Completed third day

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Completed third day

Postby Shari_in_SD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi,

I just completed my third day. I am amazed at how much I am craving fat. I even had a dream about it last night. I am also sleepy. I have successfully not had any Peanut M&M's at work although I bring them with me. I am wondering if that may be why I am sleepy. Before whenever I got tired I ate a few M&M's.

Thursday is going to be hard because it is my first day of this when I am not working all day.

Shari
Shari_in_SD

Re: Completed third day

Postby Ejeff » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 am

If you are sleepy and/or feel hungry, eat some starch a potato or some rice, keep your energy up. Or a piece of fruit, it’s amazing how good an orange tastes.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Shariinsd » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 pm

It is funny you mentioned oranges because when I was planning on what we're having for dinner on Friday I thought an orange sounds like a great dessert
Shariinsd

Postby victw » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Shari_in_SD wrote:Thursday is going to be hard because it is my first day of this when I am not working all day.

Shari

I'm curious - why would it be harder?

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Shari_in_SD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:08 pm

It is harder to eat well on my day off because I am not on a schedule as much as usual. Also if I have something happening for example today the plumber was coming, I get nervous and want to eat. However, I did well today. I made a pot of 3 sister soup which is sweet potatoes, corn and black beans, I also made a container of rice. In my opinion, I ate a lot but everything was valid. a banana, corn on the cob, 1/2 sweet potato, oatmeal and rice. I only got the munchies a little in the late afternoon. The only real hard part of the day was when we got an add for a pizza place and it had a picture of 5 cheese pizza. I was surprised that both my taste buds and my emotions reacted to this. I threw it out. :)

Shari
Shari_in_SD

Postby johnwesharris » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 am

Shari,

I understand your perspective. We as people are crippled by the very addiction to certain tastes. We also have to realize this as an individual the same way that a person who smokes or drinks or does drugs approach their problem. We have to cast away all those bad things and replace them with healthier habits. For me, once I mentally grasped the fact that I was addicted to these things and they controlled my life (and not the other way around), it helped me see things more clear.

So I say this to you. Get rid of all things bad. Having these things around remind you and trick your mind that you need them. There will be a transitional phase where you find yourself tired and groggy but so does every addict when they don't get what their body is accustomed to consuming. This too shall past though.... just be smarter than the advertising companies who have projected these "necessary" products onto your life :)

Do well...
John
johnwesharris

Postby Rotoceratops » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:04 pm

johnwesharris wrote:There will be a transitional phase where you find yourself tired and groggy but so does every addict when they don't get what their body is accustomed to consuming.

Thanks for posting about this! I had not heard that recovering drug addicts go through a phase where they're tired and groggy. I just did some googling and found a number of people mentioning it. I also came across something they call PAWS, for Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, which seems to be an umbrella term for tiredness, grogginess, and other problems that can come after the addict is over the initial pain of stopping the drug.

It sounds very plausible to me that most Americans (including me) have been suffering from some sort of food addiction, and so we're in for some difficult periods similar to those of recovering drug addicts. Do you have any information, or leads to information, on the time frame for that tired and groggy period, or the course that it follows in different people? Even a personal anecdote would probably help me "see things more clearly".
Rotoceratops

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi Shari,

Congrats on changing over to the McDougall plan. Following the McDougall way of eating is easy; you just have to plan ahead. First off, starches are the key. Your daily intake has to be centered around starches, which will make up the majority of your calories. Secondly, you can cook starches in bulk and store them in your fridge and freezer to easily have them to take to work. Lastly, you add a little non-starchy veggies and fruits. Eat when you are hungry and until you are comfortably full, regardless of the time of day. Don't measure foods for calorie reasons, only if you need proper measurements for cooking (like 1:1 dry rice to water ratio).

There are plenty of free resources from Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick on these forums & website to help you along the way; use them. But you can also ask us questions or show us what you eat so we can comment and help you out.

Good Luck,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Rotoceratops - this post was especially helpful to me today! I had been picking up some bad habits the past few months (actually, more like 9 months), and on day 3 of being back on plan, but had been feeling a but crummy. Thanks for the post!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby johnwesharris » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 am

Rotoceratops wrote:Do you have any information, or leads to information, on the time frame for that tired and groggy period, or the course that it follows in different people? Even a personal anecdote would probably help me "see things more clearly".

Rotoceratops - I don't have an exact measure of the amount of time it takes to get over this period. For me personally, it starts to occur once you mentally are able to realize that this plan works. I have a few words of advice...

1. Cut the caffeine in the initial stages. This helped me get my momentum into knowing that I do not need to be dependent on anything to have motivation and will power to do ANYTHING. I'm about 4 months removed from caffeine and it's been awesome. I don't even think about needing a coffee in the morning, however I do have my herbal tea :D

2. When I tend to get tired, I try to be hyper aware and instead to succumbing to the feeling (unless it's bed time of course), I tend to work out or keep myself busy doing SOMETHING....ANYTHING. That includes running, laundry, dishes, yard work, etc... By the time you're done, you'll forget you were tired and your significant other will appreciate the help!

3. The side effects of QUITTING often bring signs of depression. Quitting something that you've been accustomed to for many years, whether food, alcohol, drugs, will temporarily bring your mental state to a crawl. Having the know withal that there is 'light at the end of the tunnel' once you start to see results really starts to invigorate your spirits and starts to give you energy to push yourself even further than you thought was possible. Results are what matters in this fight for freedom!

4. Place signs around your house (I know it sounds cheesy) with quotes about what is inspiring you to do this. For me, I placed signs with the text "I love food but I love my kids more" around in about 5 different areas of the house (bathroom, fridge, cabinets, living room) to remind me why I do this. In the beginning this is important because the odds are against you. Majority of people dont see this transition through so every little bit helps.
johnwesharris

Postby americaninca46 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 am

Hi Shari, So happy that you are trying to be healthier the right way. This site has all the tools you will need to succeed. Getting all of the old foods and temptations out of the house will help a lot. Having lots of good foods around will surely keep you satisfied. When I began eating whole food plant based a year and a half ago, I never looked back. I refused to feel deprived of animal products. I could see and feel grease clearing out of my body. I felt sharper and more energetic. And after loosing 60 pounds, I feel so great. I don't like to cook so I only cook once every week and a half. I make a huge pot of veggie soup. Thick and full of squash, sweet potato, kale, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms and peppers. I use a tomato base sauce and stewed tomatoes, Italian seasons and pepper.
I freeze this soup and when I eat it later I add corn and peas and baby potatoes. Sometimes brown rice for a change. I change the soup a bit every time I make it. (16 litres). I don't eat out much except for Freshii's which has many on plan dishes. I eat an apple a day also bananas, cherries, oranges. I have a hot breakfast every morning. Oatmeal, 7 grain cereal, rye flakes, or brown rice. Now, I am not perfect. I get a craving for popcorn and indulge it. I want dark chocolate, but limit what I buy and eat. Love ketchup but only use it as seasoning. I do not watch commercials on TV. I do not linger over magazine recipes. I do not try to replace old style foods with healthier versions, I just made a total change and try not to let past thoughts of greasy unhealthy foods dominate my thoughts. I only weigh myself every few weeks and I don"t measure my food. I have no support other than this discussion board. My friends tolerate me, but do not want to give up their unhealthy eating. It breaks my heart to see them getting sicker every day. If I were to give any advice, it would be this Just do it, do it right, do it for yourself and enjoy it because you will live longer and be happier in the end. Plus you can prove to yourself and to every one in your life that there is more to life than living to eat. EAT TO LIVE. All the best on your journey. Eating this way has given me a new lease on life. I am healthy, take no meds. My arthritis is gone. My heartburn and upset tummy are gone. Food does not control m life. I wish you happy healthy eating. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Grammy Ginger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:56 am

Good for you! Keeping going one day, one hour at a time. You are stronger and worth a whole lot more than a stupid piece of pizza. You did well by eating healthy choices when you felt hungry. Keep it up!
Grammy Ginger

Postby patty » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 am

The learning curve is very deep. I practice HALT, don't get too hungry, angry, lonely and tired. Preparation is the key. And we have a lot of wonderful members that will support you on your journey. Let everyday, every meal be your first and the next meal, the next day will follow doing what you are doing. You are home. Slipping is the nature of addiction, as addiction tells the addict they don't have a disease. Food kicks butt as drugs and alcohol can be put on a shelf, but with food it has to be walked it each day. The only place you have to go is up. Know your family is here.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Chumly » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:22 am

There's definitely an adjustment period when making such a big change in your diet. I have always found the first week to be difficult. The fatigue, cravings and overall sense of well being is difficult the first week. I think comparing it to addiction is important and accurate way of dealing with this. If you stop smoking, drinking or any other addiction, you are going to feel worse before you get better. It helped me to embrace the suffering because it meant I was going to get better soon and live a much healthier life.

Michael
Chumly

Postby TravisHead » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:43 am

That's quite a coincidence you brought up oranges! Just the other day, as I was figuring out our Friday dinner menu, I actually thought an orange would make a perfect dessert.
TravisHead

Return to The Lounge