From Raw to Starch -ve effects eating starch HELP!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

From Raw to Starch -ve effects eating starch HELP!

Postby laniloo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:38 am

Hi All.
I've been high-carb, low-fat raw vegan for a year (and thriving). Prior to this I was a healthy, whole foods vegan, grain free, but high fat. Prior to going raw I had stiff aching joints as well as severe bloating & digestion problems. All of these issues went away while eating high-carb, low-fat RAW.
Inspired after reading "The Starch Solution", I decided to begin slowly introducing cooked foods and starches to my diet again, while continuing my usual raw for most of the day.
I started by adding cooked organic white potatoes. Big mistake. For over 2 weeks my stomach was distended, I was gassy, my digestion was poor and I was extremely uncomfortable. I persisted for 2 weeks thinking it was my body adjusting to cooked foods again before deciding it was too uncomfortable and going back to raw for 4 days to give my body a break and the symptoms went away.
Then I introduced cooked organic carrots - no problems (so it clearly wasn't the introduction of cooked foods causing the digestive problems when I was eating the potatoes).
Now I've added cooked organic brown rice and within 3 days my finger, toe, ankle and neck joints are aching and stiff, although my digestion seems fine.
I'm really, REALLY disappointed that I'm experiencing discomfort and a return of old symptoms on The Starch Solution. I absolutely believe in what Dr McDougall says, but my body didn't experience ANY of these problems on raw.
Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone experienced any of this? I'm thinking about going back to raw for the rest of my life!
laniloo

Re: From Raw to Starch -ve effects eating starch HELP!

Postby Bkworm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:05 am

Try eliminating all nightshade veggies from your diet along with grains and see how your body responds. I deal with RA. While potatoes do not give me any problems, the only grains that my body tolerates are corn, quinoa, and buckwheat. From your description, you may be dealing with an autoimmune disorder of some type such as RA. You will probably need to continue to experiment with various foods to determine your personal food triggers. It would appear that you already know your body does not tolerate potatoes or rice. Just be aware, any food is suspect for causing a problem until you prove otherwise for your body. What I can eat could cause you extreme problems while foods that you can eat without issues could put me in bed. You just need to keep experimenting with various foods to determine what your body will tolerate.

Have you see this article by Dr. McDougall?
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... arthritis/

Also, here is the link to Dr. McDougall's Elimination Diet information:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... s-to-food/

But, again, remember just because a food is listed on the Elimination Diet does not mean your body won't respond adversely to one of the foods listed. When following an elimination diet, I went two months without much relief. Then decided to eliminate all rice and oats. Received immediate relief almost overnight when I eliminated those two grains. Had previously eliminated any and all foods containing gluten which helped a lot but did not completely resolve my issues.

It can be a long process to identify all your personal food triggers but well worth the effort to finally experience good health.
Bkworm

Postby laniloo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:00 am

Thanks for your reply Bkworm.
I've been pretty much nightshade free having been raw for 12 months (only nightshade I was eating was tomato), and because I've felt so good for so long, adding one thing back into my diet at a time was the logical thing to do to assess how my body reacts - it's unfortunate that the first 2 things I've tried I've reacted to!
I stopped the rice 2 days ago and was craving starch yesterday - I couldn't resist having some of the potato I'd cooked for my daughter, but the thought dawned on me to try eating it without the skin, and sure enough, potato WITHOUT THE SKIN seems to digest ok..... interesting..... Any thoughts on this??
My next grain was going to be corn, so I'll definitely give that a try and see how I feel in comparison with rice.
It has been suggested that my gut clearly stills needs healing. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this while living a plant-based lifestyle? Does one DEFINITELY need to take probiotics in order to heal the gut, or should it occur as a natural part of living a plant-based lifestyle? Advice welcome!
Thanks for further insight.
laniloo

Postby Bkworm » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 am

Excellent that you have determined that you can eat potatoes without the peels. I am so concerned that one day I am suddenly going to find out my body no longer tolerates potatoes. Since I can't eat rice or oats or anything with gluten, potatoes are my main starch. I purchase so many potatoes, the manager of my grocery store refers to me as the potato lady.

Would love to know how our bodies decide exactly what it will or will not react to. I still wonder why I could eat rice and oats with no problem my entire life and the first six months I followed this WOE but then at about the six month mark, my body decided it would no longer accept either grain. I can eat cooked tomatoes but no fresh tomatoes, go figure. There are very few fresh fruits that my son can eat but he can eat cooked or canned fruit. Grew up in Florida so have had easy access to citrus my entire life but now I can't eat it at all, any sort or kind.

Just stay consistent with your elimination diet and the WFPB WOE and your gut will heal, not over night but it will heal slowly but surely. I took probiotics for a short period and noticed no difference so just stopped. But my gut has definitely healed just eating this way. I have been following this WOE four years this month. The main reason I started was to see if it would control my RA and keep me off those severe meds. It definitely does that plus I have lost 90 pounds with more to go. My overall health is so good now, I only see my PCP once a year to get a prescription for hypothyroidism which has definitely improved also. Am off several meds I had taken for years, such as one for high BP and one for A-Fib which was also a high BP med. Only ever had one episode of A-Fib but was still put on meds for it.

Just so thankful I found this WOE and all the fantastic people who participate and are so willing to share their experiences and knowledge.

Stay consistent and you will heal.
Bkworm

Postby verde » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:42 am

Don't quit the starch just yet! I was raw for 5 years and it took my body a year to adjust to eating starches again. It might take you less time since you were only raw for a year though!
I can tell you, in the long run, raw diet isn't the healthiest way to go...people don't talk about this but there are many long term raw food people who have high triglycerides which makes them gain weight when they before wouldn't! Also it creates havoc in your serum sodium levels and many of us have had hyponatremia which btw if you don't know can lead to death. Raw is an excellent way to give our bodies a break but it doesn't work on very long term basis (after years the effects turn around).
Starch solution is way more sustainable and has a good impact on triglycerides, which allows you to maintain overall health and healthy weight even on a long term basis (lifetime).
Give your body time to adjust, be patient and persistent, just like it took you time to adjust to the raw diet at first, likewise it takes time for your digestive system and overall body to adjust to starches. But it's worth a lifetime of improvement.
Hope it helps. Stay strong! You can do it!
Cheers!
verde

Postby laniloo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:28 am

Thank you so much for your reply verde - you give me hope! I'm glad I'm not the only raw-bie on here that has transitioned to starch based - how did going back to starch affect your body? Did you find yourself more energetic?
My body had started really craving starches again so I started actually LISTENING to it rather than sticking to "what I should be doing"... I found a YouTube vid suggesting drinking a liter of water before a starch-based meal (in her case potatoes, similar to me) so I'll give that a try too - maybe not a whole liter but maybe a glass or 2 - see if that helps with digestion. I am noticing that I feel very 'dry' after eating cooked foods - I'm sure you can relate!
Onwards and upwards, I shall persist!
:)
laniloo

Return to How to Begin