How much oatmeal should I eat?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How much oatmeal should I eat?

Postby Alycia 123 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:28 am

How much oatmeal should I have dry?
I'm 22 years old female, 56kg 166cm
Alycia 123

Re: How much oatmeal should I eat?

Postby Lyndzie » Mon May 20, 2019 5:01 am

So the idea of the program is to eat as much as you need. It can take a little time to figure out what amount you like. It also depends on what kind of oats you are using, whether or not you like a big breakfast, what toppings you put on it, etc.

Here is a PDF that includes a recipe for oatmeal (it’s all the way at the bottom). It calls for 1/2 cup. That’s s good starting off point.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: How much oatmeal should I eat?

Postby Willijan » Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 pm

I converted your kg and cm to lbs and feet, approximately, and got 123 lbs and 5'6", which gives a BMI of about 19.9. This is well within the acceptable range, so it seems that your main health goal might not be losing weight.

I would experiment with different amounts of oatmeal and different toppings and see which ones tasted good and kept me full for the amount of time I needed before my next meal or snack.

I am 5' 4 1/4", with a weight of 109--110. I used to eat 1 cup of raw thick-cut oatmeal for breakfast, cooked with 8 dates and topped with a whole apple. At some point my weight was going up and I was unsure why. Eventually I decided to cut back to 3/4 cup of oatmeal, 6 dates, and 1/2 or 3/4 of an apple. I found that this kept me satisfied, and my weight went back down several pounds to 109-110.

Recently I have tried something that sounded terrible to me, but turns out is quite good: 1 cup of raw oatmeal, 12 oz pkg. of frozen broccoli, or a largish amount of chopped spinach, cooked with garlic and sprinkled with soy sauce. This breakfast tends to keep me full longer, and the calories are lower than the one with dates. But I still eat whichever one I want that day.

It isn't critical how much oatmeal you choose to eat. The important thing is to eat compliant whole foods, and make sure you are full to satisfaction. If you find you are gaining or losing too much weight, change the amount you eat or change the calorie density of your meals.
Willijan

Return to How to Begin