and diabetic too.

38y/o, 5'8", 62kgs = 137.lbs sounds quite resonable to me.

The only intelligent way to gain weight I know of is to gain muscle mass - that means exercise.

Diabetes is caused by the storage of fat in cells which are not designed to store fat. The fat in question is dietary fat. Therefore, the ideal way to control diabetes intelligently is to get animal products and processed plant oils out of the diet. It's pretty simple but not necessarilly easy. The establishment medical community is enamored with the falacious but very profitable belief system that carbs cause diabetes and that stable blood sugar is healthy blood sugar. A healthy person's blood sugar goes up and down as appropriate and as expected and as is desirable; it does not stay level. Using meds and/or insuline to force a constant blood sugar level is naive and off target.

Try masteringdiabetes.org for more on diabetes.
Edit: corrected .com to .org

Meanwhile, this WOE is a giant step in the right direction for pretty much anyone, regardless of symptoms. Keep reading and asking questions.
Last edited by calvin on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
calvin

Postby Ltldogg » Fri May 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi moshpitsgod,

moshpitsgod wrote:I am 38 years old, 5'8" and weigh 62 kgs.

At the stats you listed, you are at a healthy BMI of 20.8. So my first question is why would you want to put on weight? And especially with you being diabetic?

moshpitsgod wrote:...would this diet make me more thin?

If you follow the program, you will not get too thin (read unhealthy). You found the correct sub-forum for your question (How to Begin), so I suggest you start here and read through the link for How to Begin Pt 1:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58221

moshpitsgod wrote:Infact I want to put on weight. Moreover I and diabetic too. So any suggestions from experienced people or teachers of McDougall diet. Every where people are talking of weight loss but nothing for weight gain in right way and to lower sugar levels.

Dr. McDougall on Diabetes:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/diabetes.htm
Dr. McDougall on Weight Gain, Weight Charts and perception:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl ... weight.htm
Jeff Novick on proper weight management with Calorie Density:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/2019/01/10/ ... anagement/
Jeff Novick's full Calorie Density video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg

moshpitsgod wrote:How long does it take for the sugar levels to drop down to normal? And what to eat to get those results?

How long is based on the individual's situation to include current weight, meds, other health factors and most importantly how much they implement the program. In other words, there is no exact number. However, if you follow this program and stay on program you will get results and maintain them.

moshpitsgod wrote:And what to eat to get those results?

Again, refer to the How to Begin Pt 1:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58221

What you need to do is read through all the material which outlines the program, how to implement, what to eat, when to eat, etc (it's really simple, does not require tracking food or counting calories). Definitely watch Jeff's Calorie Density video. Then implement and stay on program and you will enjoy improved and sustained health.

Best Wishes,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Morris » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 am

calvin wrote:
Try masteringdiabetes.com for more on diabetes.

That link does not work did you mean masteringdiabetes.org/ ?
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby calvin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks, Nancy, you are correct. I corrected my post.
calvin

Postby John McDougall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 pm

Weight loss: Read my July 2003 newsletter on how to gain weight:
http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... weight.htm

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Return to How to Begin