A few quick start up questions please

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

A few quick start up questions please

Postby tlauria » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi,

I became a vegan three months ago but now need to move more toward McDougall's plan as I haven't noticed more than a little difference in my joint aches. A few questions:

- I love nuts and nut butters, and avocados. I am not overweight- can I continue to eat these freely as I don't have to worry about weight, or are they actually limited for another reason as well?

- Flax and chia seeds- I love these too! And they do provide fiber and omega 3. Same question as above since I don't have a weight problem.

- Unsweetened Almond Milk is not high in fat or calories. Any reason I need to move to rice or soy milk or can I stick to the almond? I have probably about two cups a day in a smoothie and overnight oats.

- Tofu or soy ok? Edamame?

- and finally: Whole Wheat flour? The breads I am finding have whole wheat flour (I know to stay away from enriched whole wheat flour)

Thank you so much.
Tiffany
tlauria

Re: A few quick start up questions please

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:20 am

tlauria wrote:- I love nuts and nut butters, and avocados. I am not overweight

Congratulations! You can eat the most liberal form of the McDougall food plans!

can I continue to eat these freely

Yes

-
Flax and chia seeds

Yes

- Unsweetened Almond Milk

Yes

I have probably about two cups a day in a smoothie

No. Dr. McDougall wants us to eat, not drink, our calories, and not for weight loss purposes but for glucose absorption reasons. A smoothie brings a quick burst of sugar to our systems, setting off chain reactions of chemical and hormonal reactions. Chewing the food, digestion and absorption of the nutrients is much slower, natural.

- Tofu or soy ok? Edamame?

Yes, with some exceptions. Mary McDougall says to use the "lite" version of tofu. Dr. McDougall doesn't allow isolated soy proteins, so things like Gardein "Beef" Strips or Boca Burgers - almost all those frozen, premade fake meats - are out. Engine 2 brand at Whole Foods does have some acceptable frozen burgers. Soy beans/edemame, and tempeh are fine.

- and finally: Whole Wheat flour?

Yes - any whole grain flour is allowed. Just read labels on breads carefully to make sure there are no added fats - by any name - or dairy. Some companies use the terms "mono- and diglycerides", which are chemically created fats, and "casein" instead of the milk itself. There are only a handful of commercial bread brands that meet Dr. McDougall's criteria, and not all breads within that brand.

If you go to the green bar above and hit the drop-down menu labeled Education, scroll to Recipes, then scroll to Canned and Packaged Foods, you'll find the lists of many of the name brands of all the products you just asked about.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ged-foods/

But the list hasn't been updated in a while, and companies do change recipes now and then, so always read labels.

You may want to see a simplified summary of the basic McDougall program, too. Again, in the Education tab, read The Free Program and Dr. McDougall's Color Picture Book, and when you have even more time, go to the far right of that menu bar to Quick Start to find 2 videos by Mary McDougall explaining what to eat, how to cook it, and how to order McDougall meals when away from home. Once you do all that, you'll not only have answers to all your questions but be an expert at the McDougall program. :)
VeggieSue

Postby greentea » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 am

Couple of more things, Almond milk is fine, I use it in on my soaked oats.

I agree with what VeggieSue said about Smoothies,but IMO, this comes under the "don't overthink it" category, especially if you are not overweight.

Tofu, tempeh, soy milk, edamame are fine. It is recommended to eat them in moderation because they are higher in fat. Isolated soy protein is not recommended so stay away from any products containing these. Having said that, read the label on lite tofu. The only lite tofu I have ever found is made with Isolated soy proteins. I would rather eat regular tofu in moderation. Again, if weight is not an issue for you, then I wouldn't over think it.

Here's the colouring book VeggieSue referred to, it's awesome! https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/cpb/
greentea

Postby tlauria » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Thank you both- VeggieSue and greentea
tlauria

Postby Willijan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes, nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, and other high fat plant foods are limited for other reasons than weight. I don't know what you mean by "eat freely", but to get the health benefits of this diet all of us need to keep the percentage of fat in our diet very low.

I have read what Dr. McDougall says is the percent of fat in his diet; it was around 7 to 10 %. That allows for very little in the way of high fat plant foods.

I strongly suggest you read one or more of Dr. McDougall's books, and his writings on this site. That is where the best information is, not on the discussion board.
Willijan

Postby tlauria » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks Willijan
tlauria

Return to How to Begin