New here, longtime vegetarian/vegan addicted to junk food

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New here, longtime vegetarian/vegan addicted to junk food

Postby vegancore » Sun May 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new here and looking to start on the McDougall, low-fat, high carb lifestyle but am having difficulty in ditching oil and processed foods. Also, all that was keeping me from being totally vegan is cheese which I binge on when I'm stressed in various forms, mostly nachos and pizza. I'm looking to connect with like-minded folks on here and exchange info on how to do this lifestyle properly. Also, I'm looking to make the plunge and go all-in any day now, just trying to set myself up to succeed. Quick question, can anyone recommend a good and simple oil-free salad dressing for sprout salads? Thanks!
vegancore

Re: New here, longtime vegetarian/vegan addicted to junk foo

Postby victw » Sun May 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Welcome vegancore,

My go to salad dressing is hummus mixed with vinegar.
I also go with straight up vinegar. My mother used to use lemon.

What are you waiting for?

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun May 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi,

You can have make snacks - like veggie pizza (without cheese) on a whole wheat pita or homemade baked chips (cut up a few fat-free corn tortillas, season, bake) - to replace your favorites. Or, discover a whole new world... :D

Balsamic vinegar is my "go to" dressing...

Good luck!!!
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby calvin » Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 am

Sounds like you may need help with cheese. Try this 4 part (or is it 5?) series regarding coagulated cow pus:

Dr. Neal Barnard Discusses The Cheese Trap - Part 1

Cheese specifically, and dairy in general, is probably the most addictive food and therefore the hardest to kick because all mammals' breast milks are designed to be addictive to the respective neonates. E.g. cow milk ideally designed to turn a 60lbs calf into a 600lbs heifer in 6months, after which time the same milk is toxic to the heifer who has outgrown any real need for mother's milk. Dairy - very high in very toxic casein. Your best bet according to research is to go cold turkey. The "All Things In Moderation" philosophy keeps you moderately sick. Just repeating what our mentors here tell us. Your body can do this; just get the cheese out of its way. :)
calvin

Postby Willijan » Mon May 07, 2018 12:04 pm

As for salad dressing, this one isn't usually available year-round, or unless you have a garden or access to a farmer's market, but the juice of vine-ripened tomatoes (and maybe other fresh tomatoes also?) is really delicious on a salad. It's what I love, and am looking forward to having this summer. Just cut up the tomatoes and the juice gets all over everything. Also, try fresh corn in salads--or frozen corn.
You may think some of the foods on this diet won't taste good, but it is really true that what one personally likes to eat often changes on this diet. But you have to give it time, and keep coming back to foods you didn't love the first time. At least that works for me. First time, not so great sometimes. Second time, sometimes love. I would not want to go back to my pre-McDougall way of eating, even if I had a get-out-of-jail-free card.
Willijan

Postby PJK » Wed May 09, 2018 11:05 am

The Olde Cape Cod brand offers fat- and oil-free salad dressings. I like them.
PJK

Postby johnwesharris » Mon May 14, 2018 1:50 pm

I feel like going cold turkey is the way to go. I know it seems tough but something drastic times call for drastic measures. Cleaning out your pantry and getting your MIND in a place where something motivates you is key.

For me, my 2 children under the age of 2 gave me so much inspiration to know that I wasn't only doing this for myself but for the generations to come
johnwesharris

Postby viv » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:51 am

I always have a bottle of Kraft or Wishbone Non-Fat Italian Dressing in the fridge. I have been using this one almost exclusively for the past five years.

Here's a simple recipe I have recently tried that's good.

Fat-Free Vegan Dijon Vinaigrette

1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic (minced)
Dash salt (to taste)
Dash pepper (to taste)

Place all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Using a fork or a small whisk, whisk everything all together until fully combined.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby viv » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 am

About the bingeing on cheese when stressed......well the opioids in milk certainly are addictive. When I was feeling out of control around food in the beginning I would zap a potato in the microwave and there's something about a potato that immediately calms me down and stops cravings, (that something I later found out was serotonin).

www.serotoninpowerdiet.com/blog/?p=89
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:54 am

Dressing for salads or can be used as a dip..Fat free hummus about 1/8 of a cup,& chunky salsa ( use fresh) mix together
Yummmm! Enjoy. RAS
SilverDollar123

Return to How to Begin