I'm new here

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

I'm new here

Postby Dewayne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Just wanted to say hi. HI! I started watching Dr. McDougall's youtube videos shortly after reading a story about a man who ate nothing but potatoes for 2 months (you all probably know the story). Anyway, third week on a starch based diet and I'm down 7 pounds and feel great. The first two weeks I ate potatoes and nothing else. This week I began adding rice and beans. I stay as full as I need to and haven't missed meat or dairy one day. That's saying a lot since at 53 I'd never gone a day without meat and usually drank a glass of milk every night before bed. I look forward to reading the different stories and recipe ideas from you all.
Dewayne

Re: I'm new here

Postby viv » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Dewayne!

Congratulations on your fantastic start, you have jumped in with both feet! This diet is the miracle that keeps on giving and ensures that you will live your healthiest life, looking good and feeling great. What could be better? What motivated you to begin?

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Dewayne » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:55 am

viv, I was motivated because of weight gain following an illness. In 2013, I underwent 9 months of treatment that took me from an unhealthy 238 to 193. I'm 5'11", so the weight loss was a good thing. The problem was how I lost it. Quickly, and usually from throwing up. Over the next few years I put the weight back on. So, closing in on the end of July I decided it was time to do some research and look for something that would be sustainable. I remembered Penn Jillette talking about teaching himself how to change his approach to eating by beginning with a potato with nothing on it. When I started looking into potatoes it naturally lead me to this story https://www.forksoverknives.com/getting-well-on-twenty-potatoes-a-day/#gs.gOVLKFw which lead me to do more research that lead to Dr. McDougall videos. So here I am, 53 and rebooting my palate. My goal is to lose 10 lbs a month until my BMI is in the low 20's.
Dewayne

Postby viv » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

That's great that you are now losing weight on the world's healthiest diet. I too love potatoes, they are my favorite starch! We are in this for life. Yeah!!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to How to Begin