Beginning Questions

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Beginning Questions

Postby sirdle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:21 pm

hallelujah wrote:Thanks to all of you for your replies. IM ON BOARD! Now, what about keeping my hair red! I have been dying my hair about every 2 months for years, and I have heard that the dye has carcinogens. I just had a minimal skin surface only Melanoma removed from my back and want to eliminate chance of that "C" word. Thanks again.

What about henna? From Wikipedia
wikipedia wrote:Commercially packaged henna, intended for use as a cosmetic hair dye, is available in many countries, and is now popular in India, as well as the Middle East, Europe, Australia, Canada, and the United States. The color that results from dying with henna depends on the original color of the hair, as well as the quality of the henna, and can range from orange to auburn to burgundy. Henna can be mixed with other natural hair dyes including Cassia obovata for lighter shades of red or even blond, or with indigo to achieve brown and black shades. Some products sold as "henna" include these other natural dyes. Others may include metal salts that can interact with other chemical treatments, or oils and waxes that may inhibit the dye, or dyes which may be allergens.
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:30 pm

That’s quite interesting. I have never heard of hair dye being carcinogenic. If that’s the case, my mom is a ticking time bomb!

Whole Foods has some hair dyes as well, but red is a tricky one to get right. I’d stick with whatever you’re doing, just don’t eat it.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby hallelujah » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks again everyone. I am no longer going to take Magnesium or D-3. I haven't heard Probiotics talked about here. Im guessing that the body or food produces that too, right? I have B-12/B6/Folate tabs in one. Appropriate combo or only B-12?
hallelujah

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:21 pm

You are totally getting it. No need for probiotics. A healthy microbiome thrives on complex carbohydrates, which you will be getting plenty of. If you want you can finish up the B-12 pills you have, but Dr. McDougall recommends just B-12 alone.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby hallelujah » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:08 am

Thanks again, Lyndzie. On McDougalls Moments, he says to take B-12, 5 mcg. How often?
hallelujah

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 pm

I take 1000 mcg twice weekly. Here are some recommended links:

Vitamin B12
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5844
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5767
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Willijan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:24 pm

hallelujah wrote:Thanks again everyone. I am no longer going to take Magnesium or D-3. I haven't heard Probiotics talked about here. Im guessing that the body or food produces that too, right? I have B-12/B6/Folate tabs in one. Appropriate combo or only B-12?

I have read reports of several studies showing a connection of folate in supplement form with cancer, specifically breast cancer I think. Dr. McDougall has written about several supplements showing problematic health effects, such as vitamin A, vitamin E, (I think these were ones he mentioned) and vitamin D. So I wouldn't take any supplement other than B-12, unless I had a specific health problem justifying it. And I would be very leery of it even then.

The opposite of taking supplements is the idea of eating whole foods. That's where we should get our nutrients. That is a basic tenet of this way of eating.
Willijan

Previous

Return to How to Begin